XM Radio Launches World Cup Coverage March 24th

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    This is heaven... heaven on earth.... I don't ever want it to end....

2. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    To make sure I understand correctly - XM will be broadcasting live games correct? The website has a schedule and before I go out and my a MyFi tonight I want to make sure I will be able to listen to the games.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they are doing all the games live, except for when two games are going at once during the last round of group phase games. They will also have call-in shows based in DC before and after the day's games.

4. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Did you catch Wheelock's reference (kidding, probably, but I can dream, can't I) to "if XM lets us keep going after the Cup"?

5. FFClee

FFClee New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Ellicott City

Lets only hope XM keeps it around!! What a great program!! It has really gotten me pumped up for the cup:)

Does anyone know if Fox Soccer Channel and GOL TV are going to anything programming wise for the World Cup while it is going on or does ESPN's contract prohibit them from doing so??

4 days until the US starts their quest!!!

Thanks

6. FFClee

FFClee New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Ellicott City

Go US!!

7. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey

I missed his reference, but a few emails to Eric Logan the head of programming wouldn't hurt. E-Lo as he's known as from the O&A show reads all his email and is usually very fan friendly. I'm gonna see if I can find his email.

Edit: Found it, eric.logan@xmradio.com

8. joeinma

joeinma Member

Mar 18, 1999
    Braintree, MA
    I emailed XM last week telling them that I think I had tears in my eyes listening to calller after caller talking about soccer on World Cup Tonight. We finally have a sports talk station of our own. I begged that they keep a soccer talk station going, even if it's a just a weekly show ala James Carville's show. I did not get a response, so I am definitely going to email E-LO.

9. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I have to agree. I am traveling for work, and my rental has XM which I wouldn't have even known except when I turned on the car at the rental agency the first time, it was already sitting on this station. I was pumped.

I have been listening all this week, and it is just FANTASTIC to hear good soccer talk shows. The content is good, the talk is good, the callers are all over the place and that makes it really good.

If XM was smart, they would definitely benefit from keeping this on. I know I will be jealous when I have to give the rental back tomorrow.

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I've been listening to Ch. 148 ever since this mofo kicked off a couple of weeks ago. I love it!

However I think there is too much repeat in call-ins. I mean c'mon...how many more "What do you guys think of Jurgen Klinsman for the next US coach?" can a person take? The callers either need to listen more or be more creative with their calls.

Another annoying facet of the shows is that they haven't been problem free...bad cell phone reception, callers having their radio on at the same time, dropped calls, etc.

Overall though I wish Ch. 148 was a permanent addition to XM's lineup.

11. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA

Whoa. Dude rents a car and someone else had left it on the one XM station with soccer in English. Sweeeeeeeet.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is annoying, but how many of these problems could be attributed to the caller's end?

It wouldn't be too hard to say "turn your radio down" every 15-20 minutes or so. The majority of people do, but there's always those few that don't.

13. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer. I'm in severe withdrawal. The station is gone. My radio has been locked on 148 for the past month. It's made commuting and a couple of long trips the highlights of the work day. I was even listening to games I'd already seen to hear Christopher Sullivan's commentary. He's doing satellite radio while we were stuck with Balboa on TV. Ridiculous.

From some of their comments, it sounded like there's a shot at something happening on an ongoing basis because of the success of the programming. Keep those emails going.

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Man I'm missing Ch. 148 now.
    :(

15. FFClee

FFClee New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Ellicott City
    I'm with you on that!! I recorded the final show last night when they had on a french reporter, Kristine Lilly, Jimmy Conrad(what a great guest...I'm a fan of his now!!) and a South African reporter. GOOD FINALE after they busted on the US players not coming on then were able to get Conrad. Ch. 147 in Spanish is still going so I guess its time to learn spanish:) Keep E-MAILING Eric Logan. He is mentioned earlier in this thread and worldcup2006@xmradio.com and who knows...maybe they will bring back the English coverage!!

16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    You said it!

That was Budget by the way.

Sad, to see the station no longer exists.

17. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    The station is definelty missed. However keep sending those emails to Eric Logan and worldcup2006@xmradio.com Someone from another message board just created a myspace to help the cause. If you have myspace add him as a friend. http://www.myspace.com/savexm148

I'm not sure how familiar you all are w/ XM, but a while back XM got rid of one of their metal stations. Liquid metal or something like that, the fans fought and fought to get the station back and lo and behold it was brought back. So keep those emails going!

Here's an interesting article that I hope XM reads.
    http://www.examiner.com/a-168804~Jim_Williams__What_happens_to_XM_after_World_Cup_.html