WWC19 USA v FRANCE Quarterfinal, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    The overall records between these teams is something like 17-2-2 in favor the US. The US will win this game.

Only X factor is if Ellis leaves Pinoe and Heath in too long before brining on Press and Lloyd if the US is struggling early. If the US does lose, its on Ellis.

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Well, she's been one of the best players in the world for years. She just looked gassed last match. I don't think she's done though.

I hope Ellis is confident making early subs.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though Pinoe did not do much last game after the first 20 minutes, finishing thise 2 pks was huge. And not easy. Canada blew a huge one late.

And though Ellis took some criticism for her late subs, telling Pinoe to take that PK instead of Morgan was 100% the right move.

Staying on Pinoe, other than Ertz/Horan, she is the grittiest player we have. Especially in attack. Morgan, Press, Heath, and Pugh are finesse players and Lloyd is a sub. We need some grit up there. Does not have to be SIZE necessarily (Akers, Parlow, Wambach), but some scrap/gritt (though Akers & Abby certainly had both). But smaller players have certainly had it as well (Hamm, Lilly, Milbrett, etc).

As Barkley says in hoops, it is not just a battle of skills, it is also a battle of WILLS.

I would argue you need at least one WILL type player in every line. Pinoe & Lloyd are our only options in that department up front. At least so far.

4. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, thinking I'll have 3 BS tabs open during the match on two monitors, with the game running on a 3rd. Tabs will be:
    - https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/wwc-19-qf-fra-usa-monzul-ukr.2104743/ to keep up with referee commentary,
    - https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/wwc19-usa-v-france-quarterfinal-pre-pbp-post.2104661/ for the US fan perspective on the match, and
    - https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/q46-france-v-usa-28-june.2104706/ for a slightly more international view of the match.

In the meantime, I've four hours to get some work done before the match. Then, it'll be Friday afternoon in my time zone, it will be after 5pm somewhere, and I'll make a cocktail and enjoy the match.

Glad I upgraded my computer and internet connection recently.....and picked up some Drambuie yesterday - I think a Rusty Nail will taste good.

jnielsen, MiLLeNNiuM and lil_one repped this.
  5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressive, but I'll predict that you still won't have as many tabs and monitors up as @Gilmoy !

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My granddaughters have decided that they will pass on a chance to go swimming this afternoon in order to watch this match. I did not expect that they would actually be that excited.

Now the US MUST win so as not to disappoint them. There is nothing more important to me as their happiness so there is extra pressure on the US. I hope they do not crumble under that tremendous added weight. ;)

Semblance17, jackdoggy and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    #107 htide, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    I thought that too, but then Alexi said the US will lose and i feel it restored balance to the karma.

I should note i do not think she has a big stupid mouth, if she feels that way good for her. I am just so damn superstitious.

Semblance17, MiLLeNNiuM and bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually France has beaten the US 3 times in 23 matches.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I think if the us has one strength it is handling the pressure. Being expected to win is nothing new.

They use a lot of sport psychology. I also found it interesting that Heather O'Reilly said the other day that during practice they often intentionally make bad ref calls which i thought was such an interesting tactic. It help explains how even when there is a bogus call they seem to be able to move past it nonetheless.

Semblance17, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  10. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    On the other hand, over the past three matches against the US, France has won twice and tied once.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  11. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This match should be one for the ages! I think the US has what it takes, but don't take anything for granted!

Semblance17 repped this.
  12. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Is it 3 pm yet. man i am not going to get anything done for work today....

Semblance17 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is interesting and really is an example of preparing for anything!

Semblance17 and blissett repped this.
  14. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I’ll be at my local pub again as last night was a success in terms of viewers AND till receipts ( said the publican )
    So he’s allowed me to commandeer the main TV and audio but told me NOT to shout things at the TV in French as the British Do Not Do foreign languages and it would alienate them. Poor dears.

I asked him if I could shout at the TV in Russian... He rolled his eyes and said. ‘glupi amerikanskiy’

jnielsen repped this.
  15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That is nothing but standard practice at all levels of coaching. I used to do that with all teams I coached (including as young as U10 girls) so they would learn to play the game without being impacted by the quality of the refereeing.

If coaches do not do this they are shortchanging their teams.

16. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about to leave to go to the watch party. I just wanted to say that this is going to be on Jill Ellis to properly manage the match. We have some tired legs and I don't want them stagnant like Norway but if Ellis doesn't rotate players in this match, that could easily happen.

Alex Morgan is injured, not sure how bad it is, but she's injured. I know they refuse to reveal that information but don't play her for the full 90. As a matter of fact, Christen Press could easily fill in that role and guess what? She has scored against the French before, so she'll be confident about that fact.

Naeher as usual needs to have a good game, if she costs us the match by the stupid blunders then I blame our manager for not doing better with goal keeper experience or using alternative selections.

Pinoe and Heath are slow. So.... yeah, not sure how thats going to work with France. Here's a thought.... how about Pugh? how about Jess McDonald?

17. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually why Rapinoe should not start. When she is on the field the rest of the team tries to rely on her far too much like they did in the Spain game. Rapino did nothing in that match yet the team insisted on playing the ball to her.

The team would be way better served to start Press and have her and her fresh legs run the French into the ground. Then if we need a goal in the second half bring in a fresh Rapinoe against a tired defense. Then maybe she would accomplish something.

18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I believe that Pugh's style is ideally suited for play against France. I would like to see her start but I doubt she will. If she does not start she needs to be a sub between the half and the 60 minute mark.

19. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hear you. I am "working from home" today. Can't think of anything but the match. Go USA!

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

usafan1985, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  21. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that tweet from Wahl is accurate then Jill Ellis is even dumber than I thought. Horan was the best player on the pitch during the Group Stage. WTH???

McSkillz repped this.
  22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ertz, Mewis, and Horan is our best midfield combo for this match-up, but I guess its not going to happen.

23. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Ertz, Mewis and Lavelle will be fine. Figure she starts the same group she did against Spain.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two monitors.
    Two streams, this and FIVB VNL (m) Bulgaria-USA. (That starts at 13:40 EDT, so I should finish G1-G2 pbp there before this starts)
    About ten tabs in two windows: three pbp threads, FIFA for lineups, ESPN for their pbp, and six or so tweet tabs.
    And Emacs lurking behind it all, split into 3 panes :laugh:

25. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Ertz, Horan, Mewis is better suited to France's physical play. Lavelle's had a solid tournament but I think this is the game you sit her. Also, Rapinoe and Heath seem tired. I would not be opposed to Press starting for one of them.

But alas, it's too late. Ellis has made her mind up.