XM Radio Launches World Cup Coverage March 24th

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Mar 21, 2006.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.whatsonmyxm.com/?p=27

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Not Dooley, no no no...

3. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    did anyone catch this? was it any good? i think it's a weekly program now starting today

4. reyes1

reyes1 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    PA, USA
    i'm kinda bummed b/c i have sirius. they have the preiership contract, so i was hoping they would broadcast the WC too, but i don't think so. oh well.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    What's wrong with Dooley?

6. doliveti

doliveti New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Denver, CO
    It was allright. It was Harkes with some other guy I had never heard of. The show was an hour long with interviews from Santino Quaranta, Ernie Stewert and some German Studies prof from UMD. Until June they will only do 1 hr a week and then go to 24 hr coverage. Definately glad to have it on the radio just hoped it would be a little longer.

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Shades of Wegerle when he opens his mouth, it seems to me. Haven't heard from him in awhile, though.

Is the broadcasting corps in America that shallow that national radio can't look to a Tab Ramos or a Paul Caligiuri? I mean, unless ESPN is sending everyone to Germany, which I doubt.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    What's wrong with Wegs?

And do Ramos and Caligiuri call games?

9. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I never like Wegerle, and I understand people do. Was never high on Dooley either. Neither of them seemed very likable to me. Just a personal preference.

Caligiuri was part of the studio crew in 2002, and Ramos, I think, did a bit of studio work for MSG and helped with the Spanish commentary for one of the All-Star games (?).

10. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Now if only XM would add Channel 148 to its channel listing:
    http://www.xmradio.com/programming/full_channel_listing.jsp?sort=number

All the more reason why I wish XM would let subscribers download programs on demand. Am I supposed to be at home in front of my radio at 9 a.m. each Friday?

Nice to see Dave Ungrady hosting. His book is a must-read, if you haven't already.

11. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because they are announcing a bunchof new channels and it will be added along with the new music channels and some other talk. I heard a commercial for the new music channels last night.

http://www.xmradio.com/lineup/

13. Yukon Cornelius

Oct 24, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just listened to “World Cup This Week” for the first time, and color me thrilled.

Highlights:
    -Harkes’s Bruce impersonation.
    -Tracks of The Bruce speaking at the DC United Dinner
    -Interview with Glen Myernick… a lot of insight on Germany.
    -An interview with Mark Abbott, in which he went into detail about MLS’s profitability, and gave some hints about the new TV deal.
    -Interview with Heydude. Although, please someone tell me he was kidding when he said he hurt his hamstring dropping in at a skatepark with his son.

They said they’re hoping to have Bruce in the studio next week. Seriously, I feel like I’m in heaven.

I’m listening to the replay right now… I’ll try to put up some quotes.

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. Damn. Damn.

I have to catch this somehow.

I have an e-mail into XM to try and confirm what I expect - the games will not be available online. I need to make sure my antenna works in my office. :D

15. Yukon Cornelius

Oct 24, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Okay… I should note that most of these quotes aren’t exactly precise… I typed as quickly as possible, but the conversation went pretty quickly…

Mooch quotes

What he said to Bruce about the Germany game-
    “Just cause the guys played bad today, you’re not going to eliminate them, because what if everyone had played great? Would you then have taken all of those players? It goes both ways”

-notes that they’re still looking at Chris Armas-

On Mathis
    “If Bruce had thought that Clint was a viable option for us, he would have included him with us in that long six-week period”

Mark Abbott quotes:
    “It was never our long term intention to be a broadcaster of the world cup”

“We had a lot of discussions with those networks that if they were going to broadcast the world cup, it makes sense to broadcast other aspects of soccer as well.”

Will MLS get a rights fee for TV?
    “I think it’s a given at this point”

Oh- and for those who are interested, the episodes air:
    Fridays at nine, ten, and eleven.
    and
    Saturdays at eight, nine, and ten.

16. Yukon Cornelius

Oct 24, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And I just caught this –Bruce from the DC United Dinner:
    “We need to have at least one point going into the third game…and a lot of our strategy is going to be based on that.”

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Daily shows started today. Good stuff.

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened on the way in this morning, and I agree, was a fun listen.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like the voices in Big Soccer's head have found a home.

20. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Goin' to go buy my unit today.

21. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Listened a little last night and this morning after being unable to catch the Friday broadcasts in May. No complaints. Bunch of solid radio pros talking intelligently. I'm not sure how much radio experience Agoos has, but he sounded comfortable.

Actually, I do have one complaint -- they're not streaming this one online, so I don't know how often I can listen. But that's a larger XM problem. They make all this great original programming, they have a Web site screened off for subscribers only, and then they don't make that programming available for listening at the subscriber's convenience.

None of that, of course, is the fault of anyone working on the programming itself.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is bad. I luckily have an antenna so I can listen to the reruns (and the matches once they start), but it is a shame you can't stream it. The guys do a good job - I was picking fun at the callers. Poor T&T is just getting bashed.

My only complaint is that six people is a lot. It took me all of yesterday to distinguish a few voices. Luckily a few are really distinctive, but I feel people who haven't heard Johnson, Schoen and Wheelock a lot would have a harder time connecting things.

23. WestLooper

WestLooper Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Thinking about buying a unit pronto, like this afternoon. Can anyone tell me how much I should be paying and where to find it? Thanks.

Edit: Am I able to bring the unit into the office/house with me?

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is their product chart

That has the suggested price so you can work from that. You can find them in most major stores - Target, Wal-Mart. As far as portability - you need seperate antennas for office/house and car. They sell kits with the equipment you need. Of course, all this is moot if you by the portable unit.

My unit is more than three years old so I'm not a good source of advice on what the current units are like.

25. WestLooper

WestLooper Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Cool - thanks alot. I guess I am pretty much limited to the two portable players that are under $80 - the Delphi and the Audiovox - since I don't plan spending too much on it. I'll have to check out the prices at Target, etc. If anyone has seen a deal recently, let me know!