WWC 2015: Group C (JPN, SUI, CMR, ECU) Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by lil_one, Jun 4, 2015.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I find strange is that playing on turf was supposed to be an (slight) advantage for Japan because of the short-pass, possession-style that the play, but instead they are going more long ball and/or chipping the ball then I would expect.

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A good drinking game: a shot each time one of the Fox announcers mentions how gorgeous their studio is.

You'd be hammered by now.

lil_one repped this.
  3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    74' 1-0 Swiss switch to box top wide left, Dickenmann dribbles centerward. To Moser(?) at 19m mid-right, one-touch inside-out pass down box right for a clean overlap. Cross blocked over.

75' 1-0 Swiss right ck to 6-top left post, Yamane comes out and twists toward ball, fumbles it back. Japan clears, Crnogorčević lifts a cross from 5m wide left, Yamane smothers at 3m left post.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    77' 1-0 Dickenmann 1-v-1 on Ariyoshi at 5m box left, drives endline but loses it over.

78' 1-0 Dickenmann chips left foot over box top right to Bachmann at 8m mid-right. Right roundhouse swing-and-whiff, but she reloads at 5m and shoots -- just wide right low? Crnogorčević(?) complains with both hands up at 6-top left post, was wide-open.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80' 1-0 Moser passes down wide right for Aigbogun, stopped 1-v-2 at 10m. Backpass, cross to spot, half-bicycle try fails. Ball rolls out to arc top left, shot high.

81' 1-0 Switzerland subs in (2 of 3) #8 Cinzia Zehnder (17 yrs!!) for #7 Martina Moser.

82' 1-0 Bachmann turns through 1m box right, to mid-right, shoots instead of a cross -- shanks it into the back right corner's support wire. Meh.

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bachmann, pass the ball!

I love Bachmann (great player), but seriously, she tries to do much on her own.

blissett repped this.
  7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    85' 1-0 Miyama serves from 25m mid-right to 15m center, volleyed out. Bachmann turns at circle back, dribbles past 2 and tries a 3rd -- ignores Dickenmann wide-open at circle top wide left, doing 180s with head down -- and loses a shoe and the ball. Dickenmann stalls while Bachmamn sits down at circle top and puts her shoe on ...

87' 1-0 Japan miss a switch left for RB Utsugi, into touch.

87' 1-0 Crnogorčević caught on ball at 22m wide right, Utsugi takes ball off her foot. Japan longball up wide left -- offside :p ALL THIS ROUTE 1

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    88' 1-0 Crnogorčević on the right now, high cross from 20m wide right. Cleared across, Aigbogun now on left, collects at 12m wide left. Closed down 2-v-1, throws somebody aside. Foul. Kawasumi is up!

90' 1-0 Swiss pass from circle right, kicked around.

90' 1-0 Japan subs in (3 of 3) #9 Nahomi Kawasumi for #11 Shinobu Ohno. Kawasumi bows to the field -- no, she's just stretching her calves. +3'.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ai yi yi! What a finish to the game that would have been!

10. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    My goodness! How she miss that?!

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe. But even if Japan didn't win their group, they were better than this. And Bachmania notwithstanding, this is as equally wasteful a Swiss team. Exciting game overall, but not a great advertisement for women's soccer.

12. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Cameroon technically leads the group on goal differential! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Same old Ramona, plenty of quality but play a brainless football.

blissett and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+1' (of +3') 1-0 Bachmann crosses low from box right, behind 1 and before 1.
    90+2' (of +3') 1-0 Dickenmann holds at 12m mid-left, goes down to 5m, 1-v-2. Taps out to Rinast at wide left, one-touch sliced awfully behind endline.

90+2' (of +3') 1-0 Swiss chip over Bachmann to the spot, toward Dickenmann at the left post. Japan slide-volley it out, Bachmann runs on at 14m 6-right -- and half-volleys over.

90+3' (of +3') 1-0 Japan chip to box left foot, Abbé slides late and undercuts Ogimi. Yellow card on Abbé.

FT 1-0. Give both teams enough chances, and they will shoot high.

blissett repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a fantastic start for Japan. They didn't look like defending champions, but despite their lackluster performance, they found a way to come away with the 3 points. Hopefully, they'll improve in the tournament.

So Cameroon leads the group after today based on GD, making each of the games when Cameroon plays Japan and Switzerland suddenly more intriguing.

blissett repped this.
  16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Fox studio is gorgeous :D

17. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So Japan beat Switzerland in a quiet game , I was definitely expecting more from title holder....they did enough to secure a victory and that's about it I don't even remember if they shoot on goal in the second half...yes they could beat Cameroon and Ecuador but I am definitely not impressed ,I don't think they'll be world champion this time.
    The Swiss play in a very unusual, confused way ....Martina Voss tactic to play with Dickenmann and Bachmann as strikers clearly doesn't work as the rest of the team doesn't have the quality necessary to support them. Dickenmann...a strange very exhausted Lara....should drop in the midfield to be more influential, and what to say about Ramona:rolleyes::rolleyes:.....incredible technical abilities , can almost easily passed 2/3 players by herself but still don't understand that she doesn't need to do that every time....it's clear she's not progressing in Sweden, they are not teaching her how to actually play football there in my opinion she needs to go in France or Germany to learn properly....cause at the moment she's still a very raw player , plenty of quality but brainless.

18. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    I really don't see Cameroon taking a point off this Swiss team. That was a solid performance and an even game. Of course I've said for years now that Japan is a far cry from their 2011 form and will likely go out in the quarterfinal, but it was still impressive to see Switzerland achieve parity in midfield against Japan, with 55% to 45% possession!

19. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Switzerland should be a good team going forward.... they need to learn to finish. Sheer inexperience.

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If nothing more this should be a good confidence builder for Cameroon. Don't know how they'll match up, but the group might be more closely contended than expected.

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, no, Romario's gurl, we won't let this happen! :sneaky::laugh:

They hit a post. :whistling: Difficult to do that without shooting... :giggle:

Anyway, I agree that Japan wasn't brilliant. But if we can somehow win the group (not easy vs Cameroon, I know), I expect the team to peak after group stage, as in 2011... That's at least what I hope for. :)

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    True, but I don't see the PK or card. To me, once the Japanese player looses control of the ball, why doesn't Thallman have as much right to that space at the attacker? It did not seem like she extended her challenge, or even brought a knee up. It seemed like the natural continuation of her challenge. It was just as careless for the attacker not to pull out of her run?

Oh well, what's done is done, but I was surprised. I also don't really know how it is not dogso if it is a PK. Distance, direction, number...

Odd call.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...not a knee up, hmm? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  24. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    There was a Swiss defender and Ando might not have been the first to the ball with a clear shot on goal if the GK had missed both the ball and her. It's called DOGSO, not DGSO.

Agreed. Both players slammed into each other, and the Swiss GK had the last touch. Nothing bad about the knee up either, that's what happens when you jump and it's also kind of necessary for goalkeepers to protect themselves. For what it's worth, this is what someone over in the referee forum had to say:

Bottom line: lucky call for Japan that got them 2 points.

Soccerglue repped this.
  25. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    As soon as they saw the tip on the replay, the announcers on my feed implied no foul.

Soccerglue repped this.