WWC Prize cash-in trip to KY for US JAPAN

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by seanT, Jun 2, 2004.

1. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Hey folks

I was the winner of the McDonalds Pick and Win contest for the WWC.
    (yes i predicted Germany to win, but mostly as a gambling strategy - picking against the favorite)

Anyway, my family and I are off to Louisville this weekend on our prize trip.
    Get to watch practice on Saturday followed by a clinic then a trip to McDonalds. Sunday of course we go to the match.

I figure we will know who will probably not be starting on Sunday based on who draws McDonald's duty!

should be fun. I will post a report.

2. LoTheLurker

LoTheLurker New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Looney Town
    Congratulations. You voted for Germany? eek. (just kidding)

3. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Congratulations. We're looking forward to your report.

4. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Re: WWC Prize cash-in trip to KY for US JAPAN-trip report

Back from Louisville for the US Japan match thanks to winning the mcdonalds, yahoo FIFA pick and win contest for the 2003 WWC.

Except for a somewhat disappointing match it was great fun.

The prize package was a trip for two, but I took my wife and both kids, just paid for two airfares. My wife is from Louisville so it was great excuse to go see family as well.

We are able to get a few extra soccer-playing cousins in on part of it as well.

Saturday we were met by reps from US soccer and, more importantly as it turns out, the us womens national soccer team players association.

We went in and watched the practice. As someone who used to be a serious
    (as in I made money at it) soccer coach its always interesting to watch the pros practice. That being said, I was a little concerned watching the practice.
    I realize you don't want to kill yourself the day before a match, but there was a notable lack of intensity and lack of opporunity to show or generate any intensity.

Following the practice Julie Foudy beckoned the rep from the players association to bring us onto the field. I've had a few occasions in the past to interact a little bit with some of the national team and WUSA players and I always come away impressed.

As usual they were without exception very friendly and cooperative. Very willing to sign anything put in front of them, pose for pictures in various combinations. (My father teaches at the University of Florida so I had to get a Go Gators pic with the Florida grads for example

My favorite moments were looking up to see my two boys, ages 5 and 7 both engaged in spontaneus"kick arounds" with players. Using the balls they had been collecting autographs on, Carter my 5 year old was kicking with Brandi Chastain while Grant my 7 year old was kicking with Heather Mitts. Both were also having serious conversations. Carter and Brandi were talking about being left-footed, while I kept hearing Grant say "Yea thats what my Dad says too" Turns out that was mostly Heather renforcing my coaching maxims, like, learn to use both your feet, and be able to play any position.

A bit later my nephew informs me that Carter has been trash talking Brandi Chastain, apparently challenging her to take the ball from him. He has never been lacking in confidence. As we gathering up to leave Carter had apparently followed her over to the bench. I said, Carter many folks would like to go home with Brandi Chastain, but we stay with our families.

There were other groups there, so I imagine the players were at if for a while.
    On my way out, I stopped Coach Henrich to get her to sign this poster I had.
    She had heard that I won the WWC prediction contest so she asked about that then said "so, does that mean you picked Germany?"

I sheepishly admitted that was the case, but followed it up with my explanation that it had a gambling strategy. Luckily being in KY on a day when a horse was trying to win the triple crown, I had a quick analogy. "I just can't bet the favorite, why just today I bet against Smarty Jones"
    (by the way a $2 bet Saturday paid $75. I just did not bet the right horse that was not Smarty Jones)

So it was fun. The prize was supposed to have included a "soccer lesson" but there were some logistical problems. The team had to get off the field. So I was even more grateful for the play of Chastain and Mitts. Prize also included lunch at McDonalds, which took the form of $75 in mcdonalds gift certificates- we have already gotten 3 of those pedometers they are giving away with their new "active adult happy meals"

Final parts of the prize were ground transportation ( in my case rental car) and a hotel, which since we had family there, we just used for the pool.

Sunday we had really great seats for the match.

I thought I saw at ponytailposse.com the web site of the players association, they are having a contest for a similiar chance to meet the team. I highly recommend checking it out.

5. boingo

boingo Member

Forward Madison FC
    Feb 17, 2003
    WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent report! (Especially the part about Heinrich asking about your winning pick... :)

Thanks.

6. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
  7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Sounds like fun, sean. It's so refreshing to see how our ladies relate to the fans. So many athletes think that they're too big or important for the regular people, but not our Nats. I had the opportunity to meet most of the team a few years ago at an indoor soccer tour, and they were some of the friendliest and funniest people I've ever met. Jules is hilarious! :D

Too bad the game wasn't the best, but hey, it still sounded like a good time.

8. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Re: WWC Prize cash-in trip to KY for US JAPAN-trip report

Thanks for the full report. I guess their lack of intensity carried over to the next day. Until Chastain came in, anyway.

In another thread someone asked for more information about how they conducted practices. Any more you care to contribute?