Yankis can't jump!

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 5, 2002.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, and maybe some skinny, dirty but talented kid from the villas miserias in the outskirts of Buenos Aires will stop kicking a ball and start jumping to the hoop. But somehow I doubt it.

Argentina is not getting worse at football any more than the USA is getting worse at basketball. It is just that in sports anything can happen on any given day. Argentina can fail to advance to the second round in football, and the US can lose to Argentina in basketball. But realistically, those are the flukes and aberrations that make sports exciting. regardless of what happened, Argentina is still good enough to beat anybody in football, just as the US is still good enough to beat anybody in basketball.

2. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    LOL!!!

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    oh my!

que paso hoy....llevaban hasta 8 pts de ventaja
    se dejaron empatar y a over time!

murieron con el arma de los 3pts de Jugoslavia..

4. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    just for fun....

i think it is universally acknowledged that the us basketball team was not full of stars...elton brand is good, but a star or even one of the top 25 players in the NBs is not even arguable...and argentina fielded its best.

if this was a futbol match and the US fielded its top team...who would be the equivalent for argentina? (C, D, Z-team)...understand my question?

i mean who would be argentina's equivalent of the US basketball team (i.e. no top stars, just good players) and would they automatically beat a us futbol team with mathis, donovan, reyna?

i think i just confused myself..

5. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually this post hit the nail on the head. One thing I'd add is that the reason we're seeing teams like Argentina producing NBA quality players, and soccer teams like the USA producing top soccer talent is we're becoming a more global society. Soccer is finally starting catch on in the US. As the world cup proved top quality international soccer is viable entertainment to the American public. Conversly the popularity of basketball seems to be growing all over the world.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I understand your question. Interesting thought.

Since the top Argentine players are playing in Europe, I think that fielding a team from players who play in the Argentine domestic league would probably be an equivalent of the US team that lost to Argentina in basketball.

So we have an all-star team from the Argentine domestic league playing against the US national team. After watching the US play at the World Cup, I would not say it is an automatic win. (Hell, not even Argentina's 'A' team would be an automatic win, the way they played in Japan). But if I had to bet I would put my money on Argentina's domestics. Especially if they are playing at home, as US basketball was.

One thing for sure, it should be a great game.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Aftering thinking about it I am pretty surprised that the US put out a team that EVEN ON PAPER wasn't as good as the Yugoslavians. Only two players even made the third team allstars, they also only practiced for two weeks. This goes beyond ridiculous.

8. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    you are wrong!!... do you think that the US could beat a team with cavenaggi, estevez, tevez, barros - shcelotto, and more??? i doubt that...

mut time will tell

9. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we couldn't then Colombia wouldn't have a chance ;)

10. CHILENOOO

CHILENOOO Member

Nov 19, 1998
    NJ
    jajaja

well said Crazy yank!!....short and to the point.

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That’s funny since the Yanks haven’t beaten Colombia since 1994. :)

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What do you mean I am wrong? I said that I would put my money on Argentina's domestics to win.

Of course, if the Argentines would come to play with the same attitude that the NBA basketball players had, thinking that they don't need to practice and that they can just win by showing up, then the US would probably beat us.

13. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA! USA!

The other teams in the world are certainly getting better and are now forcing the US to rethink how they prepare for international competion.
    The US doesn't really have a national teThe US will be the best in basketball for the next 100 years!
    am "program" for basketball. They have is a "selection commitee". Everyone knows the excuses for why the NBA boys lost, as we were reminded over and over during the Championship game broadcast by PJ Carlisemo and that other guy.
    I think the experience in these worlds will wake up USA Basketball.
    The players admitedly did not know how seriously other countrys treated this comp. "Now they know, and knowing is half the battle"!
    I can't wait till 2006.
    Congrats to Argentina, Yugoslavia, Spain and even Lithuania with a 2 point loss in the Sydney Olympics .

14. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Not really. But that is their B team. US Basket ball team wasnt B team. It was more like D team with 2 B teamers(Miller and Pierce).

USA "A" can beat a team with Tevez-Cavenaghi as their B teamers and then a bunch of scrubs. HEck Arg "A" only barely beat them last time.

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    es solo una analogia!

USa has about 3 or 4 A teams....
    the rest of the world are close to A teams from USA
    this time the NBA teams did not help, and those guys were refills not the real thing. That dos not take anyting away from argentina - spain or Yugos!

see you at the olympics!

16. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2 draws one loss since 1994 with a much worse team than we have now. You know, the team that has out scored El Cry 10-1, and won 5 of the last 6 matches. Get to the back of the bus :D

17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I fail to see what the Yanks record against Mexico has to do with the fact that the US has not beaten Colombia since 94. :)

Oh I almost forgot it 2 loses for the US you seem to be forgetting the 1-0 win for Colombia on Feb 3 2001. :)

18. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    and all the games had the usa at home!

from the back to tha bus.....keep pushing like crazy, they ran out gas

19. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is that it's stupid to run smack on a team that has been spanking your team for the last 2 years.

20. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Maybe you failed to realize America de Cali is a Colombian team and I am Colombian. So as I said the US result against Mexico mean squat to me.

21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not true the 4 to 1 thrashing we handed them in 95 was in Uruguay.

22. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair enough. I thought you were Mexican. At least we were at the world cup, you know quarter finalists. How did Colombia do at the world cup?

23. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm sure you know the answer to that question. Still doesn’t change the fact that the US hasn’t beaten Colombia in over 8 years. Hopefully Colombia and the US will meat at the Confederations Cup next year. :)