Semblance17 and ShortyMac repped this.
  2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Then it was pretty poor payback. Sweden sent us home in 2016. We just have given them the right to play Canada. Does not really seem exactly like effective payback.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, you're easy contented, it seems. Sweden didn't give a damn about this match... :coffee:

4. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007

SEVEN changes for Sweden, they obviously didn't care.

and I wasn't really that impressed with the US. An early goal when the opposition may not be fully switched on (I know it's their responsibility) and then an offside goal.

they finally play someone half-decent and this was the result. You can tell me how great they looked but in the end the scoreboard is all that counts. Honestly, against France, Germany or perhaps England it will be a different story.

RalleeMonkey and Gilmoy repped this.
  5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #130 Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    A workmanlike (workwomanlike?:)) win.

I disagree with Aly, I think we slowed the pace too much to meet Sweden's cadence.

Although it is difficult to play as fast as the prior two games when you have to play a little defense.

Really did not get Alex Morgan involved in the first half anywhere near enough. However, she was through for a goal if not for a really bad first touch on one play.

Thought we played pretty well defensively, cutting out the break, and supported each other fairly well, although the last 15 minutes or so was sloppy. Dunn is clearly an inexperienced defender though, luckily she has makeup speed to spare.

Thought the keeper played well for her first real action. Although, and it may not be her, it may be the way she's coached, but I think she sits too far forward in her goal on corner kicks, and even further forward in her goal, on free kicks from the side of the 18. I don't know how she can possibly control her 6 yard box from there. And you could see it with a couple crosses that went through the box...

Our 2 blondes in midfield dominated.

We need to shoot better from the top of and just outside the penalty box.

Anybody know the name of the US assistant coach that seems to do all the active coaching while Jill stands there?

One more thing, JP Dellacamera continues to be blind as a bat. How can he not realize for a half-hour that "Heath's"goal deflected off a defender? Whether it deflected enough to be an own goal, I have my doubts. And then he can't see that there are 7 minutes of extra time, and thinks it's 1. Get him some better glasses or get someone else, Fox.

6. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    This team has a lot going for it, but will struggle in a tight game. They really didn't create many dangerous opportunities against Sweden, and the finishing was poor on the ones they did create.

Rapinoe kills too many attacks. She (and Lloyd) also need to recognize the VAR will catch their love of the offside positions.

Press just isn't a good finisher.

If Lloyd plays midfield she will give up at least two very dangerous free kicks a game. At forward she is not clicking like she used to.

Dunn is going to give up a goal pretty soon. I like her positives, but it's coming.

Naeher is not going to bail the US out of anything.

Mewis and Horan are excellent.

The team worked much better with Lavelle in midfield than Lloyd.

The team needs either Lavelle or Brian on the field to make incisive passes in the offensive third.

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I don’t think the USA should be afraid of France. Aside from their opening game they have looked nervous. I think the pressure will get to them if USA plays them in quarters.

ntxsage repped this.
  8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This clip shows more effort than we did on some of our chances :p

Semblance17, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  9. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Have seen the second goal again. Take back what I said earlier about still giving the goal to Heath. Clear cut own goal. Initial shot/cross was definitely off target, and Andersson clearly extended her foot out to deflect the ball into the goal. I'm so confused why so many people are adamant this should be Heath's goal. Own goal; correct decision.

10. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Hey is Morgan injured?

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JP has had pretty poor eyesight for about 15 years. He makes a lot of missed calls and misidentifications. He clearly missed seeing what was an obvious deflection.

MiLLeNNiuM and Ethan Frank repped this.
  12. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    It was funny. Both commentators also seemed to forget about the VAR delay on the own goal while expressing their disbelief at 7 minutes of stoppage time.

Don't know how either commentator didn't catch the deflection. I was so confused why they kept highlighting and praising the goal. It was definitely deflected enough to be an own goal; Heath's shot/cross was clearly off target.

blissett repped this.
  13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positioned incorrectly, IMO.

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The announcers forgot the added time for the VAR review when they questioned how much stoppage time was allowed.

blissett and Ethan Frank repped this.
  15. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    If they actively chose to play Canada over Spain, I think Sweden may be asking for trouble.

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was this about?

17. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Well, I think Canada's looked better than Spain so far. However, if Sweden didn't really care for this match, then that's fair.

18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How do you get that from what I said? They just did not care as long as they advanced. I actually think that in a tournament setting Spain is better than Canada.

19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    That's what I got my comment from. Why would Sweden want the right to play Canada when they could play Spain? Given Canada's placing in recent major tournaments and comparing Canada and Spain in this World Cup, you think Spain is better than Canada in a tournament setting? I definitely disagree, but maybe you will be proven correct. I just think they should have cared if they really didn't; it's just asking for trouble if you don't give your best at all times in my opinion.

cpthomas repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The possible bonus was not about R16, was avoiding France in the quarters.

But, as @FanOfFutbol said, it was mainly: we advance anyway and we rest some players; who cares about winning this meaningless match.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs a JP Dellaglasses.

22. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I think the US team has had the same problem for a long time and Ive seen nothing from Ellis that addresses it. First, what exactly is our game plan? I think its get the ball to the corner, cross and pray. We saw that time and time again today. Only problem is it resulted in zero goals. Morgan is not a good header in traffic. We have no real alternative to that. Little attack on the ground through the middle. Even if we try that... theres Morgan on the end and she doesnt do well in a crowd. In the end, I think our lack of a balanced attack could limit our run
    Im often hard on Horan but today she had a great game and fed Heath wide all game. Her best game Ive ever seen. I hate to say it but I think Rapinoe is done. Her wheels are gone and shes getting run down from behind often. I think Ellis should maybe change her role... maybe a late entry, like Lloyd?

23. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I drink when he says "that's blocked." I used to also drink when he said "that's cut off," but I couldn't do it. He's horrible.

McSkillz repped this.
  24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do think Spain is a harder matchup for Sweden than Canada, although either will give Sweden problems. Canada will try to play Sweden physically and Sweden is better equipped to handle Canada that Spain. It is not about who would win a match between Spain and Canada but rather it is about which team would give Sweden the greater number of problems. So, give a choice, Sweden would choose to play Canada over Spain.

That does not say that Sweden played for the result they got it is just saying that the lineup they fielded showed that they did not care much and so the US winning gave them exactly what they wanted/expected. They would have taken the win if the lineup could provide it but what they got was NOT anything they cared about.

Number007 and blissett repped this.
  25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?