Yank Women On Foreign Wnt & Wynt

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BostonRed, May 4, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what does that have to do with Canadian citizenship? -- Not FIFA eligibility. Canadian citizenship.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp:
    See the last point.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm pretty sure Canada has figured out if she is eligible.

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That list I quoted is those who are not eligible. So the last point basically says, if you are 2nd or later generation born outside Canada and did not retain your citizenship before the new law, you have lost your citizenship. Basically, there is no grandfathering clause in the new citizenship rule about applying. The only thing grandfathered in is if you are already a 2nd generation or later who applied you don't lose your citizenship.

This doesn't apply here, since she's under 28, but the new rule also says that if you are a first-generation born outside Canada and are over 28, you are now still able to apply for citizenship. So if my grandma were still alive, and hadn't applied for citizenship before the age of 28, she could apply for it now.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'll leave it to any Canadian law expert to cite whether any special exceptions have ever in history exempted athletes from standard citizenship requirement under FIFA's "Any Player who ... [assumes] a new nationality" requirement.

Again. This is FIFA. It's not Canadian Law. FIFA even has statute that require member nations to accept FIFA laws that are contrary to FIFA law to remain part of FIFA.

A final time:

Herdman is not a moron. If he named a player, it's pretty certain she is eligible.

7. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    You do realize that what your quoting keeps saying "nationality" and in this context nationality is interchangeable with citizenship. So according to those rules, Quon would need to have nationality/citizenship from Canada to play and some connection there such as a parent or grandparent who lived there. That is why Canada's citizenship rules matter. Do you really think Canada is gonna break it's own rules just so a female soccer player can play for them?

No, as BostonRed already posted, ProSoccerTalk says her father qualifies her, which we can interpret as saying either he was born there, or she had already applied before the 2009 date. And that's why they are just waiting for CSA approval.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I have citizenship in the USA and Argentina. Your argument is a non issue.

So,I posted parent or grandparent initially and I'm wrong?

Please explain.

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Huh? How does that apply to anything being said here?

No, you were claiming that citizenship does not matter at all, and that a player only needs a parent or grandparent. But everything you have shown shows that you need citizenship and in cases of acquiring new nationality, need to have a link such as a parent or grandparent in addition to the citizenship (in order to prevent those scenarios where countries were naturalizing a player with no connection just so they could play for them). This has nothing to do with Quon who clearly has a connection and we were simply wondering how her connection fits in to the Canadian citizenship law. We were in no way doubting the valididity of Herdman's claims.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Are you claiming a player can only have one nationality?

International law allows more than one citizenship.

I have two and two passports. It comes in handy when I want to fly within Argentina. Neither country recognizes the other.

FIFA doesn't care.

As I look at FIFA rules, I can actually claim 5 nationalities.

I'm 65, and I can play for the USA, Argentina, Poland, Germany, and Sweden. If I had spent 3 more months in Spain, I could have played next to Puyol. I'm not sure on the Catalonia requirements.

It's all in the paperwork.

Are you really thinking that Herdman is a complete idiot?

11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Uh no... I have never said any such thing*. I even pointed out that my uncles have Canadian citizenship. I guess I didn't specifically state that they were born in the US just like my father and grandma, but I thought it was implied. And all my cousins now have dual citizenship and some even have triple citizenship (US, Canada, and UK). But the point is they all needed to qualify for citizenship with those countries according to that country's laws. And I was wondering how (not if, mind you) Quon qualifies for Canadian citizenship according to their laws as the phrasing "family connections" is not very specific. If you can't tell, I have a keen interested in nationality law for places like Canada and the UK because of my "family connections," and I just wanted more details.

*Edit: Heck, even look at the 10th post in this thread, where I explicitly state that Sydney Leroux has dual citizenship.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Ok, people need to lose the idea that national laws apply. Fifa rules trump everything when it comes to soccer. Every national FA agreed to that when they joined.

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Please show the Fifa rules that state you do not need nationality/citizenship with a country to play for there. You have not shown that yet.

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I'm not claiming that. I'm claiming that you can have more than one nationality, and thus can claim more than one passport and citizenship. What every FIFA World Cup requires in its organizing rules is a passport as evidence of citizenship.

Il'l refer you to the usa state department that acknowledges that citizens can have other passports and they will not contest except in cases of national security.

The USA does state they might have an issue if you are a USA citizen and are a diplomat of a foreign country that has a conflict of interests. Otherwise, they don't much care.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Please don't make me produce two passports. I'll charge you for the privilege of seeing them.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That has nothing to do with the FIFA rules and you know it. Why do you keep bringing up FIFA rules as proof you don't need citizenship somewhere and then try to use non-FIFA rules that say you can hold multiple citizenships as proof that FIFA doesn't require nationality/citizenship? Every FIFA rule you have posted and every one I can find myself states the player needs to have nationality with the country. FIFA does not say you get nationality to the country just by having a parent or grandparent born there, they say if you acquire nationality to somewhere you must have a connection such as that to be able to play for there.

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC

Uh, yes you did:

If you're just arguing about holding more than one nationality, I've never disagreed about that. I've even pointed out where I have previously said it exists. I'll even point it out again... My mom's mom was born in Scotland. My mom has dual citizenship for goodness sakes! I don't doubt it exists or is legal or anything. I know it is perfectly valid. In fact the reason I know so much about citizenship rules for countries like Canada and the UK is because of my own quest to try to obtain dual citizenship for myself. But I did not feel I needed to mention all that because it has nothing to do with this topic. Nobody here has ever stated that you can not have citizenship with multiple countries.

And yet you keep claiming I'm wrong about something. So if it's not that I'm wrong about FIFA requiring you to have nationality somewhere in order to play for them, what exactly is it that is wrong?

Namdynamo and BostonRed repped this.
  17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Ok, you are absolutely right. herdman is an idiot, as am I. FIFA won't allow Quon to play for Canada ever. you are completely right that Quon doesn't meet any FIFA regulations about eligibility to play for Canada.

I have no idea what I was thinking.

See you in Toronto.

18. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nobody here, other than you, has ever said that. I even specifically stated:

I have no idea what you were smoking that you thought you were reading that anyone challenges the validity of Herdman's claims anywhere.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

You weren't claiming the validity of Quon's eligibility?

My bad. Must have been that last shopping trip across the river to Washington and those "shopping" opportunities...

See you in Toronto. I'll be the guy comforting Rachael in the stands because she can't play.

20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nope, my original question was "What exactly does 'family connection' mean?" All I wanted to know was her family connection that qualified her for citizenship. Call me nosy, but I like to know that stuff.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I answered that.

Parent or grandparent, lacking residency requirements.

We know she was born in Illinois.

22. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    If you walk up to a Canadian consulate and tried to get a Canadian passport with only that statement, they would send you home. I wanted to know the details. BostonRed posted that ProSoccerTalk stated that it was her father. That's what I wanted to know.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Funny, whenever I have gone to a consulate they asked for my ID and standing to get information on my own details.

But good luck with Quon's.

Let us know what you get back from the Canadians.

24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    *sigh* Either you are trying your hardest to be the biggest troll on BS, or there is just something wrong with you. I'm done trying to talk reasonably with you. Have a nice evening.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, or you can't get that private data is none of you business. I'm pretty sure Canada and Fifa will sort it out.