XM Radio Launches World Cup Coverage March 24th

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Mar 21, 2006.

1. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    Excellent coverage. I have the old Delphi MyFi Portable, I just hooked it up at my desk at work and receive excellent reception. I usually listen online here at work, but obviously the WC isnt being streamed so I had to bring in my portable. If you're going to a get a unit and don't want to spend alot I'd get the MyFi. If money doesn't matter i'd get one of the new portables, the Inno looks awesome.

Anyway the 24/7 coverage is awesome, definetly loving the replays!

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only show that tells you how the urinals in Munich are painted like soccer fields with a goal for you to aim at. :eek:

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I right in saying that they're doing 6 (!) hours of programming per day, at 6-9 AM and 3-6 PM Eastern? That's a lot.

6 people is a lot, but if you're going to have them all in Germany to call the games you may as well let them do the run up to it.

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right. The afternoon show will move to 6:30 p.m., it seems, when the matches start. I don't mind using all six, I just think they maybe should use three for each show during the run up. It's not that big of a deal though.

I e-mailed them about a caller yesterday who complained the US doesn't play enough friendlies against European teams. We have played 10 of the 21 friendlies since 2004 against UEFA teams so I called them out on that.

5. WestLooper

WestLooper Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Anyone know what 2-line plug and play Vs. 5 line plug and play means?

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lines mean how much information shows on the screen. The plug and play means - I think - that you don't need an antenna or a transmitter - just a power source. I might be wrong though on that part.

7. WestLooper

WestLooper Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Thanks alot for the info monster. I would reallly love to hear the WC talk all day as well as the games, since this only happens once every 4 years, but I don't know if I can justify the cost seeing as I will need an "XM boombox" in addition to the transmitter to use it in the office. XM guy I talked to on the phone was an A*hole also.

Delphi Roady ($60) + boombox ($100) + monthly ($13) + activation ($15) = $200 with tax.

Guess I could use it for Cubs games also, but MLB radio is only $5/ month w/o equipment.

Will there be a full time soccer talk station after the World Cup? EPL, MLS, etc or is this just temporary? Don't mean to ask 20 questions, but nice to get a neutral perspective. =)

8. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully XM Radio will launch a 24/7 (i.e. MLB Home Plate) soccer channel that will cover the MLS and the European leagues sometime after the World Cup is over. I don't have Sirius so perhaps XM will want to continue having soccer coverage on their system.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea of their plans after the WC.

You don't need a boombox. You can get a home kit from the stores at www.xmfan.com or www.xm411.com. Something like this that gives you an antenna and power source for one of the Roady kits.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sirius has the EPL.

A Home Ice / Home Plate channel for Soccer would rule.

The 2 Gs and the Treble are now available (having left the World Soccer Daily network).

11. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    Westlooper, you should check out ebay for the equipment. I think what you need is a Roady and the home kit and you should be good. I did a quick search and found a brand new home kit for about 30 bucks including shipping and the Roady itself for about 30 bucks or so.
    Thats the home kit, I dont think you need a boombox. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but with a roady2 and the home kit you should be good.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/XM-DELPHI-ROADY...734489380QQcategoryZ71534QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: Good post Monster was posting mine and looking on ebay while you posted yours.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I have the original roady with th home kit. I just unplug my computer speakers and use those when I bring it inside.

13. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    FYI the boomboxes are complete piles of crap. Just get a home kit and wire it into your system or use headphones.

I'll be listening on XM starting Friday here at work with my MyFi and the home kit that came with it!

14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I have the Roady with an adaptor to play in my car's cassette player. I found that it works just fine inside with my computer speakers as well.

Only trouble is that the remote has a range of about 18 inches.

15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm currenly "borrowing" a Delphi MyFi and will mostly be using it with headphones at work in my lab. Thank god I live on the correct side of the building to get decent reception

and I'm VERY VERY impressed with the level of coverage and analysis on 148. I take back everything I said about Sirius being the superior searvice. The world cup shows are very well done, and most importantly NOT DUMBED DOWN TO THE "CASUAL FAN". The show treats listeners as if they actually understand the game. If only ESPN/ABC would be so kind.

it's like bigsoccer heaven on radio.

16. WestLooper

WestLooper Member

Apr 17, 2005
    You guys are awesome - thanks for the info. I'm still confused though...Do I need the "home kit" if I get a Roady and want to hook it up to a laptop or to desktop computer speakers? I take it I need the home kit for the attenna. Sorry, I suck at technology.

17. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

if you get one of the portable ones like the MyFi, you can just use the headphone jack. Otherwise, I think you'll need a home kit.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Roady, you need an antenna and a power source. Those come in the home kit. Then you can use your own speakers.

19. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah with the Roady you'll need the home kit to dock it into where you'll get power and use the antenna, then you can simply hook it up w/ your computer speakers. Check out ebay they are going for a reasonable price.

20. Glebe

Glebe New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    I'm really surprised XM isn't broadcasting it online. If this is a rights issue, well it's stupid but at least understandable. But if they think the audience isn't there for online listening I think they're mistaken. I was just about ready to plunk down the $8 for an online subscription until I realized the WC wasn't available

21. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I'm geeky enough that I take my home unit into the car and plug it into an adapter when I'm driving. I don't take it all the time, but as I leave Monday for 30 days on the road covering youth events, I will have it with me in large part so I can listen to these 2 programs. It's just great to have this kind of coverage available in America.

But if the tv comms are bugging me enough, I now have another English language alternative, as Sean, Phil and Dave are all good pbp guys. The only question with that will be if the timing is way off, particularly if the radio is a couple of seconds ahead of the TV coming in.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Futbol de Primavera" according to one caller.

he he he

23. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I heard that too :)

I had gotten an email from XM telling me that Dwight Burgess and Bill McDermott would be hosting a World Cup program. They aren't on these broadcasts as far as I've heard. Did something change?

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the XM site, they seem to be hosting the shows (Dwight in the AM and Bill in the PM) once the Cup starts. I assume since these guys will be doing games and travelling. Dwight did pop on during the first day when they had an audio glitch in Germany.

25. doliveti

doliveti New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Denver, CO
    From what I understand from reading things on the Crew boards, Dwight and Bill are now staying stateside for the tournament. They will still be calling all the Crew games as well as hosting these programs. It's too bad Dwight couldn't make it to Germany because he does a great job. Hopefully he can do a good job from here but I like the fact that the guys are over there now and can give us a feel for the surroudings.