WWC 2019 rosters

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by lil_one, Apr 27, 2019.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    One of the youngest, if I am not wrong.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And catching up...

South Africa:
    Average age: 25 years, 10 months, 23 days

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which makes Brazil's roster slightly older:
    Average age: 28 years, 6 months, 23 days

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan is still in the lead with the youngest though!

5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Bad for Adriana, but I'm excited for Luana getting selected for the World Cup. She was consistently brilliant for Avaldsnes over many years.

blissett repped this.
  6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Spain WWC roster
    [​IMG]

7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guijarro made it back in. I presume she'll be used sparingly but from what I've heard of her, she could be a gamechanger even as a sub

blissett repped this.
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain:
    Average age: 25 years, 2 months, 15 days
    WC newbies: 10

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vero Boquete would've upped that a little bit. I know she's been out of the picture for a while but I still wonder if Spain is going to miss her.

Mojo Jambo, blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Yeah it's still insane to me to leave out Boquete, especially on a team without a true #9 that struggles to score. But Vilda really wanted generational change I guess. It's still a strong Spain squad.

Does anyone know the naming conventions for Spain? Some players are listed by their surnames (Torrejon, Losada, Meseguer), some with first initial and surname (even though there's only one of their surname on the roster, like I. Paredes), some with first name and last initial (Lucia G.), and some simply with their first names (Ivana, Amanda, Jenni, Nahikari). Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

blissett repped this.
  11. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they generally use their first names, except when 2 or more players have the same first name, then one of them changes it to a middle or last name.

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've got the feeling that it can get more complicated than that. Brazil-like complicated, to be clear. :laugh:

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    this coach seems to prefer the tiki taka passing of Barca, instead of the dribble, drive style of Vero & Bermudez. He made it clear over two years ago that he's looking for younger players & was letting go veterans. It be hard to fire him since he's got a firm hand on the more successful youth programs as well.

Half his team usually is made out of Barca players even though it's been Athletico Madrid that's beat them for the league title 3 years in a row now. I wanted to check out how many Barca players made it this time, but I agree; the names on the roster are too confusing to follow; I mean, Jenni should be Hermoso, but her real last name is Fuentes, lol, but then they list Caldentey, but who goes usually with the playing name of Mariona/

this was their strongest game of the year, a 2-0 victory against the Dutch(so possibly their starting lineup cept Patri Guijarro was missing)
    Spain vs. Netherlands - 27 February 2019 - Women Soccerway

but keep in mind that thanks to so many Barca starters, their going to be a strong, friendlies team, but that don't always work as during major tournaments as the Lyon dominated, France NT as well has a history of looking good in friendlies but flopping at major tournament time(a other NT's have more time to prepare for them)

Spain should have a bright future though if top youth players like the current 18 year olds Pina & Navarro become adult superstars as well(those two brought Spain last year, the u17 WC title & runners up at u20

soccernutter and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Japan's future should be even brighter, since they have beaten these generations of Spanish players in the finals of both U-17 WWC 2014 and U-20 WWC 2018. ;)

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    if we go everything by youth, then North Korea & Nigeria would be the (senior) World Champions by now! lol. There's probably a different standard by both Asian & Africans on how they bring up their youth/soccer programs.

I've heard that some countries(especially those continents I just mentioned) bring up their youth NT all live under one roof to live, breath soccer 24/7. But then let them go once they hit adulthood.

in the US we got some boarding schools that cater to athletes, but not a lone standing, soccer school. But these schools are expensive(not funded by the govt.) & the athletes aren't hand picked for their abilities.

it's come to the attention that in Japan, that male high school ball is HUGE(many videos like the one below proves that)

but don't know if it's that popular for woso, or for the developement of the youth & senior NT. Rembering how good former youth player, Yoko Tanaka was(or was she just very photo genic? lol) but went bust/or Yokohama, who made arguably, youth soccer's greatest goal of the decade, but looked rather underwhelming in her one year in the Bundesliga(4 goials as Frankfurt's lone striker). shows that being great in youth soccer, doesn't necessarily make you tops senior wise

16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Argentina WWC squad
    [​IMG]

soccernutter repped this.
  17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #92 Lechus7, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Jamaica WWC roster
    [​IMG]

only 22 names...o_O

soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Updated
    [​IMG]

blissett repped this.
  19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, Bunny Shaw didn't make the roster?

20. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Actually she did. It's Khadija "Bunny" Shaw. ;)

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On her college roster page it's listed as Bunny Shaw. Odd.

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    An article that was mentioned on these boards some time ago explains that this is a nickname and how she earned it:
    Another recent article explained how she didn't actually have an easy life in her youth years in Jamaica :unsure:, but I can't seem to retrieve that piece.

soccernutter and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So, apparently the missing player from the previous issue was FW Sade Adomelekun. :coffee: Although her name looks suspiciously similar to MF Olufofalosade Adamolekun. :cautious: Are they really different, or is just a typo and both names refer to the same player. And in that case, who's nominee #23?

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If I am not wrong, at about two weeks from the beginning of the competition, we still miss 6 rosters: Nigeria, China, Italy, Canada, Cameroon and Thailand (almost one per group! Except Group D is actually complete and Group E still misses two teams).

We have a rough idea of Cameroon, Nigeria and Italy anyway, since they published provisional rosters of about 26-27 players (that were posted here). No news from Asia about China and Thailand instead and I am not sure if we know anything more about Canada.

Coach Milena Bertolini said that Italy's roster will be published tommorrow, Friday the 24th of May.

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Official publication by FIFA is 27th of May. Replacement rule after that deadline:

A player listed on the final list may be replaced by a player from the provisional list only in the event of serious injury or illness up until 24 hours before the kick-off of her team’s first match. The replacement shall be nominated by the participating team, who shall inform FIFA accordingly.

The provisional list has up to 50 names. France submitted 50 names so they have 27 potential back-ups in case of injuries.

cpthomas and blissett repped this.