Xolos transfer list whole team (opportunity knocking?)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by juvechelsea, Jun 1, 2016.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Hydro repped this.
  2. SouthTex

SouthTex New Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Can we buy the whole team?

Levy2k6 and *rey* repped this.
  3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Garza is a LB, and is getting looks from Europe, so if you have a problem with DMB, you'll not like Garza

Arriola will also be $$, but is an attacking player.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #4 juvechelsea, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    I actually said sign Garza ages ago. When he came back to the Americas after the Traffic debacle. You can look that up. Beasley was worth what he was as a repeated World Cup selection coming off Brazil. I can see where Garza might get other offers but the suggestion he will be worth Beasley money, meh. And Garza as someone who has been on the edge of the team, now back out of fashion, might have an interest in signing someplace meat and potatoes, getting playing time, and making a case. He has already done the Traffic tour of Europe. I'm not sure he's eager to risk things again, particular as it renders him out of style with the Nats.

Bluntly, I'd take him in trade for RR, and I think that's about what an out of fashion Xolos defender is probably worth on the market, $200-300k. He can understudy for Beasley and/or we could see where else he could play for a season. Then be the LB for the next several years. He's only 24.

Release Agus and Rocha also and you have another $200-300k to spend on a CB. A do-over. Get Garza, and a couple more decent backs and we could be competitive soon enough.

Garza is also from Texas, which is one reason I suggested him years ago.

Re Arriola or any of the others who might have some expense, we could release the Spaniards, free up half a million in cash/cap, then expend the DP to trim down the cap cost. I am not sure anyone but Arriola would cost that much, though. Really think Corona or Garza (or even Orozco) is worth that much?? I think these are all $150-250k type people with something to prove to restore a claim to being a NT player. Precisely the kind of hungry Holden type player we used to go out and get. Talented, in the mix, but currently out of favor after how CT's season and their experience went.

Then bring in cheap kids from RGV like Escalante to fill roster slots. Trade some players for some defenders. Use Beasley's money when he retires. Nobody says we have to stand pat and let this abysmal season just play out while we pretend some assistant coach changes much.

These are good players who if we have to restructure the money and the roster, we should consider it. You don't moan about our players only to defend the current salary structure like we're stuck.

5. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Some good points, but don't believe that Garza is out of fashion yet at 24 years old, and playing good football.

Garza makes around $700,000 now. Hard to pry away from Tijuana, and Liga MX

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm not saying he sucks, I am saying for NT purposes his club situation rendered him temporarily unfashionable. Plenty of players have gone in and out of fashion over time, including Beasley who disappeared after 2010 only to come back for 2014. Garza went from in vogue and some people's wing back of the future to disappeared. Depending on his priorities, eg, how highly he values NT play, it might be in his interests to move to a league where he plays more regularly, even at the expense of a paycut. If he values a paycheck more, well, that would make him less interesting. Where do you get Garza salary figure from?

And the thing to me is that's about a 7 person shopping list with others available too.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why everyone constantly says we should dump the Spaniards.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #8 juvechelsea, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    They make half a million combined, are not awesome players, and probably lack CBA protection from waivers. The not awesome part makes them not really part of some future foundation we need to hold onto. The half a million and lack of CBA protection makes them expendable to get in someone else who can be a future foundational quality player.

If we'd said this in years before about Landin, Lopez, Koke, the idea of cashiering a frustrating player midseason would have been, well, duh. The international slots are at a premium and they make a lot of salary. They don't play that well. They contribute to the team being bad. Cashier them and try someone else.

This is half a million potential bucks to go shopping with in the summer for better backs. Or we can pretend that people who contribute to a 50+ GA pace are actually decent enough.

What would be particularly nuts would be to sit RR behind Agus or vice versa and not release at least one. Or to have Rocha consuming an international spot and $100k+ being an embarrassment. Rocha at minimum is Koke all over again. And the other two, well, you don't make a bad defense better by keeping the same people together who aren't very good. It's like if you say "the defense sucks" everyone agrees but if you suggest cashiering individual components of same, everyone but Anibaba and Ibeagha probably has their marching and chowder society that wants to act like their guy is decent and shouldn't get the axe. The drive to excellence around here is dead. It's instead like, "he's ok and uncertainty of the market frightens me." We are the 19th best team in the league, grow up people. Time to take risks, what's the worst that happens, we still don't make the playoffs but now pick first in the draft next season? I could understand -- but not agree with -- conservatism from the 2013 team. Well, we're still a playoff team, personnel changes risks that. But this is two years in the wilderness. They have lost incumbency rights.