WWSM question...cross from deep vs. cross from byline

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by superdave, Aug 14, 2007.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put the game away for awhile, a year actually, and picked it back up and cranked up the old savegame. The thing is, I moved to a different team, and changed tactics. And I can't find my manual easily, so I hope someone here can help me.

What is the purpose/effect/benefit of crossing from deep vs. crossing from byline?

2. doug1500

doug1500 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    USA
    Deep crossing will put in a cross from deep, without taking on players.

Byline will have the winger try and beat a few men and get his cross in from closer to the byline. This one will result in a better angle from the cross.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure.

I'm playing a 4-3-3/4-5-1, with the AML and AMR having arrows up to the striker level, and the "on the midfield stripe" guys may have arrows to the side, depending on the opponent's tactics.

So the AML and AMR should definitely have "byline," and the fullbacks should be on mixed if I'm being aggressive, byline if I'm being insanely aggressive, and deep if I'm protecting a lead. The "on the stripe" guys should be mixed unless they're really good dribblers. Now that I think about it, I can make that "byline" if I'm being extremely attacking.

That's how I've been doing it anyway, so it's all good.