wwc u.s. vs colombia june 22nd pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Jun 18, 2015.

1. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Are you blind?

2. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Apparently one of us is.

3. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    This team is the same one that beat france in the algarve cup, right? Am I missing something? This france team that lost 2-0 to colombia is supposed to beat us?

goaleemama repped this.
  4. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    This is just dumb...

Go to 1:07. It's slowed down so you can see the foul which happened on the line. Not on that red thing you drew on that blurry thing.

sitruc and kool-aide repped this.
  5. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    This is like the part in the conversation where someone say's they've been having a conversation with a horse. You have no idea what to say next.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes, the same France team that beat the US and Germany by 2-0 scores. That's them.

Katreus, Semblance17 and Dundalk24 repped this.
  7. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    The only problem is that TG has basically been asked to renovate Ellis's living room, but leave the huge column in the middle (guess who) blocking the TV set and sitting right where the coffee table would go.

exref and Dom. FC repped this.
  8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    That was a while ago. We more recently beat them in a tournament that actually matters in the women's game. Not saying they cant beat us but much of this handwringing is media hype. This USWNT side does not fear France.

9. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Not the same team, France had 4-5 starters out at the Algarve cup.

10. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Yea ok and we were missing Solo, Rapinoe and AND had a different back line combination as well. That loss to France was not best vs best.

11. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    From that Algarve Cup final against an undermanned French side.

Stats Summary: USA / FRA

Shots: 5 / 11
    Shots on Goal: 2 / 7
    Saves: 7 / 0
    Corner Kicks: 2 / 7
    Fouls: 13 / 6
    Offside: 3 / 2

Result very much against the run of play. Only two SOG. Both converted. The USWNT may need similar efficient finishing against the ROP if they are to contend. But you can't expect that to be an effective winning strategy. In this sport only goals count but I wouldn't take an abundance of confidence from this result given the other issues shown in this match. Really, despite the result the US overall played better "football" in February in their loss against a fuller strength French side in Lorient.

12. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on which France shows up...and which U.S. shows up. I don't believe France was at it peak strength when it was defeated by the U.S. in March, and it obviously wasn't performing at 100% it lost to Colombia, even though that loss was helped along a little by the refs. But France had no problem defeating the sloppy, unorganized incarnation of the U.S. in February. And any team that can beat Germany in a World Cup knockout match (unless Germany plays a very clumsy game) it is not a team to be trifled with.

Morris20 repped this.
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    France beat Germany Oct 25, 2014 and the US Feb 8,2015 and lost to the US Mar 11, 2015. France also beat Japan 3-1 on Mar 9, 2015. Now none of this means France wont disappear at the big moment but no one has a better record against the top teams than France does in the last year.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Despite all the criticism of the US team, the way they r coached and style they play, the title will be deserved as they will have to best the France/Germany winner in the semi and likely Japan in the final. If they fail, the groundwork has been laid for a lot of I told u sos.

Morris20, EbaJones and Semblance17 repped this.
  15. EbaJones

EbaJones Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    FFC Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the fullbacks be exposed because we are having them move so far forward they could play outside back for the other team or that we have a forward playing as outside mid, drifting to the middle and failing to track back on defense or that we don't have a true DM? If these practices don't change you are correct but who will be at fault?

16. EbaJones

EbaJones Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    FFC Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Don't know if you noticed that Lady Andrade switched to the other side in the second half of the match.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try going to a Portland Thorns home game, if you ever get a chance, and sit with the Rose City Riveters (a reference to Rosie the Riveter). You'd feel fully a part of the group, I guarantee it. Men, women, old, young, who cares?

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    this is often the normal stat chart when the winning goal is scored early in the game. the losing team attacks for a longer period and takes more shots, and the winning team defends for a longer period and fouls more.

the earlier the winning goal is scored, the greater the discrepancies.

for example, here is the stat chart for the february game in which pinoe and leroux were injured, and which france won, but in which the winning goal was scored much later.

Shots: 15 / 11
    Shots on Goal: 7 / 4
    Saves: 3 / 6
    Corner Kicks: 3 / 2
    Fouls: 5 / 7
    Offside: 0 / 1

i agree, tho, that france is on a roll. won't be surprised if they win the whole thing. let's see if they can beat germany first, and if the u.s. can get by china.

19. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Sweden scored in all their game except against USWNT, but not a great offensive team and only scored once/game except against Nigeria.

20. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well it seems obvious that is Ellis not him who chose which forwards they starts.
    If he was we would see a lot more of Press as forward and probably a lot less of Abby.

21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't new, it's been the tone of discussions on BigSoccer since the moment Ellis became coach and also reflects some of the tone when Pia was the coach and before that. About the only time it wasn't negative was when Sermanni was coach, although after his Algarve Cup it was starting to turn that way for him too.

If the US doesn't win, the discussion typically is negative; and when it wins, the discussion typically is negative because the US didn't win the way posters wanted it to. And, in any case, the discussion typically is negative because the players on the team aren't the ones that posters think should be on the team. And, even though the women are in the World Cup quarters and have outscored their opponents 7-1 including in the Group of Death and including against a round of 16 opponent that beat France 2-0 in the group stage, the discussion is negative because the posters think the US development system for women's soccer players is no good. And, although the tone of the discussion about the defense was positive for a while, recently that's started to turn negative too. And, even if the US women win the Cup, the tone will continue to be negative for all of these reasons except for the failure to win reason, except that in that case the discussion about winning will be tinged with regret that the women won because it will lock the other issues in place for a few more years.

lil_one, Morris20, Gilmoy and 3 others repped this.
  22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a statement from the Colombian GK about the PK call:

"All of a sudden, I saw Morgan had broken past our defense and was coming at me one-on-one. I made a quick decision—stay big. I was ball-fixated. Everything happened quickly. I noticed the ball was out of the danger zone, but that Morgan was on the floor. I thought I was about to get a yellow card, but never a red."

So, she thought a foul was going to be called, but that it would be outside the goal area and not a DOGSO.

23. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Isn't that ratio every French game against a good team in a major tournament (WWC,Oly)? Of which they haven't made a final?

24. Bclay

Bclay Member

May 29, 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we're playing as well as we could be, but there definitely seems to be some overreactions here and in the media. I think part of it might be the high expectations from people who only tune in for the World Cup and think we'll just waltz into the final every tournament. Another part might be what the commentators are saying during the games, as I've seen that greatly influence people's own opinions before. I haven't listened to the commentators during any of the games so far, so I have no idea if that's the case here though.

Seems like some people are talking about it as if the USA have no chance of winning... it's not like the other teams are just steamrolling everyone. The only team that's won every game so far is Japan, and all of their wins have only been by a goal.

Morris20 and hedur repped this.
  25. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    No, not quite "every game." The US defeated France 4-2 at the 2012 Olympic Games. The state line from that match:

Shots: 8 / 9
    Shots on Goal: 7 / 3
    Saves: 1 / 3
    Corner Kicks: 6 / 6
    Fouls: 8/ 7
    Offside: 4 / 4