WWC19 USA v FRANCE Quarterfinal, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 24, 2019.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    2011 quarterfinals v Brazil, but we were a player down for most of that.

2. WorldCupfanUSA

None
    United States
    Jun 23, 2018
    Rapinoe is such an arrogant A**HOLE the way she spreads her arms out to the crowd after she scored like she's a GOD or something!!

I've seen a lot of men's and women's World Cup over the past 20 years and I can't think of a SINGLE player who's been such an ARROGANT show off after they score! Look how Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain, & Abby Wambach celebrated. Nowhere NEAR as ostentatious!

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    ...not sure if serious...

4. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I used to like watching her play...but she rubs me the wrong way now. Between the anthem antics, hair, celebrations....everything screams, look at me.... it’s played out.

She needs to put her hand on her chest and sing, go back to blonde, and act like this isn’t the first time she’s scored a goal.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Why. Do. People. Care. If. Someone. Sings?

I'm a ********ing terrible singer. The world is better if I don't sing. Am I a terrible person?

There is some real insecurity going on, and I have no idea where it even comes from. Who give a ******** if someone positions their limbs in a certain way or fails to wail out-of-tune to a song?

Seriously, why is it SUCH an issue?

BigJbaz, McSkillz, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was hilarious, and utterly fitting for her. She's deliberately being over-the-top, like a Steven Colbert or Anne Hathaway skit, or Boitano channeling arrogant Napoleon to pip Orser for gold in Canada.

1. She earned it, by scoring against France. In France. In a World Cup QF. We don't have a surplus of players like that.

2. She has a sense of flair for the dramatic, which comes out only during goof-off moments (such as immediately after scoring). In the run of play, she's as serious as any other top player. When goofing off, she senses the importance of the moment, and scales her reactions to fit. For average goals against middling NWSL opponents, she has smaller celebrations, no worse than any other player does. For bigger goals against top opponents (esp. on the road), she might play to the crowd. Heath hath bowed, Kerr umop apisdn goeth, Rapinoe sometimes makes of herself a lightning rod. It's meant to make French fans wince and mutter.

3. Before the match, Rapinoe was mentally tough enough to want this match-up, and the circus that went with it. She thrives under that pressure, and delivered when it really counted. In fact, we generally see this as one of USA's strengths: that we have a history of thriving in big games. What do we say about France in major tournaments? (They earned that, too :coffee:) I'd rather have Rapinoe's (and USA's) fortitude than, say, Le Sommer, who is a fine player but hardly made an impression before, during, or after.

4. She actually beta-tested ;) a similar arm gesture once, after scoring a tight-angle 20m half-volley on the run for (then-)Seattle Reign a few years ago. But that was playing to the home crowd, who appreciate her already. I am glad to see that she has refined it since :D

Yes, some of our other players (past and present) would have celebrated differently. And when one of them deigns to actually score sometime this year, they can show us what they do :mad: I hope Rapinoe continues to behave in exactly the same way for about two more matches, and maybe 1 more year after that.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She did it earlier this year in the friendly against Australia as well.

But in any case, I'm not sure how both of these statements can be true:
    and

bungadiri, orcrist and blissett repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  9. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Clearly you aren’t an American. Get a clue. It’s about respect for our country.

She’s also being looked up to by millions of little girls....I sure don’t want my daughter thinking it’s okay to be disrespectful to the country she lives in.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Please tell me how compelling "respect" (your extraordinarily narrow definition of it) is in keeping with the ideals upon which this country was founded?

And yes, I am an American.

So you want to force another human being to act in a particular way so you can avoid the act of teaching your daughter something? How lazy.

11. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Wow. You really have no clue. You’re a Rapinoe homer.....

I clearly understand my responsibilities of a father and not passing it off to MEGAN RAPINOE. LOL

My POINT is that all these kids have access to different types of media to see her antics...I.e. “I’m not going to the f...ing White House”. And I’m not even a Trump supporter! Just act with some class because your being looked at by millions of girls who “want to look up to you”, and that’s what this woman lacks.

Hopefully you understand this comment and stop swerving the point in BS directions because you are in love with the woman.

12. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GTFOH with this kind of crap, "New Member".
    You chose your 14th post of Big Soccer to tell a regular poster they're not American? Telling people they're "not American" because they don't conform to your standards of behavior is about as disrespectful as you can get for "our country".

Patrick167, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  13. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with Gilmoy. Rapinoe uses the attention she garners as motivational. If you've got pink hair you'd better be good, cause people will notice if you're not.

There is nobody who plays with more intensity than Rapinoe; but she is gracious and generous to her opponents -- after, and sometimes during, the match.

I have little patience with the people who think that if they salute the flag and sing the national anthem they can call themselves patriots. "The last refuge of a scoundrel is patriotism."

sitruc, jnielsen, FanOfFutbol and 2 others repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I actually don't much like her.

Then maybe you should do the super-hard work of - ya know - TEACHING her that some people behave in non-uptight-daddy-approved manners.

So what? We all have access to it. There are several remedies to such horrific naughtiness, one of which is ignoring assholes. Rapinoe is a bit of an asshole, according to some people. I think she is for entirely different reasons than you, I'd guess. I manage to ignore her Twitter-vomit just as I ignore the President's.

I could not give any fewer ********s.

Maybe - just maybe - you can exercise your parental responsibility and give your daughter the gift of discernment, rather than the reflex to appeal to some authority like an actual authoritarian. Why do you feel the need to shield and farm out the responsibility you seem to hold so dear?

You should stop sputtering and think for a half a second.

Rapinoe might be one of my least favorite athletes.

15. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just stop talking. You have no idea who I am and what I am as a parent. Who the hell do you think you are passing judgments like this.

My point was based on facts...and that is this lady lacks class. Not one person on this board can deny that.

You took this in a whole different direction and are making assumptions about what I am as a parent.

Seriously, just stop. You’re embarrassing yourself.

And I made the mistake of even brining this chick up because clearly there is a divide. I’ll also stop posting because it’s pointless.

16. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love absolutist statements like this that are so trivial to refute.
    Here I am denying that.
    I think - but unlike you, have the self awareness not to assume - that I'm not alone.

Edit: Here's some food for thought. Apparently the guy you are arguing with is the one I muted because I got sick of arguing with him about the other celebration, so it's kind of strange that *both* of us are saying you're full of it :p

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    All I know is what I read, and you've been writing some pretty stupid stuff. You bring up parenting, but stridently appear to be wishing that others did your job for you and that Rapinoe should be compelled to do certain things in certain ways.

You appear to have difficulty understanding the meanings of words. What you posited was the definition of an OPINION, which is not a fact.

You guided things in that very direction.

I'm pretty sure there's one of us embarrassing themselves, and it ain't me.

Ah, taking the ball and going home. Well done, sir!

taosjohn repped this.
  18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marianne Williamson, is this you? o_O

19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the old days, before everyone wore technicolor, one of my teammates showed up at practice with white boots (for the youngsters, the whole rest the team wore black, as normal).

Old grizzled English teammate: "if you're going to wear that shite, ya better be fooking good".,..

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Aww, I feel so honored to have made your ignore list!

21. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too.

Hey, that's actually apropos...:cool:

orcrist repped this.
  22. dmax316

dmax316 Member

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  23. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me thrice :D

orcrist repped this.
  24. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas

What’s funny is you probably have never touched a soccer ball in your life. That’s what I find so amusing on these boards..... I would love to put your soccer resume up to mine, and then we’ll see who should be even opening up their mouth on these boards.

Nobody’s going home! I’ll come at you all day long....

25. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Megan Rapinho has. She would certainly dribble circles around you, and I'm positive her soccer resume leaves yours in the dust.

So, by your logic...

sitruc repped this.