Yankee in non-league

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by m66b, Sep 21, 2004.

1. m66b

m66b New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    England
    I am a german living in england now and noticed an american player who was in germany is now playing non-league football with a team called worksop town. the lads name is chris cleary. he was in germany and played really well but disapeared after a string of injuries. i spoke with a friend and he said he signed a noncontract. what does that mean? i knew he was with karlsruher (2nd league in germany) but he never showed up in a match. he did, however, score a lot for some other team he played for, but i dont remember the name.

2. m66b

m66b New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    England
    so... ok. i found out what a non-contract is. i read he is just getting healthy before he hopes to move on. he should... he works hard and is a fighter. i also read he was a midfielder in college and did not do much. he causes people to fould him a lot and scores a ton, but hes not very good in the air. how many people go to non-league games?
    who is this other american gregorio? i see he signed in darlington? is he any good? i live near there.

3. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    The range of levels in non-league football make it difficult to give a quick answer to questions about attendances.

At the lower end, teams will get attendances of a few dozen.

At the top end (i.e. the Conference), the average is around 2,000 a game, but with big differences between the better and worse supported teams.

4. m66b

m66b New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    England
    thanks, but i am confused why this kid, cleary, would play there (non-league) when he has some real talent. i know, i have seen this guy play. he plays so hard and scores goals.

5. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    You've already answered that one yourself.

Quite often as a loan deal we will get someone from a club higher up the ladder dropping down for a while. In his case he will get some match practice in, and with luck attract the attention of an English league club.

6. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    i must say that since Cleary just scored 3 goals in the FA match, I have been flipping through a bunch of web sites of Non League sguads. I want to go and visit England soon, and will try and catch Reading and a few prem. clubs.

I will try and get to some Non League matches as well, it will be great. Any suggestions? And how about the Sunday League? One more question to you all, what about pick up games in your areas?

7. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    http://www.tonykempster.btinternet.co.uk/gridsindex.htm

A few fixtures there for you, to find something in the area you're in at the time, although I'd always try finding another source to confirm the fixture before you actually turn up, a reliable club/league site too.

Sunday League is just a lot of blokes playing for fun on a Sunday, find a park if you want to see anything, you'll stand a good chance of seeing something (although a crowd of one might be a surprise to them).

8. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore

Thanks, i ll do that. And the website i will look through, it should be fun.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  10. DixieDean

DixieDean New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Nassau, Bahamas
    papa surf said
    Go and see:AFC Wimbledon

They are in the midst of a 76 match unbeaten run (an English record for a "senior" side). They regularly play before crowds of 3,000+ for their home matches at Kingsmeadow and have the largest away following of any non-league side in England (probably all of Europe as well).

They play in Ryman league first division.

The Premier League
    The Championship
    League One
    League Two
    Conference
    Conference South
    Ryman Premier
    Ryman First - AFC Wimbledon

They have a truly rich and varied History and some of the most intelligent and friendly supporters in England.

WDON listen to Don's matches on the web!

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Just an update, but through December 4th, 2004, Chris Cleary has made the Worksop Town squad for 18 first-team matches while playing in 16 of them, has scored 9 goals on the season (including a goal each in his last two matches), has been named Sponsor's Man of the Match 4 times, and Webmaster's Man of the Match 3 times.

FYI,

The Magpie