Xavier Balc...

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Flyer Fan, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Bill, what's the latest scoop on the northeastern Ohio wonder boy? He's a senior this year, right?

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you should mention it; I was just thinking about starting a thread somewhere on Ohio High School players.

There is a bumper crop this year, maybe the best ever. Recruiters are beating a path to the Buckeye state.

Xavier is indeed a senior. The OHSAA "Player of the Year", the MVP of the State Championship game for his State Champion Hudson Explorers and one of only seven junior High School All Americans returns for a somewhat depleted Hudson squad. The biggest loss is his running mate, Robbie Strachen, who is now playing for OSU.

Since he couldn't improve on a touch which comes directly from the Lord above, he spent the last seven months adding strength. To see this kid play is to understand how the game can really be art.

There is a long list of potential schools interested; OSU among them. He and his family have made no decisions.

HOWEVER, there are some other kids you'll want to watch, among them a couple who don't currently play High School:

Primary among them is Israel Jones who played briefly for Broadview Heights but has been home-schooled the last few years. OSU was camped out in his living room. He tore them up on an ODP trip to Italy this summer, and has already accepted a scholarship from perennial national power SMU.

Steven Sandbo the keeper from Upper Arlington who has been in the U17 residency the last couple years is another sought-after kid. He's known to have offers from OSU and Indiana, but there are others in the mix. Apparently there isn't a front-runner at the moment.

Eric Brunner from Dublin Scioto is a kid you should go see. Check their schedule (probably Tuesday or Saturday night) and go check out some High School chicks while getting a look a him. A man playing among boys, he reportedly has already accepted an offer from Maryland.

(While you're there, check out his teammate, Mark Price, who will get big-time offers as well. He was invited to the adidas ESP camp. Also check out their keeper, kid named McKee (can't recall his first name) What a stud)

For you Southern Ohio types, there's John Mellencamp from Lakota West. Before you ask, yes, I understand they're cousins. No, he doesn't live in a little pink house. Yes, he will kick your ass for asking. Long list of schools after him as well. No idea.

As noted, there were only seven Junior All Americans last year. Two were from Ohio. Balc, as I've mentioned, and keeper Casey Lachem of Perrysburg. Big, lightning fast, dominating and will eat your lunch and make you like it. I love this kid and he'll go very big time next year. I've heard he's rejected OSU outright and may be looking at SMU or UCLA.

A couple other guys later. Gots stuff to do.

3. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw a schedule; for those of you who don't just talk the talk, Hudson will play AT Dublin Coffman on September 13.

Bummer it's not Scioto, but Coffman is a class side too.

Anyway, you oughtta check it out.

4. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    It figures that there's a Crew home match that day with Dallas at 7:30. The Hudon web site says the varsity match starts at 5:00, so I guess I could always catch about one half of the high school game.

Hudson plays DeSales later in the season, but it's home.

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about that. Damn.

Forgot to mention though that you've got a great prospect over your way right now. (I tell ya, Ohio is all of a suden just loaded):

His name is Ofori Sarkodie, a Freshman defender at Carroll. Good size, tenacious, can run all day. Plays club for Ambassadors. Really wowed 'em on an ODP tour to Italy this year. He's in the National U15 pool and also is reportedly a straight A student.

He will end up in Bradenton sooner rather than later.

Check him out. Check out the whole Carroll team while you're at it. A strong candidate to still be playing in November.

And while I'm on underclassmen, I have to say that if you get a chance to see Youngstown Cardinal Mooney, run don't walk.

I've mentioned before that there were only seven Jumior All Americans last year and two of them are from Ohio (Balc and Lachem).

There was only ONE Sophomore All American, and he was from Ohio also: Kenny Willis of Mooney. This is a special kid. His team isn't strong enough to get him into CCS this Fall, so chances of seeing him are slim, but you'll be seeing him on TV someday.

Finally, another Senior. I rate the best seniors in Ohio as 1) Balc (hands down) 2) Lachem (I'd take him over Sandbo, and so will most college coaches) 3) Israel Jones and 4) Kai Kasurian of Div III CVCA. He'll break you down one-on-one, he'll dish, he'll score and he'll run by you like you're standing still. Almost single-handedly got the Force Juniors into the Super Y Nationals.

Div III will come down to CVCA and Worthington Christian. If it runs true to form, this will be a game not to miss. Stay tuned.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Here's a small mention about Ofori Sarkodie and the U-15s (at the bottom). The rest of the article is about Centerville's Tyler Imbrogno who is heading to PSV in February as an amateur guest.

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imbrogno is a quality striker, no question. Balls out scorer.

But he's a quality person as well:

GPA: 3.8
    SAT: 1450
    ACT Total: 32

Of course, 4.4 speed doesn't hurt either.

So if things don't work out in Holland, do you suppose he can swing a scholarship?

Two other kids over that way are Jake Feltner at SPringfield Catholic and Drew Eby at Wayne. Last year everybody was so obsessed with stopping Catrow a Catholic that feltner just ate them up. It'll be interesting to see if he can carry them with Catrow at OSU.

And of course Keepers everywhere you turn. Not Lachem/Sandbo caliber, but just a notch below.

I'm telling you, Ohio is just bulging this year. Quality everywhere you look.

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DIVISION I

1, Strongsville 2-0-0 75

2, Hudson 2-1-0 66

3, Westerville North 2-0-0 47

4, Tol. St. Francis 3-0-0 46

5, Cleve. St. Ignatius 1-0-0 38

6, Cin. St. Xavier 2-0-0 35

7, Centerville 2-1-0 26

8, W. Chester Lakota West 1-0-1 18

9, Mass. Jackson 2-0-0 17

10, Beavercreek 3-0-0 16

DIVISION II

1, Richfield Revere 3-1-0 71

2, Kettering Alter 3-0-0 70

3, Cin. Turpin 3-1-0 55

4, Cols. DeSales 1-1-1 49

5, Chesterland W. Geauga 3-0-0 48

6, Cuya. Falls Walsh Jesuit 2-0-0 32

7, Maumee 3-1-0 27

8, Cin. Roger Bacon 4-0-0 17

9, Dayton Carroll 2-1-0 16

10, Dresden Tri-Valley 1-0-0 15

DIVISION III

1, CVCA 2-0-0 91

2, Worth. Christian 3-0-0 78

3, Gates Mills Hawken 1-0-0 64

4, Warren Kennedy 4-0-0 53

5, Kalida 1-0-2 48

6, Mans. Christian 3-1-0 46

7, Warren Champion 4-0-0 36

8, Lorain Cath. 3-0-0 28

9, Gahanna Cols. Academy 2-0-0 24

Coshocton 2-0-0 24

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jackson moved up two . I saw them a week ago - very impressive.

Dublin Scioto crashed into the top ten for the first time; forget Westerville North - Sicoto are the class of Central Ohio.

Great match Saturday - Hudson at Dublin Coffman. If you're so inclined you MIGHT be able to catch some of it and still make the kick at CCS. Double check, but I think Varsity kicks off at five.
    It's the only Central Ohio appearance for Xavy unless and until the finals.

BOYS DIVISION I BOYS DIVISION II BOYS DIVISION III
    1. Strongsville 1. Revere 1. CVCA
    2. Hudson 2. Alter 2. Worthington Christian
    3. Westerville North 3. Padua 3. Maderia
    4. Toledo St.Francis DeSales 4. Bishop Watterson 4. Warren Champion
    5. St.Ignatius 5. Tri-Valley 5. Yellow Springs
    6. St.Xavier 6. Turpin 6. Kalida
    7. Massilon Jackson 7. Carroll 7. Lorain Catholic
    8. Dublin Scioto 8. Maumee 8. Hawken
    9. Beavercreek 9. NDCL 9. Columbus Academy
    10. Lakota West 10. St.Francis DeSales 10. Warren JFK

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999

The kid is a solid defender and is named after his famous uncle who was watching him play the same day I was.

*#*#*#*#*#*# news a day ago, though. His Coach died of a sudden heart attack.

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw where Mellencamp has committed to Indiana.

H'es in the middle here. On the left is Eric Kustos, who has a verbal with Ohio State

[​IMG]

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard from a reliable source that Balc has committed to OSU. If they keep stockpiling all this talent, they may win something someday.

13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just an update:

Xavier Balc has just been named as a repeat All American, along with GK Casey Lachem of Perrysburg.