Yakubu/Fernandes will they/won't they

Discussion in 'Everton' started by JERMAIN*DEFOE, Aug 24, 2007.

1. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    What sux is that he was a guest at our match and had already had a medical. My opinion of him has decreased. But, it's a business, and Benfica got a better offer, I'm guessing. I hope it's just that and not something specific about Everton.

2. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, I am re-reading, and from the soccernet article (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=457269&cc=5901) it appears that I got the figures wrong...that article claims that the fee is the same as what we had agreed to pay (12M pounds). If that is the case, then I am pissed. That just smells bad.

3. JERMAIN*DEFOE

JERMAIN*DEFOE New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    It's a little complicated.

We agreed a fee with Benfica for their 50% of Fernandes (£6m), and also agreed a fee (£6m) for the other 50% owned by a third party. Everythnig was going nicely and Fernandes had told everyone at the club he'd sign when Valencia offered £10m for the 50% share Benfica own of Fernandes. This was better beneficial for Benfica because they get £4m more for the transfer, and the third party can continue to make cash from Fernandes as they did before.

Third party ownership is ok in La Liga, but it's not allowed in the Premiership.... Tevez anyone? :p

4. IU34

IU34 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Would have been nice if the FA were a little quicker to get this settled. Taking their time allowed Valencia to squeeze in here. Be interesting if we were a bigger club if this would have been take care of sooner.

Let's just hope the work permit problems are settled with Yakubu. That would just be a disaster. Also, I hope we spend the money we had with Manny, as our central midfield can not continually consist of Carlsey and Neville. It's just so poor.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    ££££££££££££££££££££

Everton offered a bunch, Valencia sashayed in and offered more.

So ... Everton signs up to be Team Tesco, the Yakubu deal hits a snag and the Fernandes deal gets blown all to pieces. A more cynical person — and those can be hard to find — might say those moves were just a distraction and/or the Board never really intended to drop a quick £20 million on two players.

For now, I'd suggest folks just hold onto their butts and hope for a good Euro Vase draw.

6. JERMAIN*DEFOE

JERMAIN*DEFOE New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    We're not in the Euro Vase.

And that would be very cynical indeed :p.

7. canadianscraggledog

canadianscraggledog New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    London, Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Really too bad about Manny, as he is a solid player and great talent.
    I'm sure the Yakubu deal will go through as he has been playing in the EPL for a while now.

8. chifirefan

chifirefan Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Chicago
    You want cynical...you got it. *I typed a bunch of stuff here...but don't have time to defend it so I've snipped it* If and that's a mf'ing HUGE if, the Yakubu deal goes through, I'll be happier than a pig in s*it. But I won't hold my breath.

9. JERMAIN*DEFOE

JERMAIN*DEFOE New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    The Yakubu deal will definitely go through. The only reason it's not gone through so far is technicalities. He fell out with the Nigerian coach and so hasn't played the neccessary amount of games to be granted a work permit. So we had to go through the appeals process, and it will certainly be successful.

10. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Follow Everton much? There is a reason we are all so pessimistic.

11. JERMAIN*DEFOE

JERMAIN*DEFOE New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    .....It's an absolute formality. Trust me!

12. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm gonna point the finger squarely at the FA for dragging their feet on approving Everton's purchase of Fernandes' contract.

Gave Valencia plenty of time to come in and make their pitch.

Too bad too as I think he'd have really helped us. I also can't believe that Manny just upped and said "Yeah, I'd much rather go to Valencia" on a whim so I'll hold his agent partially responsible as well.

13. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Not in the Euro Vase? What's all this "European Tour" nonsense about, then? Did Everton get in the Champions League and no one told me?

-----------------

Bill, a larger salary and playing in the Champions League could very well have turned Fernandes' head. I've also read reports Benfica will receive more money up front from the Valencia deal, which could've also greased the skids.

14. IU34

IU34 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Would have been nice if we actually had this money at the beginning on the transfer market instead of the last 3 weeks. Don't really see how you can't partially blame the board.

15. JERMAIN*DEFOE

JERMAIN*DEFOE New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    'Euro Vase' is what some people call the Intertoto Cup. We're in the Uefa Cup.

And yeah, our bid for Fernandes to Benfica was £2m a year for three years. Theirs was £10m up front.

16. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm assuming we're done for this window? Everton's going to play with this group till January?

18. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    The appeal for Yakubu is tomorrow. I've heard us linked with a few others, none with any substance, and there are still three days left in the window.

So, yeah, this is probably it.

19. JERMAIN*DEFOE

JERMAIN*DEFOE New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Personally I think there might be another body on the way. The thing is the only thing we're now short of (when Yak arrives) is a real quality creative midfielder.... and those are rare, and not cheap. So don't be too disheartened if nobody else arrives.

The game at Bolton is so important, a draw would be a good result.

edit: to add to that, we've basically ended up with the same squad as last year, but better. We made sure we bought in the right areas first (Jags, Baines), and followed it up with replacing a striker for a better model. And we've started it off with a GOOD start to the season. 5th after 4 games.

20. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    I am not one of those people.

So there you are.

21. JERMAIN*DEFOE

JERMAIN*DEFOE New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    But it's never used to describe the Uefa Cup, only the Intertoto.

22. chifirefan

chifirefan Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Chicago
  23. JERMAIN*DEFOE

JERMAIN*DEFOE New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    See, it was just a formality!

24. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    When it comes to Everton, I never take anything for granted.

25. canadianscraggledog

canadianscraggledog New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    London, Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Yakubu finally signs. It had to go through, with his good scoring record.
    Just need one more midfielder. Someone to replace the lost Manny and Cahill when he's injured.

Hard to find such players as posted above, and if you do find one, they are not cheap.
    I would think Nolan would be a decent choice, he'd prob go for 3-5 mil.