Yank Women On Foreign Wnt & Wynt

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BostonRed, May 4, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure she's quite made it into the mix yet, but she's expressed an interest in playing for the Israeli National Team:

Sarah Friedman
    UPenn graduate
    ASA Tel Aviv
    US Maccabiah Games team, 2009
    http://www.jewishexponent.com/article/24418/Kicking_Into_High_Gear_in_Tel_Aviv/

One of her teammates at the Maccabiah Games (and at ASA Tel Aviv), Mairav Shamir, moved back to Israel and has had 12 caps as a GK for the Israelis (including WWCQ & UEFA Q). She was born in Israel, but moved to the US at age 2. Can't confirm she's a US citizen as the Maccabiahs aren't strict on citizenship, but worth being aware of.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another possible that I stumbled upon while looking at her Boston Breakers profile:

Furtuna Velaj
    International: Suited up and scored a goal for the Albanian Women’s National Team in an international friendly against Macedonia on Nov. 10, 2011.

In an article I found online, it mentioned a couple of interesting points:

"I didn’t have the US national citizenship as well, so now that I will be getting it I will be getting closer to it.”

and

"Yet Velaj still seeks to represent the United States in international play. Ever since she saw the U.S. win World Cups, Olympic medals and watching the team play on TV, she has pictured herself playing with the team."

Unlikely, since she hasn't seen the field yet in her first year as a pro, but perhaps she will develop her game over time.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another dual national on the Boston Breakers roster:

Alejandra Velasco
    Colombia
    GK
    Born: NYC

Was on Colombia's roster at 2011 World Cup, but didn't play. Doesn't look like she had any caps heading into WWC, but she may have appeared since then, though she is their 3rd choice GK.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And one more before I head back to work:

Anisa Guajardo
    Mexico
    2012 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying (scored hat trick against Dominican Republic)
    Born in Fresno; currently at Pepperdine and with the Pali Blues.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking over the Olympic rosters, I spotted one other player who *may* be a US citizen, though the ship has sailed anyway. Roxanne Barker is the #1 GK for South Africa and has 6 caps with the team. She was born in RSA, but was raised in Irvine, according to some reports. She plays for Pepperdine.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm digging around through the Olympic rosters and that led me to Catalina Perez of Colombia. She's the alternate keeper on the team and is 17, a HS junior in Boca Raton. I can't confirm her citizenship (I wish people would learn the meaning of the word "native" -- causes me call kind of confusion). But it's always interesting that teams look to US high schools to fill their rosters.

Another player who I confirmed is a dual citizen, is Yulie Lopez, born in the US. She tried out for the Colombian Olympic team but didn't make it. She has camped with some US U-14 & U-18 teams in the past. She just finished her junior year in HS in Florida as well.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Mexican Women's Team:

Jennifer Marie Ruiz Brown (now known as Jennifer Ruiz-Williams)
    Defender
    Reported as born in the US, played for Nevada
    Plays for Bay Area Breeze (WPSL)

Scored a couple of goals in CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tourney this year.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think I read an article about her this week or last week. I can't find it now though. I assumed she was already on this list:( FWIW, it appears bing has a new feature where it brings up a little information on Olympians. Also, her facebook page is a first result.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have SO MANY Mexican-Americans on the list, I had to check a couple of times. And there are plenty more based in the US, but of unknown citizenship. Maybe we can get Mexico to enter a team in the new semi-pro league.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I thought you were responding to my Ruiz post. Guess I should read the original first. :inlove:

11. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think any of these girls would regret their decision? For example, Ali Riley at New Zealand might regret it. If she had just waited a bit, surely she would have been in line to replace LeP before O'Hara. If so, she would be a starter for the U.S. right now.

12. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Doubt it, sure she will probably not win any big tournamnets with NZL (or even take a medal) on the other hand she have already played four major tournaments (WWC and the Olympic) now at the time where she probably would make the next big tournamnet for USWNT.
    And NZL are not in any real danger of faling any qualification anytime in the short or mid-term future. (Sure anything can happen, but with current setup they are the team in the Soccer World that are most sure to make their qualification for WWC and the Olympics)

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    agreed.

tho, ali riley (if available) would have received a phone call/email from pia the moment a lawyer/doctor told ussoccer that they would not be allowed to put chalupny on the field ever again. her first tourny with the uswnt would have been last year's wwc.

i tend to agree tho, that an athlete in riley's position goes forward without regrets - especially because, as you said, nzl has no threats to qualification for wwcs and olympics.

if she takes care of herself she could be playing for a very long time, and she may be there for the ascendancy of nzl women's soccer.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Ali has talked about this before and realizes that she wouldn't have gotten the same opportunities with the US team, at least not as early as she did. Countries (like Mexico) will use the depth of the US pool against us, much like we have used to get the German-American men.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U-20 World Cup is underway and that means a few more dual citizen Yanks on a couple of teams.

ARGENTINA

Gabriela Iribarne

MEXICO

Arianna Romero
    Arianna Martinez: pool player for US U-18
    Amber Hernandez
    Amanda Perez
    Tanya Samarzich
    Daniela Solis

Bianca Sierra, Ashley Kotero, Olivia Jimenez and Sofia Huerta are also on the roster, meaning about half the roster is US citizens once again (and probably some others we don't know about).

Candice Osei-Agyemang is playing for Ghana. I didn't see any duals on the Canadian roster, but I'll look again.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Arlo White, Noelle Sanz, on the Costa Rican NT, was born in California (she plays HS soccer there as well). She has also played for their U17 squad in CONCACAF qualifying.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And one more on the Costa Rican team, Mayra Almazán, who plays for UC-Santa Barbara. She was born in West Covina, California.

18. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The latest U17 squad for Ireland includes Payton Goulding, Kaitlyn McNamara, Orla Martin and Megan Lawlor all from the states. 2 years ago Kerry Glynn and Zoe Boyd (both Vermont) played for the same team as did Jill Maloney who will be playing for Georgia next year. She has been in and out of US camps too. She is also included in the latest U19 squad. Joining her in that squad are Mary Fitzpatrick, Shannon Kerwin and Courtney Bronson. On the senior squad now we have Michele O'Brien and Fiona O'Sullivan. We have quite a few Canadians and a couple of English girls and a Scot playing too.

BostonRed repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting stuff I found when I looked up one of the girls:

[Goulding's] club took on other all-star teams from other states across the U.S. in the prestigious Elite Clubs National League. At a recent game, scouts from the Irish national team invited 10 players from the league to try out for the under-17 team in Dublin. From that, Goulding was selected as a center back for the national squad.

I also found these 14 year old girls in the mix:

http://merrick.patch.com/articles/merrick-siblings-vie-for-spot-on-irish-national-soccer-team

Niamh and Rebecca Woods (confirmed dual citizens)
    Says they were among 13 Yanks invited to try out (not sure if this is the same pool as the U-17 or if they are in a separate pool).

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shanna Hudson
    Born in Los Angeles, appeared in U-17 USWNT camp in 2003
    Haiti WNT
    Played at USC & Cal State Northridge

Looks like Tanya Taylor was also on the most recent Haitian roster (against Australia). She went to high school in California and played at UCI. Can't find any confirmation of US citizenship.

According to the Haitian team's Facebook page:

Yolande Merone, Tanya Taylor and Shanna Hudson are among those given a fresh opportunity by Borkowski. "This game offers us an opportunity to try out less experienced players ahead of our World Cup qualifiers," said Borkowski.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I know a girl who competed for Haiti at the Olympics. I'm not sure any member of their Olympic team had actually been to Haiti.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda like the Saudi Arabian women, eh?

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rosters are in for the U17 Women's World Cup. Not a ton of US-based players at this level except for Mexico.

CANADA: Taylor Bucklin
    MEXICO: Cynthia Pineda, Samantha Arellano, Hallie Hernandez, Jenny Chiu (confirmed US citizens);
    Jessica Valdez, Jocelyn Orejel, Taylor Alvarado, Luz Duarte, Esthefanny Barreras, Natalie Rivas (US-based, but no confirmation). That makes 10 of 21 players based in the US.
    COLOMBIA: Maria Jaramillo plays for Michigan Gators, but looks like she lives over the border in Windsor, Ontario.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another random player who was in the last U17 WWC (at age 13):

Caitlin Fryer
    South African: played in U17 WWC in 2010; U17 WWC Qualifying in 2012; U20 WWC Qualifying in 2012
    Lives in Pelham, NY
    Her father is a US native who moved to South Africa to play rugby professionally.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alexa Vojvodic
    Senior at SUNY Geneseo
    Dual US & Croatian citizen. Called into camp for 2011 UEFA Qualifiers. She has a page on UEFA.com, but doesn't show any appearances.

Natalie Cikos
    Frosh at Northwestern
    Natalie has extensive international experience, playing with the Croatian Women's Full National Team, the U-19 Croatian Women's National Team.
    She's made 4 UEFA appearances.
    Can't confirm her US citizenship, but she did go to HS here.

Susana Zigante
    Frosh at Grand Canyon U.
    was the starting goalkeeper for the U-19 Croatian National Team who qualified for the European Cup Championships during the 2010-11 season where she played in both the first and second rounds...made the U-19 squad at age 15 and has competed against such teams as Russia, Ireland, Cypress, England, Portugal, Norway, Holland, and Bulgaria... is a dual citizen of USA and Croatia
    Another interesting point I found: Zigante comes from a high performance soccer background as her mother, Gretchen, was a former US National Team player, first US women's professional soccer player and former head women's soccer coach at Cornell University. Her father, Ziggy, was a professional soccer player in the former Yugoslavia, Austria, England, and the United States.
    Based on a little research, mom might be Gretchen Gegg (though US Soccer shows a Gretchen Gregg).