XXXXX Doesn't Show Enough Soccer!

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by BakedAlaskan, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at the next three days of programming for both ESPN and ESPN2

Monday 4 College Basketball games 1 EPL match
    Tuesday 3 College Basketball games
    Wednesday 4 College Basketball Games

Now both of those networks are 24/7 and they repeat talk shows more than they repeat games

Fox Soccer's next three days with at least 4 hours of paid programming per day
    Monday 6 soccer matches
    Tuesday 7 soccer matches
    Wednesday 6 soccer matches

And I didn't even look at Fox Soccer Plus which is 24/7 with a lot of late night rugby thrown in.

Seriously. Why would a soccer fan watch ESPN? I haven't sat through an entire Sports Center in over 8 years.

1 person likes this.
  2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: More of why ESPN sucks and Fox Soccer doesn't

So because ESPN is not a 24 hour soccer network, it sucks?
    Is it not possible that most soccer fans like myself enjoy other sports that are presented by ESPN?

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

But Fox having Piers Fking Morgan trumps all the suckiness ESPN could ever have.

4. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Leesburg

You do realize the "S" in ESPN doesn't stand for soccer, right?

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A contract with the NCAA speaks volumes. Keep in mind that games are archived on ESPN3. I have a feeling gives less incentive for the ESPN networks to repeat things on their TV channels, considering they're "on demand" online.

And to say "ESPN sucks" because they don't show what you like? I could pick 100 people to say "Fox Soccer sucks because they show soccer" or even "where is Fox Soccer". Almost everyone knows where ESPN is on their lineup.

It's a weak argument.

6. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City

Shocking news! A 24 hour soccer network shows more soccer than a 24 hour sports channel that shows all sports as well as additional talk shows that all do better ratings than soccer. If you go to ESPN looking for soccer except when there is a game shown live then you're doing it wrong. Aren't a lot of those game on Fox Soccer repeats?

Oh, also take a look at the listings for ESPN3 which is included with most cable packages now that gives you access to a lot of live games.

7. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um actually I was just saying that in one day, ESPN has 48 hours of programming with those two channels and can only come up with 3-5 sporting events . . . the rest is just a bunch of people at a desk with faked arguements. FSC has a couple of talk shows and you don't like one guy who is on once a week so ESPN is better. I'll watch that dildo Morgan over Skip Bayless anyday.

8. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those "talking head" shows get pretty good ratings for ESPN.

I really don't understand what you're complaining about, dude. As football fans, we have it as good as we've ever had right now.

9. butters0154

butters0154 Member

Jan 26, 2012
    SCO
    Club:
    CD Suchitepéquez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

+1 dude you got a point.

Anyways fox soccer sucks too. besides the games, FSC has nothing. No shows no review. Fox soccer report sucks, i rather watch sky sports right after it. Gol tv is way better IMO.

10. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

Q: And how many of those matches on FOX Soccer are actually 1st run?

A:

Monday: ZERO
    Tuesday: ZERO
    Wednesday: ONE

==

FOX Deportes is actually better than FOX Soccer, with Copa Libertadores tripleheaders on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays this week.

11. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007

Er... because a simple Venn diagram shows that the category of "soccer fan" includes a huge overlap with the category of "sports fan"?

12. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ill watch soccer re-runs of matches I haven't seen yet, you go watch Duke vs North Carolina women's basketball because it's live

yay.

13. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well you're in luck! Lots of talk shows on ESPN. Actual sports? Not so much

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/super-bowl-goltv-soccer-285917

He kind of touches on what I'm talking about in that above article/link.

14. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are we, as football fans, not allowed to be interested in or watch other sports?

I mean, I love golf and tennis, but I don't begrudge ESPN for having less golf and less tennis than, say, the Golf Channel & Tennis Channel.

15. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, I'll go over this again since you think I'm stuck on soccer versus everything else

I'M TALKING ABOUT ALL SPORTS PROGRAMMING

Not Sports talk programming.

ESPN on Tues . . . 48 hours on ESPN and ESPN 2 . . . 6-7 hours dedicated to sporting events and 41-42 hours of talk/highlight/preview/review shows

FSC on Tues . . . 20 hours of programming on one channel(4 hours of paid programming) . . . 14 hours of sports . . . 6 hours of talk/highlight/preview/review shows

16. coracaodoporto

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto

Espn is crap though. They choose to show bowling or billiards instead of Madrid or Barca games on ESPN2. I'm stuck watching them on SD on Espn Deportes. Last year on Espn Deportes they were showing the under age South American championship and didnt tune into the Madrid game until the 30th minute. Stupid when Madrid and Barca games get better ratings.

17. richardfromnyc

Apr 6, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Plus Fox Soccer doesn't have On-Air personalities who HATE Soccer unlike ESPN (aka Disney).

proof:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfkeB09vso"]Jim Rome Rips on Soccer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoqOyCMZKEc"]Quick Fix: Hating the Beautiful Game - YouTube[/ame]

18. coracaodoporto

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
  19. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I did find the fact that Fox had Piers whatever his last name is on was kinda weak. What next Gordon Ramsey? I gotta say I was glad that they let the original broadcasters do the commentating. The week before sucked with Wynalda doing it from the studio. Also here in Atlanta, the powers that be showed infomercials on Fox instead of the game live.

20. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006

I read your arguments as, "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!"

21. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, sorry but you're wrong. Just pointing out that the "worldwide leader in sports" talks about sports more than they show them.

Never knew there were so many ESPN fans on Big Soccer. Or should that be ESTPN? Entertainment and Sports Talk Programming Network. Or Maybe call it ESPN Radio 2?

22. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004

I am not sure that every body is a big ESPN fan, but ESPN never claim to be a football channel. ESPN caters to the average American fan here in the United States, and the Average American sport fan likes American sports. So ESPN in my opinion stands for what it meant to be, an Entertainment Sport Network.

23. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The problem with ESPN is that people here and elsewhere always trot it out as a reason that Fox sucks. "Look at how ESPN is covering the Premiere League." "Look at how much they're putting into the World Cup." "ESPN are doing this that and the other right. I wish they would get the contract for the EPL/Champions League/etc.etc."

In reality, Fox shows more soccer from more leagues in a day than ESPN/2 shows in a week. Yes you could go online or get ESPN Deportes but that may either not be available (wrong ISP) or be cost prohibitive.

I like the relationship the way it is now. I can watch many EPL games on Fox (live and delayed), all Champions League games (live via DirecTV for the group stage), and a half the slate of Serie A games. ESPN will show 1 (sometimes 2) EPL games per week in timeslots that have a low probability of being pre-empted or moved at late notice (except when the WNBA or Little League World Series in in swing) and that's OK.

The only problem with this arrangement for me is La Liga and the deal with GolTV. Basically you're losing 3 La Liga games every week to ESPN Online/Deportes since they only show a handful on ESPN2.

Bottom line - ESPN is not the panacea. It's a nice place for the game to get some exposure to more mainstream eyes. Anything more than that and, IMO, we as soccer fans lose because they will never have a Soccer-only channel (like some have been rumoring for years) and they will never show all the games. But I might give in to ESPN a bit if they bring Derek Rae back. Ian Darke gets on my nerves.

24. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What a coincidence . . . I never expected them to show more footy or be a football channel . . . just maybe more games(of any sport) and less talk shows.

I don't know how old you are but I remember what ESPN was like when they started. Volleyball, Tennis, Racing, Softball, College Soccer, Aussie rules football, College Baseball, etc, etc. They repeated these over and over with Sports Center filling in the blanks all on one channel. Now with two main channels, today they will have two College Basketball games simultaneously and one CB game following . . . and 42 hours of talk/highlights.

And for those of you who can't get past my "Why would a soccer fan watch ESPN?" comment, perhaps I should have been more elaborate.

I have three soccer channels
    NFL Network
    MLB Network
    NBA Network
    I don't care about the NHL or college sports.

What am I going to get from ESPN that I won't get on the above channels? Little League? World Series of Poker? World's Strongest Man? Copa Libertadores would be nice but I don't get ESPN Deportes or other Spanish channels.

25. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City

Yup, should've formatted your argument like that from the beginning. Then I don't think anyone would have argued. ESPN sucks the way it is now with way too much talking head crap but unfortunately there are quite a few idiots that watch that programming so it gets ratings higher than any actual sports they could put on at those times.