WWC19 USA v SPAIN Round of 16, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an argument to be made here. Nevertheless, Naeher's pass to her was incredibly weak; it might have surprised Brunn so much she didn't even know what to do with it. And the nature of being GK is that the buck ultimately stops with you [especially for mistakes that start with you].

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their training is greater than the demands of the game. Superfit with very little body fat to drag around.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I tried that one but the answer, almost in unison, was then they should work even harder. We have been told to "leave it all on the field."

Note: They both have been told that. Don't you hate it when kids use the adult's words against them.

blissett repped this.
  4. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Mario answered it, but to add: they really shouldn't be completely dragging at the final whistle because you've always gotta have something in the tank for a sprint at any point in the last few minutes of the game. If you're so gassed at the whistle you can barely move, then that means you're going to be a complete liability at any given point between from minute 80 or so onward. And that's when you give up a goal. Or can't get on the end of something that should result in a goal.

In other words: don't ever leave it all on the field. Because you never know when you're REALLY gonna need that extra bit in a critical situation at the end.

russ, blissett, MiLLeNNiuM and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuff like this is part of why I prefer watching games without sound. It's bad enough having to watch the U.S. beat around the bush without having to listen to the commentators do the same.

Like last time I was watching at the bar of the restaurant next to my office [none of the TVs have sound there], and also like last time I was watching the Telemundo screen to boot [this time because it was 9 or 2 seconds ahead of FS1, depending on the stage of the game].

jnielsen repped this.
  6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morgan goes down so much - and stays down - every match that I'm going to need more than my fellow USA fans whining to believe Spain was playing an overly physical match. The US women aren't shy either, I like to say and with pride, too. In the friendly earlier this year, Spain was better for long stretches by holding possession. Now I understand that possession rarely led to any dangerous chances but Spain lacks dangerous presence up front with a couple caveats:
    • Jenni Hermoso made Coach Vilda look brilliant for putting her up front at the start, but you also need her to get the offense started in midfield
    • Patri Guijarro looks like a potentially dangerous forward, but this and the match against China were her first 90 minute matches since coming back from injury
    • If you're going to play a more direct game, then I don't understand not bringing on Falcon earlier.

blissett, Patrick167 and Juanele repped this.
  7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not watch American football or baseball or basketball but each sport has phrases that just grate on my sensibilities like when in hockey a player intercepts a pass they often say that he "detected" the pass. All sports have phrases like that. I wish I could watch sports at home with only crowd sounds and announcers identifying players. But we take what is given or we take nothing.

8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can they? Absolutely. Will they? ...

9. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because 1) this summarizes my feelings throughout the game and more importantly 2) one Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade reference isn't enough for one thread, I can't resist the opportunity:

[​IMG]

blissett and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  10. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's whatever the team makes it.

I just need to make a Star Wars reference now and I'll have all my favorite franchises covered...

blissett and TrueCrew repped this.
  11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it does our World Cup is over. We got extremely lucky that it didn't cost us this time. Many teams haven't been fortunate enough to get a second chance after a slip-up like that in the knockout rounds. It's not the type of error a team that hopes to win the World Cup should make even once, and it's one that it CANNOT afford to make twice, especially when playing against a team that doesn't plan to disappoint an entire stadium full of its fans.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For me you would still need "The Terminator," "Mad Max," "Star Trek," "and "The Thin Man," at a minimum.

blissett repped this.
  13. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got it.
    [​IMG]

I'll need a few more posts though.

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #289 FanOfFutbol, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Oh, thanks, I think. :eek:

Also I left out "Alien" at least the first two.

Edit I liked "Road Warrior" the best of that series. The line, "The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!" is classic.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #290 Semblance17, Jun 24, 2019
    Agree with all of this post except the boldface sentence; in spite of their colossal luck I still think the U.S. deserved the win (barely). Spain played kind of a dirty game. There were fouls and acting on both sides but I thought Spain did a little more fouling and flopping, and I wasn't a fan of the way they played the game overall. To their credit they clearly weren't intimidated [esp. once they smelled blood after the U.S. gave up that humiliating goal] and were playing for a win to the bitter end. To me the American shortfall in this game was not heart, grit, or determination but savvy; they just kept making bad decisions, both short-term and long-term. Can't get away with that against France...

jackdoggy and Geneva repped this.
  16. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #291 Semblance17, Jun 24, 2019
    As it happened I found a perfect reference in the first three seconds of the first Thin Man video I found. Me at the restaurant bar watching today's game:

blissett repped this.
  17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

blissett repped this.
  18. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevertheless, it will be significantly more difficult to win PKs against France. Not much of a strategy, not that it was our strategy in this match.

That's why on Friday our offense has to

and keep their shots on target.

19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good find. I have the entire movies from all the franchises mentioned so far and is I had to watch only one from start to finish it would be "The Thin Man" actors now days have forgotten, or never learned how to act like that. Probably should not talk so much about movies on a soccer board but my granddaughters are looking over my shoulder as I type and they insist, my sanity is in danger if I do not give in, that I mention their two favorite movies. Neither is part of any franchise. They are "Lawrence of Arabia" and "The Princes Bride." They are VERY adult for 10 and 13. The eldest's favorite book is "Les Misérables" which she just finished reading for the second time. This time in the original French." I hope I spelled the title correctly or I will be hearing about it for days. "Grandpa can't even spell "Misérables," my ego would be greatly wounded.

Well enough bragging about the short female creatures that are currently visiting. Got to go break up the latest fight and somehow get the youngest in bed.

blissett, MiLLeNNiuM and Semblance17 repped this.
  20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    We will have our hands full against France and have to play a lot better then we did today. Ellis seriously needs to make some changes or were on a plane home. The fact that it took two PKs to beat Spain should be a wake up call for Ellis. We are too slow in some positions and too old too. Will Ellis make adjustments? Doubt it

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    "I don't know if you've been keeping up with current events, but we're getting our @sses kicked!"

Not really apropos, but my favorite line from Aliens.

22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #297 FanOfFutbol, Jun 24, 2019
    I just had to come back before I forget, The 10 year old suggested a movie clip for the match against France: "Have fun storming the castle."
    Hope this works I've never pasted a video before.

jnielsen and Semblance17 repped this.
  23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Yeah well, the foul discrepancy can't be argued away with Morgan "going down too much", and a lot of the incidents seemed to involve a fair amount of contact in my opinion.

jnielsen and Geneva repped this.
  24. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @FanOfFutbol Since I never said I would be the one to provide all the references, I'm claiming this in partial satisfaction of your challenge.

Hermoso at Sauerbrunn and Naeher:

U.S. team before the game: We're going to start our knockout rounds strong!
    U.S. fans after watching the game:

I should probably stop the movie references for now. I'll sneak LoA and Terminator references into the next match thread [sneak might be the wrong word, given my limited talent for subtlety]. I was going to include Les Mis before I realized you weren't referring to any movie incarnation. Please don't mention any more. :D

jackdoggy repped this.
  25. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah - "I fart in your general direction'' would have been better.
    Some loose thoughts on the game...

Contrary to what most here seem to think, I thought Morgan did exactly what we needed her to do - draw attention and hold up the ball to allow others to gain access to the middle. Panedos should have received a yellow for her persistent fouling long before taking Rapino down late in the game. Spain took advantage of the ref in their hacking down of Alex, and others at times.

Mewis was just huge, I'm a Horan fan but I can see the value of Lavelle and Ertz is a rock, so there just isn't room for her.

Thought Dunne was real good

The Spanish RB was really good, but her drawing a card against Rapino was BS. Spain were much better than I'd seen them play previously - credit to them.
    And Naher made more than one poor clearance - she followed up the goal with a similar situation with Dunne later in the first half. Scary - we've been spoiled with our GK's for two decades and now we have an average one.

France will be another tight game - I didn't think they were all that v Brazil.