YA: Tom Byer, a Japanese Icon

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2013.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://mobile.slate.com/articles/sp...se_soccer_a_player_on_the_world_football.html

Absolutely fantastic read on long-time "coach" and ex-pro Tom Byer and his influence on Asian football, mostly notably in Japan. I have never heard of this guy but it's pretty evident that his training methods and the impact on Japenese players like Keisuke Honda, Tadanari Lee, Shinji Kagawa is well respected and legendary in its own right.

Testudo repped this.
  2. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    There was a thread about him a while back - it included a video interview that was really interesting.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/tom-byer-on-youth-soccer-development.1977061/

m vann repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a few interviews on the Beyond the Pitch podcast too, recently. He has a huge contract with Chinese football to set up their entire youth development system.

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an interesting piece, but the fundamental premises are pretty faulty. Coerver is damn near universal in the US, and has been for decades. And just deciding to put a soccer segment into, I don't know, SpongeBob SquarePants would be a pretty flagrant waste of cash.

Byer's assertion at the end is also pretty ********ed up. MLS can definitely improve in terms of youth development, but playing it like we're miles behind Japan is silly and reeks of agenda-driven writing.

5. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our youth development is miles behind Japans though...I don't disagree with his statement at all. He focuses on developing technical skills for children, the USSF is focusing on giving more games to teenagers.

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. If you watch the J-league, you'll see more skill on average than in mls.

7. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    the focus on individuality and practicing alone seems pretty crucial to me. We all like to think that academies will pop out top players like a assembly line, but in reality its a herculean effort by individuals in order to not only make it but transcend.

8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ebbro repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure he'll still be based out of Tokyo. Still does a lot of work of Asia. I think he's starting work with Russia too. Was just in Moscow.

11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't have Sirius but would be interested in what happened here:

Winoman and HScoach13 repped this.
  12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    If you have HBO GO... Real Sports (Monthly HBO Sports Documentary program hosted by Bryant Gumbel) did a short (15 minute or so) investigative journalism piece on Tom Byer and his impact in Japan a few months ago... can't remember which month off the top of my head but it was super interesting... I think it interviewed Kyle Martino and maybe some others USsoccer people..

Basically just teaches kids to always have a ball on them at all times from a young age to develop close ball control which is the bedrock of a great player... It did wonders in Japan apparently..

If I ever have kids and am roped into coaching youth soccer I'd take a look at what Tom Byers does.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ordered one of his vids for my little one.

TheFalseNine repped this.