Yankees want Klinsmann

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Psychosis hsv, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Didn't the DFB chief decide that he wants to keep Klinsman no matter what happens on Friday?

3. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    At this point I'd hope it depends on what Klinsmann wants to do and not the DFB.

4. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that's old! Klinsmann already said that he isn't interested at all!

5. Natrium

Natrium New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Schland
    They can have him for all I care. I want him to be dropped after the WC anyway. "coach of Klinsmann's caliber" yeah, right... They don't seem to get that Klinsmann is just a stopgap because all the big name coaches like Hitzfeld and Rehhagel didn't want the job.

6. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He said he isn't thinking about it right now, and he was going to say that regardless of his interest. Would you really expect him to declare his interest for the job a few days before a WC quarterfinal match?

Regardless of what happens, Klinsmann will be a target for the USSF until he signs an extension with the DFB.

7. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh yeah, damn were we lucky not to get Hitzfeld or Rehhagel, so the boring sleep wagon football finally could end!

8. Natrium

Natrium New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Schland
    Going out Holland style or Boring but successful? I choose the latter, it was never any other way.

9. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

«Das sind Spekulationen. Das interessiert mich in keinster Weise.»

http://de.sports.yahoo.com/060626/12/8i28.html

The DFB boss Zwanziger wants him to stay regardless of the quarterfinal result, the players want him to stay (Ballack said it), the perspective with the german team is much better than with the US and the DFB has lots of money. So the USSF better targets another coach

10. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Actually Holland played like Germany under Vogts, Völler etc and look where they are now and where Germany is!

11. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The question isn't the opinions of the players or the DFB. The question is whether Klinsmann wants to spend another two years flying from California to Germany and back as well as the intense pressure that comes from managing die Mannschaft after a successful World Cup.

I don't know what he is doing, and I'm sure he's not the only man on the list of coaching candidates. You just shouldn't read much into a manager's comments on interest in other positions while he is preparing for a big match.

12. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really can imagine Klinsmann to become the new US manager after this WC!

Would be a pity for Germany...but if he goes, we'll hopefully find a good replacement for him (Hitzfeld).

13. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    with US players playing in Europe he still had to travel often enough over the great pond, so this argument is kind of silly

14. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hitzfeld is anything else than famous for working productively with young players. Besides that he is defensive tactics combined with counter attacks kinda suck, and that's something I have to say as Bayern fan, who had to bear them long enough. Additionally Hitzfeld missed it to develop in terms of tactics in working abroad as a coach in terms of tactics. So I only can say, Hitzfeld, no thanks!

15. fresh aah

fresh aah New Member

May 16, 2006
    Hamburg
    one shouldnt underestimate the role Jogi Löw is playing, for some say he's the brain of the coaching staff.
    i dont know if thats true, but it would be interesting to see how Klinsmann is doing in a different constellation, when he has to make decisions on his own.

16. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    If Hitzfeld wasn't interested in managing Germany in a German World Cup I have a hard time believing he would take over directly after it. It would make him look like a coward and his success would be credited to Klinsmann.

17. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I would like to see Loew get a chance if Klinsmann leaves. We can't change tactics again after 2 years.

18. penubly

penubly Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Other than the fact the Klinsi lives in California, I can't see any outstanding reason for him to want the job.

It's definitely a move down in terms of prestige and opportunity. The outlook for the German NATS is pretty good compared to the US NATS. Germany is a major world power in soccer, and the US is an emerging power in CONCACAF. Unless the US starts playing in the S. American championship, there is only a major tournament every 4 years. The US is improving but it is still in the soccer "wilderness" compared to Germany. Until MLS starts playing in a traditional schedule, that is another issue for a NATS coach.

There would probably be less external pressure in coaching the US NATS.

Having said all this, I think Klinsman would be a good coach for the US.

19. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    http://www.soccer365.com/US_NEWS/Nat...1_122787.shtml
    "At the moment, I'm only interested in my job and that has to continue to the final."

No coach would ever say anything else in the midst of a World Cup. It's meaningless.

That doesn't mean I think he will join the US, just that any comments he makes now have to be taken in context.

Personally, I think he'll stay for sure if Germany reaches the semis. If they lose tomorrow, I'm not sure.

He has said that anything less than the semis is not an acceptable result. The logical result of that is that he should go if they do not make it that far. Doesn't mean he will, but that would be the logical result of his statement.

20. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Heck, a lot of people wanted Klinsi long before the World Cup

21. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    If I were Klinsmann, I would take a peep at those things and that's it. He has exceeded his quota by quite a mile this year. His next move should not a bigger worry now than the next match.

22. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know. We had many discussion about Klinsi as a next USMNT coach.

Well Klinsi need first to win the world cup with Germany, then European Cup 2008 and then American should ask me if I give Klinsi back:)....I like Klinsi a lot...he is great coach and he looks good:)

23. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to see things from Klinsmann's perspective:

I took the Germany job in the first place because nobody else wanted it and he was trying to help. And he did it on the condition he could commute from California. And I seem to recall that he hinted it would be a temporary, stop gap situation.

From his perspective, the commuting from California has to become very draining, and it takes him away from his wife and kids, his first priority, for long periods of time.

Thus, I wouldn't be a bit suprised if Klinsmann stepped down after the cup, regardless of the end result. It could go either way - maybe he's now amped about how well Germany have peformed, and has really related to the players. Or maybe he's sick of commuting and being away from his family. It's hard to imagine he'd be up for another 2-4 years of flying back and forth between Germany and CA twice a month.

All that said, I would see Loew taking over if Klinsmann leaves.

And if Klinsmann has the coaching bug, and if he's in to challenges (and his history says he is), then maybe, just maybe, he'd be interested in the USA job. Afterall, the USA training facility is just a 40 minute commute from his Huntington Beach home. But then again, he'd still have to do lot's of flying. The USA is a big country, and the USA would make frequent trips to the Carribean, Central and South America, and the occasional Euro or Asia trip.

24. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the yanks were smart they'd try and outpay roman and the russians and get Hiddink to coach the US. he has done wonders with Korea and recently with the Aussies, the guy is flat out amazing. I can't wait to see what he does with a pretty sour russian side for the euro and WC.