Yank Women Abroad

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by mamalia, Aug 27, 2013.

1. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    She seem to be dual US/Italian, at least QBIK wrote that she would shortly become an Italian citizen when they in March 2014 signed her for that seasson.

2. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, she has an Italian passport too, forgot to mention it...

JanBalk repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Any idea how Morgan Marlborough is doing with Glasgow City?

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She went back to the USA in November. I think they were sorry to see her go.

7. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Why would she leave before playing against PSG? The NWSL doesn't start for another few months?!?

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Champions League quarter finals 22 March for Glasgow v PSG, I guess her NWSL team will be in pre-season already.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindsay Zullo who is also on the Haiti NT, has signed in Sweden. May make it tough for her to get back for NT matches (budget constraints on the Haitian side).

10. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Do the Div 2 teams pay their players?

11. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tierp IF is in the 3rd tier, Div 1.
    As for paying their players. On that level they normaly just covering expenses (or a few bucks more), but it is not unheard of for teams trying to get promoted to get and pay one or a few players as full or half-time proffessionals.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a new one. A Swedish team wants to bring in an underage American onto the professional squad ... and it's a 16 year old girl!

Article (in Swedish): http://corren.se/sport/lfc/strode-kan-bli-kvar-i-lfc-7791313.aspx

Translation:

LFC Courtney Strode wants to stay in the LFC. LFC want the 16-year-old should stay. If she gets.

- FIFA rules make it is not always easy. There is a problem, but we are working on finding a solution, said LFC's coach Martin Sjögren.

American talent Courtney Strode, who turns 17 this summer, has been in Linköping since last week and remains and train with premier league top team indefinitely.

The hope is to obtain a contract extending over the whole season. The problem is that the international football body has special rules for transitions in terms of players under 18 years.

- A really exciting players. I hope and believe that it dissolves. Until further notice, she can be here on his tourist visa, says Sjögren.

15. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    She's moving sooner than Horan did.

16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    never heard of her.

is she supposed to be a good player?

will she get psg $$ in sweden? if not why would she do it?

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    preseason starts in march, no?

18. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've never heard of Courtney Strode. She doesn't seem to be on the radar for the US girl's and women's teams. Nor have I heard of Linkoping FC. How good a team is it?

Strode has an impressive highlight video on youtube -- but then a highlight video is by definition impressive. She reminds me a bit of Sofia Huerta -- with a kind of wild-horse-of-the-pampas-head-for-the-goal mentality.

It will be interesting to see how she does. Has the US missed identifying a good one?

19. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Don't know. I just know Horan left at 18 for Europe. But Strode is new to me also. Is she even on the U-17, U-19 (any youth level)?

20. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    One of the 2-4 teams that currently fights of being no2 in Sweden (and can beat Rosengård if they have a good day).
    Currently in WCL QF where they would be favorites to beat Brondy if it wasn't for the fact that it is pre-season for Linkoping and not for the Danes.
    Shouldn't have a much of chance vs Lyon, PSG or the German top 4 but is at level with or better than any other European teams.

21. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #121 JanBalk, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    She may not fit well in the US system
    "– Jag gillar att spela lite "tiki-taka". I USA har bollen en tendens att vara i luften mycket oftare än här, vissa tränare ser gärna att man slår bollen långt mot hörnet och springer, säger hon."
    Translates back not sure exact what she said since the local Swedish paper only had it in Swedish and I am sure Courtney's stament originally was in English (or American ;) )
    "- I like to play a little " tiki - taka " . In the US, the ball tends to be in the air much more often than here , some coaches prefer that you kick the ball towards the corner and run, she says."

But I doubt it is much money involved since Linköping is normaly not a heavy spender. My guess would be probably matching a NWSL rookie or there about.

By the way, I kind of doubt this will fly. The FIFA rules about undergae palyers are fairly strict and unless one of her parents get a job in Sweden (and that is a bit hard) I can't really see how they could pass them.

22. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My bad, I should have written "I presume she'll be in USA in time to start the season with Sky Blue"
    Anyway, she already played 10 min. (hitting a post, too) in the Saturday 2-1 win against San Zaccaria, and nearly the whole match yesterday in the catch-up match against Pink Bari, won by Firenze 2-1 again.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in October of last year, Linköping and Liverpool met in the Round of 32 in the UEFA Women’s Champions League. The two clubs were sported Americans as goalkeepers, with Libby Stout starting for Liverpool and Katie Fraine in goal for Linköping. Liverpool won the first leg at home 2-1 but Linköping came back in the second leg, winning 3-0 and 4-2 on aggregate. The two spoke about their journey from going to a D1 school to a top European club, realizing their Champion League opposition’s goalkeeper was also American, and their outlook at being a part of the USWNT in the future.

http://www.socceroverthere.com/?p=18834

BlueCrimson and mamalia repped this.