Yankees want Klinsmann

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Psychosis hsv, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HerrRupert

HerrRupert BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2005
    madras

this time was one of the highest viewed and attended wc ever so nobody will change anything

2. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    he went to the semis at home thats ok but not really great even korea managed that
    i think jogi is kind of schmallspur but lets see

3. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was the best run, best organized World Cup I ever saw. However, the play on the field sucked for the most part!

When I say FIFA need reforms, I mean to stop the diving and play-acting!

Franz Beckenbauer spoke out on that himself!

And "we Yanks" aren't too stupid to see that without Franz having to tell us!

Unlike much of you.......

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Korea did it with more than a little bit of help from the referees. Germany did not need official assistance.

It's so funny how a man can be the toast of the country one day and then right after that, he's nothing and did nothing.

I think that's just straight a$$hole of you. All of you.

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Again, I was talking about the action on the field. Only a dumbass would think someone would come on here and say that wasn't one of, if not the best run World Cups of all time.

6. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    the games were rather better as in say 2002
    well play acting was always part of the game it can not be completley stopped and i think some more yellow cards were giveen for that this time
    in generaly i think to many fouls were given for even mild tackles

7. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    no thats the course of live in football...
    you havent been following the game for too long i presume?

8. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras

i agrre with korea though but then again thats korea and not germany
    i think you are just bitter because the us was not really that great...

9. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you assume wrong.

I've been following the game for over 30 years.

I used to be a reporter and am considering an offer to do it again part time.

And like you, I don't want drastic rules changes, but something has to be done.

I hated the Golden Goal too, but it sure worked for Germany in 1996, didn't it??

10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're talking about GERMANY matches, then I would agree, but not on the overall play in the tournament. 2002 was much better played in my opinion.

Actually, I don't think there were enough given for diving.

In many cases, yeah. In some cases, the matches just got out of hand too. Either way, it's the fault of some of the officials for not grasping control of the matches.

11. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras

both the reds ag the usa were completley underserved the 1st was clearly played the ball
    2nd he wanted to play the ball yellow at most
    what rule changes do you want exactley?

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you don't know me at all and are making too many assumptions.

Yes, the USA is my country, but I'm a fan of THE GAME!!

I was happy to see Germany's run to the semis as well as the progression shown by some of the African teams.

Although, I do think Germany should have lost to Argentina and they can thank "Peckerhead" (Pekerman), not Klinsmann for that victory.

13. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    italy afg the french foreign legion was quite good of course that banliue trash could not keep his temper so was us vs italy arg vs serbs most german games i also enjoyed the penalties at engl vs portugal lol

14. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    mmmh maybe but they could also have won ag italy in penalties but any way should have would have etc... does not count

15. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    who is Jim Rome??
    ilived 3 years in nyc but never heard of him

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If a player is stretchered off, there should be a certain time period he has to stay off the pitch before he is allowed back on.

Too many times in this World Cup, we saw players fake injuries to either stop counterattacks or slow the opposition's momentum.

I want the referee to show a yellow card every time he judges that a player dived trying to draw a foul. No warnings between that and a second yellow if he does it again. Show a straight red for an obvious dive in the penalty area. Suspend for two to three matches when players get second yellows for diving.

Am I being too harsh here? Probably.

But, diving is cheating and cheating is unsporting conduct.

You get red cards for unsporting conduct in this game.

Too many times, a player dives and he's just told to get up. Penalize them and much of it would stop.

I want a second referee on the pitch. Many of the problems officials had in this World Cup was because they just couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. The officials run much more than most, if not all of the players do during the course of the match. These men just cannot keep up.

Drastic, yes, but some integrity needs to brought back to this game. I found it fitting that the Italians won the "ugliest played" World Cup I've seen in my life.

17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Depends on when you lived in NYC. Jim Rome is the biggest national sports talk personality in the USA. He has been for I think about six or seven years now.

And he HATES our game. And he pretty much gets his legion of followers to believe that our game is the worst thing in sports.

I've talked down many a Rome follower while I lived in San Antonio. Hell, I even converted a few.

18. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras

i am ag 2nd refree but maybe professional refrees would be good
    i am totally ag video proof
    but i a gree as for diving the refree either has to give y/r for a foul or for a dive if a player falls the ugliest haeh? that was italia 90
    usa 94 and kj 2002 were worse
    football is ultimatley a defensive game (thats why i do not like klinsmann so much) and italy together with arg were the 2 best teams of the tournament they deserved the win

19. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    2003-2006
    never followed the yank sports (basketball amer foot baseball)though to ********ing boring funny that they think football is the worst thing considering what they are watching lol
    tried to watch mls once (metrostars) terrible...

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I disagree. Mastroeni almost crushed Pirlo's ankle to get to that ball. I think about the only place that might not be a red card is England......

If you're talking about Pope, that's right.

Yellow at most. It was his second yellow.

And he deserved it.

I feel Pope's second yellow was a blessing in disguise. To me, that guy was our WORST player at the World Cup. Him, then Donovan. I didn't want Pope in the lineup against Ghana and that red card kept him out.

Coach Arena would have thrown him right back out there.........

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the way our people are "trained" to think. Sadly, too many Americans simply believe what they are told by the media instead of going out and experiencing things for themselves.

At least that's how I see it.

I completely agree. But it's all we have and it's our game's best hope of getting a foothold in the USA.

The league is improving. Slowly, but surely, the league is improving.

But we need to allow the league's best talents to come to Europe. They won't get any better in MLS.

The perfect example of that is Donovan. You could clearly see his regression between 2002 and 2006.

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think being a "professional" will solve the problem of one man just not being able to keep up with the pace of the game.

I'm against it being used for every standard situation, but I'm not against using it to decide whether a goal should count (Over the line, offside, etc.) or not.

If the referee decides that player is trying to cheat, then yes, I think he must.

I guess I block the bad part of that out because that was my first World Cup here in Europe (I was stationed in Erlangen) and Germany won!

Disagree.

I agree that Italy deserved to win. I don't know about it ultimately being a defensive game. If that's so, then how does Brazil win so much??

I don't have time to go further. Have to get back to work.

23. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    And Bruce Arena is now..no longer the coach

Bruce Arena's Eight-Year Tenure As U.S. National Team Head Coach Ends

U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati announced today that the contract of U.S. Manager Bruce Arena will not be renewed when it expires at the end of 2006, ending his eight-year tenure as the team’s head coach. Arena is easily the most successful coach in U.S. Men’s National Team history, compiling 71 victories and a .658 winning percentage, both all-time team records.

24. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hmm, impressive coaching records!

I guess that's the point where someone has to say enough. Plenty of coaches are readily available for the job after the WC (more or less like a end-of-season merchandise sale): Sven; Scolari; Lippi; Pekerman; Pfister; Advocaat; Kranjcar; Janas Pawel, Hitzfeld, Daum; Klinsmann (after 6 months perhaps) ...

25. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I was surprised that a referee of Merk's stature could not see that was a fair upper body challenge on Pimpong. I would say this penalty was one of the very obvious and crucial officiating blemishes in the tourney.

Well in 2 group matches you guys played with a lot of grits and very close to pulling a huge upset against the Italians. Hard luck not to advance further.

I don't realise that football is so "unpopular" in the States as I recall sometime ago that the sport was ranking higher than #8 in the almanac or something in terms of attendance or gate receipt or no. of pro players etc etc.

Thanks for digging the details anyway.

On FIFA, I agree with you they are just not doing enough. Officiating errors have ruined many games or otherwise this tourney should be one of the best, if not the . There was no improvement in terms of the standard of referees over 2002 but a step backward. I think you cannot give all the authority to just one man and 2 assistants on the pitch to determine the fate of a national team. And you are often talking about billions of audience and dollars at stake. It is just stupid and unfair to everyone which only lead to unnecessary conflicts, despair and loss of lives (no kidding). With the advance of audio visual equipment so readily accessible, proper refereeing can only be improved with the aid of science. Ruby; American football; track and field; tennis... many many major sports where human judgement has already sought for scientific assistance, I don't know why football refereeing fail to do the same.

On USA soccer, most of your folks grow up with and are influenced by as many kinds of sports as you have ranked them. The habit is hard to break.
    I don't think for a country which has been doing so well in literally most major sports, you should have a prolonged pressure of finding adequate talents to play soccer. So it's a matter of re-allocation (winning the severe competition) of resources, not the lack of it.
    Afterall it's nice talking to you again!