PBP: WWC Semifinal USA vs Germany June 30 - Montreal pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by SaintNdaCity, Jun 26, 2015.

1. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuesday, Olympic Stadium, 7pm match time.
    We Believe that We Will Win!

McSkillz repped this.
  2. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probable Jill ellis lineup:
    Morgan ---- Press
    Holliday
    Rapinoe - O'Hara
    Brian
    Same back 4 plus Solo

I have to think that Lloyd will be gassed, and Jill will reluctantly not start her, keep her as a supersub.

3. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We're going to lose just like in 2003. Germany looked straight-up bad in the France match but we are not as good as France.

4. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    No way Lloyd sits and I am not sure Press totally redeemed herself in Jills eyes. Once a forward is in the doghouse the only way out is shots on goal, assists and goals. Press had a few bright moments going forward but not so sure she did enough to unseat Arod, Leroux or even Wambach as a Forward.I think there is a better chance we get today's lineup than yours(I like yours though)

imasyko, kernel_thai and jackiesdad repped this.
  5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany didn't look bad in that 2nd half.

South American repped this.
  6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd will play. Don't see Ellis sitting her after the game winner.

South American repped this.
  7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game vs Germany will take a bit of a different approach in that the Germans will not bunker like the Chinese did. They will throw numbers forward on attack & with speed.

8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I think we would have lost to France but Germany is a favorable matchup and our Defense is better than France's. Our backline has conceded 0.25 goals against over 11 matches they have started together or thereabouts. That is crazy. I am concerned about containing Marozsan, Laudehr and most of all Sasic but not much else they have bothers me. Popp looked terrible to me. Mittag looked tired. Angerer is a good counterpoint to Solo. I think our comfortable 90 minute performance vs their 120 minutes slugfest will tell on them. I think Leroux, Press, Morgan and Arod all have the ability to terrorize their back four.

imasyko and Namdynamo repped this.
  9. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hope you're right. I really want us to win, but I still worry that no matter what we do, we won't win "pretty enough" for some folks. I've noticed , both here and on that Equalizer site, tons of commenters who are allegedly Americans just openly rooting against our team's success because "it would set a bad example" for WoSo if the USA wins. Because of our "ugly" style.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have to travel and they do not. That's advantage Germany

11. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's not "my" lineup -- it's my first guess as what Jill will put out there. Despite all the Jill bashing (and I've done some) on BS... if the physios tell Jill that Abby and Carli have logged too many minutes on this turf (and they have) -- they will show that in training as well. But if they can show that they can go... I'm afraid Carli and Abby will get the start. This prediction is based on them being not available.

12. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a two hour bus ride between the two stadiums. I'm sure US will be based maybe in Laval-- west of Montreal -- they probably traveled tonight after the game.

The US was also on the front foot all night. USA only had to defend for maybe 20 minutes total. Whereas Germany had a to play 120 minutes -- and each one of those minutes were Intense. Germany's effort today was equal to TWO full games. So their tanks aren't just empty, they are DRY.

law10 repped this.
  13. South American

Aug 3, 2008

14. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone notice how far up the field our CB were tonight? Johnston was past the midfield circle a number of times, and Sauerbrunn was on the sidelines for a throw in about ten yards from China's endline in the 2nd half.

While it may be a good tactic to have a high line against Germany (maybe!) -- Julie and Becky ... I don't see they venturing past the midfield line with Sasic, Mittag, and Marzipan (sp!) coming at them.

ForeverLOST108 and South American repped this.
  15. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry about commentators of BS and Equalizer, they don't represent the majority of the supporters. Also with the internet you get the trolls. It happens with every fanbase. They are very capable of winning this next match. Tonight's game proved to me we can put something together finally!

16. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhh, they are probably there now. It wasn't a long trip.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  17. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Travelling from Ottawa to Montreal is no big deal. I think we need to really train on marking on set pieces. The way Sweden used different looks against us on every set piece was a good test but Germany will be bringing even more firepower so not conceding ffree kicks and corners will be critical.

18. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I've been one of those critics. But I promise you if the USA wins the whole damn thing I won't care about winning ugly. My only concern about their play is that it hasn't been up to scratch and up to the level of performance they'll need to lift that trophy. I believe at little bit more now than yesterday though.

19. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Ellis should go regardless of whether she wins or loses. It really shouldn't take a brand new formation 5 games into the WWC to figure out that having some wingers on the wings would be helpful in getting width and balancing out the attack. She constantly puts our team in bad positions, and luckily, our team is winning despite her sabotage.

People like "pretty play" because that helps teams win easily. Having the ball is the best defense and offense: the other side can't score on you if they don't have the ball, you make the other team chase and tire out and you don't have to play exhaustive defense for stretches of the game, and, of course, if you have the ball and can create multiple opportunities, you can score and put the game out of reach. If the team can't string together 3 passes, that's the US constantly on the back foot. It means each chance at a goal is stingier, and our forwards will have a lot of pressure to convert at a much higher / more efficient rate.

Of course, "pretty play" is also just prettier so some people like to watch it more, but I would wager that for most US fans, it's preferred because it's easier on the team both in the current game and in the next game.

Obviously, it's not impossible to win. It's just needlessly making it harder on yourself to do so, and I'd wager that's why many US fans were disappointed in the level of play. Germany is scary enough without conceding to them, say, 2/3 possession in the match because we can't put together a spell of possession.

(Also, LOL @ people whining about Anti-Americanism. Support for a team to win isn't blind support if the team is playing terribly, which they were. Gee, whiz, I guess we should detach our eyes and minds from the spectacle Ellis has put out for us. We don't even need to discuss how the team could look better, just mindlessly post "I believe US will win" ad infinitum.)

20. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My worry is set piece defending. The US have not looked confident clearing the ball after a set piece and Goessling is the best set piece taker in the tournament outside of Miyama. I'd be shocked if Germany doesn't score. The US will need to score multiple goals to win, IMO.

21. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope beyond all that Ellis realizes that Abby is NOT the way to beat Germany. We need to pressure their back line with speed and strong wing play. I am sure I will be way off with what Ellis actually trots out on the field but here is my shot at how you win.
    Solo
    Same Back 4
    Brain
    Oharra, Heath, Llyod, Rapino
    Morgan and Arod/Press

While Alex didn't show much yesterday she also didn't get much service worth a crap either and she is our best finisher. I liked Arod's pressure and speed yesterday but damn girl can you ever shoot on frame?

22. Theseofam

Theseofam Member

Feb 10, 2005
    I would like to see Lloyd and Rodriguez up top.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I see it going one of two ways. Either Germany wins big or the US wins a close, low scoring match. If the US can get an early goal it helps them immensely.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I see Ellis going back to her starters so no Brian or O'Hara. The question is can Rapinoe and Holiday play the up tempo, high pressure style that worked against China or will they go back to a slower tempo where players hold onto the ball until the defense strips them? If they do decide on high pressure, do they try and do it with Wambach in there in the futile hope she can effect the game on the other end? My advice, throw sentimentality to the wind and play the players and the style that gives u a chance to win. And if the players u pick arent doing it, get them off ASAP.

I would start

..............Morgan..............Press
    .............................Lloyd
    Rapinoe..................................O'Hara
    ...........................Holiday
    Klingenberg-Sauerbrunn-Johnston-Krieger

And I have Brian, Heath & Leroux ready to go if Press, Rapinoe and Holiday cant do it.

25. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    Agreed Lloyd is in I have never in my life seen a coach bench a player after they scored the winning goal the game before, no matter how bad they played.