WWC TV Details

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by btharner, Jul 21, 2007.

1. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Searching through espnmediazone.com, I was able to piece together their WWC TV schedule:

9/10 GER-ARG 07:55am(ET) ESPN2
    9/11 USA-PRK 04:55am ESPN2
    JPN-ENG 07:55am ESPN
    NGR-SWE 07:55am ESPN2

9/12 NZL-BRA 04:55am ESPN
    GHA-AUS 04:55am ESPN2
    NOR-CAN 07:55am ESPN
    CHN-DEN 07:55am ESPN2

9/14 SWE-USA 04:55am ESPN
    ARG-JPN 04:55am ESPN2
    ENG-GER 07:55am ESPN
    PRK-NGR 07:55am ESPN2

9/15 CAN-GHA 04:55am ESPN
    DEN-NZL 04:55am ESPN2
    BRA-CHN 07:55am ESPN
    AUS-NOR 07:55am ESPN2

9/18 GER-JPN 04:55am ESPN
    ENG-ARG 04:55am ESPN2
    NGR-USA 07:55am ESPN
    PRK-SWE 07:55am ESPN2

9/19 AUS-CAN 04:55am ESPN
    GHA-NOR 04:55am ESPN2
    BRA-DEN 07:55am ESPN
    NZL-CHN 07:55am ESPN2

9/22 QF1 04:55am ESPN2
    QF2 07:55am ESPN2

9/23 QF3 04:55am ESPN2
    QF4 07:55am ESPN2

9/26 SF1 07:55am ESPN2

9/27 SF2 07:55am ESPN2

9/30 3rd pl. 04:55am ESPN2

Final 07:55am it says ESPN2 but I thought it was supposed
    to be on ABC.

Numerous editions of World Cup Live are also scheduled and a number of matches will be re-aired on ESPN Classic. In fact, the final is scheduled for three separate airings on the 30th.

No mention is made of who will make up the announcing teams.

2. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the info, that's awesome! Hopefully Julie Foudy will be one of the announcers!

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I never thought I'd say I'm looking forward to the 7:55am games. Enjoy the live games west coasters.

4. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    My DVR will be getting a workout.

5. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha. I'm NOT amused. I'm gonna be in EST for those games (thank you college haha!) but i have *GULP* an 8 AM class 4 days a week. Plus travelling... **sigh**

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A rumor I picked up this summer is that the games may be broadcast in HD.

They are being shot in PAL HD, so conversion to NTSC HD would be necessary, as well as the increased amount of transmission bandwidth back to the U.S.

If the technical and scheduling issues between the HB (Host Broadcaster), ESPN, and the satellite transmitters can be worked out, the games should be available in HD.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Thanks for that extra bit of information. I hope they are in HD. My eyes will need all the distraction they can get to keep me awake at that time in the morning.

8. Zap9

Zap9 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    baja Arizona
    Thank god for DVR. Although I must say, getting up to watch a 3 am game lent a surreal quality to the MWC game in which the US scored twice on Poland in what, the first five minutes? I was sitting there in a glazed stupor and kept asking my girlfriend, "Is this the right game? Did that just happen?"

HD would be a major bonus.

9. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    You were in such a stupor you didn't realize it was Poland that scored twice inside 5 minutes ;)

10. revpro21

revpro21 New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    boston,ma, usa
    i just heard that espnhd and espn2hd will be airing the wcup games as well as espn and espn2

should look great

11. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Another trip to espnmediazone.com to check on the listings (pertaining to the switch of the final Group A matches from Sept. 18 to Sept. 17) has identified the commentators for ESPN/ESPN2 coverage, although no mention is made of the studio show hosts.

The commentators are:
    Play-by-play
    JP Dellacamera (no surprise)
    Adrian Healey (many raved about his WC commentary last year)

Analysts
    Julie Foudy (again, no surprise)
    Tony DiCicco (excellent perspective as a former coach)
    Lori Walker (did well on NBC during 2004 Olympics)

12. ComputerPooper

ComputerPooper New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Poor Wendy Gebauer. I wonder how she's doing financially lately, now that Julie Foudy has taken her job.

13. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Any update on whether the ESPN games will be broadcast in HD?

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The US games are listed on chs 72 or 73 which are the HD chs for DTV.

There are also many, but not all, of the other games listed on the HD chs.

If you are wondering about a particular game just go the the DTV web site and pull up the listings and change it to the date and time of the game in question and you will have your answer.

15. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Using a TWC DVR to record the WWC

Does anyone have some WWC recording advice for a DVR newbie? I finally broke down and got one from Time Warner Cable two days ago and so far it seems to be working fine, but I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about having to rely so heavily on a new piece equipment to record so many WWC matches. :eek:

There seemed to be a lot of reliability issues with TWC's DVR a few years ago, but I haven't heard any recent complaints so hopefully that is a good sign. So far the only problem I've had is that sometimes a recording stops just before the program ends. :mad: I used to always set my VCR to start taping a few minutes early and go a few minutes long, but I'm not aware of any way to do this using a DVR other than also recording the programs immediately before and after.

17. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Using a TWC DVR to record the WWC

I'm not familiar with that brand of DVR (as they all have their own interface). However, either when setting the recording or after it's already set - you should be able to extend the Stop time. I do this for every soccer match I record in case it runs long (extra time, overtime, pk's, etc.). If you ever find yourself frustrated... call the company! Keep bugging them until they get someone who can walk you through it. That frustration is much easier to handle than missing any WWC matches! Best of luck.

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On my Cablevision DVR, what I do is go into the guide and find the program I want to record. When I select to record, it asks me to confirm the times. There I can adjust the start and end times.

19. Mexicana

Mexicana New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Mexico City
    Once again, congratulations to all of you in Europe and North America for the broadcasting of the WWC, while here in Latin America, not ESPN not anybody have plans to transmit the games. Sadly, the macho attitude still rules in our region.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    At least you may or may not be able to view the matches online.:eek:

21. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Thanks Crimson Ace. After reading your post I discovered "recording options" which lets me extend the time of the recording. :cool:

Well it looks like I am just about set now so that in about 4 1/2 hours I can begin my 80-90 hours of WWC recording :D that will take place over just the next three weeks. :eek:

22. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No problem! Now let's just hope the US Women have as much success at the WWC and you've had with your DVR...! :D

23. reverb

reverb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Yeah, OK, thanks to ESPN for showing every match. But no thanks to them for showing some of the matches at the same time without repeating one of the matches later in the day. I mean, come on, they couldn't replay one match of the day at 1 am or something so we could tape it?:mad:

24. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the thread starter for the TV schedule rundown. I had looked at a different list on another site which was poorly assembled and almost caused me to miss-record the England game.

Thanks for your effort--very much appreciated!

Regarding previous posts--I also find programs get clipped near the end so if you've got the time and energy to go through the process it's definitely worth setting your digital recorder to go past the "normal" finishing time, even if there's no extra time or penalty kicks involved. Thanks for reminding me.

On that subject, thanks to my DVR I can record two programs at the same time and that really helps with World Cups. I sympathize with those who cannot do that, it could mean making some tough choices. Really, for all futbol fanaticos (and fanaticas!), it's worth investing in the gear to "double record".

Unfortunately, despite all the supposed technological advances there's always a risk with trusting your luck to recording games, as opposed to watching live, however given the time difference, few of us Stateside have a choice.

Well it simply remains for me to say: "Go USA" and "Up the luvverly England"!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

25. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Mmmm, Hope Solo in HD. Too bad she didn't play as well as she looked.