yanks-abroad defending their 23 tickets selection

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DannyUpper90, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the A-League isn't a big American destination. And there aren't a lot of Americans playing in Latin America or elsewhere in non-Europe (K-League and J-League). But there are some, and Yanks Abroad (the website, not the BS forum) doesn't care too much about them. (For example, Michael Orozco, playing for San Luis in Mexico isn't even listed on the site).

I know that most Americans who play abroad play somewhere in Europe, but my hunch is that will change as we go forward. Right now, if I were a promising 20-year-old (ah, to be a promising 20-year-old) looking strictly at developing as a soccer player, I'd much rather be in Mexico or Argentina than in Norway. (Yes, the clubs do pay more regularly in Norway than in Argentina.) Heck, I might even prefer the J-League. So I suspect that, as American players get taken more seriously and as fewer of them go to college, they will end up going abroad outside of Europe--including to the A-League, which seems to be getting better. And Australia is a great place to live, I'm told.

So I think Yanks Abroad, and others, should decide whether they're interested in covering yanks abroad or yanks in Europe. There's no shame in focusing on the latter, of course, but I don't think it's cool to act as if the former and the latter were the same thing.