Yallop in at Vancouver, oh, wait, make that Chicago

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Earthshaker, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there goes any and all of the pretty soccer that team will subscribe to. they got a ton of skill players too, a pity.

I wonder if he would be interested in Hernendez, Bingham, or any of our surplus???

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we get to see how Frank does with another team and different owners. If the Whitecraps do well under Frank, then clearly my analysis that he's a bad coach will be proven wrong. On the other hand, if Frank can't lead them to glory, it will at least put more data on my side of the scale.

And I do wish Frank luck, really. He's a nice guy, so I wish him well. But he wasn't getting it done in San Jose.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

Via_Chicago repped this.
  4. SterlingM

SterlingM Member

Apr 26, 2010
    PDX, OR by way of OAK, CA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beaten to the punch. This is what I get for not refreshing. :p

5. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cue the Whitecaps v. Quakes game next year. oh the humanity. :-(

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It will a veritable hoedown of hopeful long ball, a festival of Yallopian magnitude, featuring a plethora of long balls, manic crosses to no one in particular in the box, followed by the pièce de résistance: a lack of or untimely subs to finish off the game, leaving fans of both teams frustrated and confused.

Beerking, DotMPP and leocal11 repped this.
  7. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't just not get the job done, he quit. Out and out gave up. Watson kept his head and got the team turned around, but Yallop just flat out bailed on the season. Maybe he does well in Vancouver, but more likely he runs into adversity, gets that 1,000 mile stare, has the woe is me press conferences, and Vancouver tanks. I'm beyond done with Yallop.

QuietType, Via_Chicago and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  8. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Bad news for Joe Cannon. During the Ramiro tribute, joe was in the video saying, well I guess I might be joining you sooner than I thought (or something like that).

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read Cannon is retiring but I'd bet he could very well be Frank's assistant up there.

10. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Now, if Vancouver winds up signing Chavez too . . .

11. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Cannon was lowballed. Frank did not do the lowballing. Granted if you want to compete in MLS, your starting keeper should not be making $250k. But still...

This shoestring budget that the Quakes operate under has had many casualties over the years. Hell, maybe Frank was one too.

12. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't know whether he quit or was fired. All we know is there was "an aha moment" were there was apparently a mutual agreement to part ways.

You are probably right, but no one knows for sure because none of the soccer media has ever informed us of which one it was. They all probably know themselves, because they have "access", but none of them have bothered to tell us.

13. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think Yallop is a good coach - he did win the Supports Shield last year with a team that doesn't go out to get stars - and I think he will do well in Vancouver.

jetdog9 and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  14. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    smart hire by Vancouver. only concern for me is how his style will translate on turf. but he should do better with a bigger budget up there.

NedZ and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  15. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be surprised if Yallop does better with Vancouver with better talent.

17. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, you mean talent is important. Silly. Just because he had better talent with the Quakes before and won two MLS Cups doesn't mean he can do it again. Remember, the system Frank plays doesn't work, he doesn't know how to work with young talent, and he won't condition the team. Those should be the talking points.

mjlee22 repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wonder if Frank in Vancouver will trade another player like Cam Weaver (10 goals) for an all time scoring great like Chirs Wondolowski (75 goals) ?

evade6317 repped this.
  19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how you come up with your wonders.

alexiskool1991 and Albany58 repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You mean like how I knew Frank would most likely go to Vancouver? Wonders never cease!

upload_2013-10-29_13-57-50.jpeg

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not sure if this makes much difference. Every coach should do better with a bigger budget. We saw what Yallop was able to do in San Jose and looking back on both of his career stints, I think he relied a little too much on having the right pieces fall into place at the right time. Don't get me wrong, this is always a part of it to some extent, but he seemed to live and die by it in a way that some other coaches don't seem to. A little too rigid in his philosophies and a little too slow to react to things that weren't working.

My guess would be that even with a more generous budget, Yallop's teams will continue to have pretty drastic ups and downs year to year.

22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you just knew Frank was from Vancouver and so it is kind of logical he might look for work there if he could. Just like when you said Busch would want to go play for NYCFC just because he was from there. That could conceivably happen also.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. Didn't you ever hear of ESP? But I also knew he had other offers and that was why he quit in June , 6 months after winning MLS coach of the year. An easy logical deduction. I mean you quit a job (normally) when you are almost sure you have another one or other opportunities lined up.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus