WTF happened

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Holland in 06, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Holland in 06

Holland in 06 New Member

May 13, 2003
    Why didn't you guys qualify for Euro 2004? I really miss watching your team and you guys would be much more enjoyable then Switzerland and Russia.

2. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't qualify because they win enough games, that is how qualifying works. Maybe they shouldn't have fired that coach that sent home Keane that now coaches Sunderland, McCarthy I think.

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We got off to a very bad start to qualifying losing 4-2 in Russia and then losing 2-1 to Switzerland to a late Swiss goal. A few influential players like Staunton and Quinn retired after the World Cup and McCarthy was not prepared enough. Some bizzare selections and tactics such as going gung-ho for the win against Switzerland which lead to the late Swiss goal cost him his job.
    Then Kerr came along and then did seem to be going right until they came out flat in the final qualifying game against Switzerland when I think a draw would have been enough to qualify but ended up losing 2-0 to two bad defensive errors.
    Thats it in a nutshell but we have high hopes for World Cup qualifying despite drawing France in our group.

4. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    Although our team has improved since we lost in Basle the worrying thing for us is that Switzerland and Russia have been two of the poorest teams in Portugal. After 4 matches they haven't even managed a goal between them.

5. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Yeah, because we hammered Switzerland and Russia with him in charge....

It was just a bad campaign overall, I think with the players we have it wont happen again, or at least I hope that's the case anyway...

6. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    mick mc carthy happened,unfortunately.... :mad:

7. Silvio Dante

Silvio Dante Red Card

May 22, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    With respect you don't know what you are saying. McCarthy was didastrous considering he sent home his best player(Keane) and never played his most effective attacking force(Duff) in his bestposition.

Thank God he is but a distant memory and Keane is back where he belongs...

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    So how'd Ireland qualify for the WC '02 Finals (and the qualifiers in every complete campaign of which McCarthy was in charge) then?

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah - nursing another injury.

I know this may be blasphemy to some of the Roy Keane buttkissers on here, but as great a player as Keano's been for ManU, he's been spotty at best lately in the green jersey. He treats the national team like it's a local side that he can dismiss at will. When he gets the Fergie radio transmitter out of his SS, maybe he'll realize what he's missed.

10. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Er, Samarkand, unless I've misread your post, are you implying we qualifyed for Euro 2000?

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I can't speak for Russia, but in our case we played a lot better in qualifying than we're showing now (esp. up front)...

With Zidane retiring this could be a very interesting group.

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    :) D'oh! Playoffs, not qualifiers........

13. Silvio Dante

Silvio Dante Red Card

May 22, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Stick to Baseball bud. You might actually know something about what you are on about there....:rolleyes:

14. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    well good luck against France today, obviously a game of huge interest to Ireland.

and at least Russia won 2-1 last night to take the bad look off our qualifying group!

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Nevermind.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    OK, boy genius. Tell us how much better off Ireland would've been in WC '02 with His Highness' presence? This dream sequence should be hilarious.

17. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Are you serious?

18. Silvio Dante

Silvio Dante Red Card

May 22, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    No probs bud. it goes something like this:

forgive me from the outset as in my dream McCarthy is fatally hit by one of those Far Eastern viruses that renders its victim deaf and dumb for the next 3 weeks.

Seeing how 'poor' mick is unable to carry out his duties the FAI bring in Brian Kerr to take over the team. His first act is to charter a jet to Manchester to pick up the great man and bring him back to the fold. Once Roy returns the moral cowards among the senior squad members know that this fella Kerr will take no **************** and get down the the real reason they are there. To play football for their country, rather than bask in the glory of simply being there.

Now this is where the dream goes way out into space. Kerr has the audacity to play his best players in their best positions ! ! This effectively means that the most exciting left sided attacking midfielder in the English Premiership(Damian Duff) actually gets to play in that position rather than up front as a 5ft 5in target man...;)

Of course the other radical decision is to play the greatest Irish midfielder of his generation(ROY KEANE) in the heart of the midfield scaring the ******** out of Gary breen on a regular basis but more importantly his presence there gives the likes of Duff the confidence to go on all out attack safe in the knowledge that someone of Roy's pedigree is there to mop up any mistakes they make.

At this point where Ireland and Cameroon face up to eachother in their first match of the tournament the dream ends but you can work the rest out for yourself....;)

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA

not too bad. where's the part about Keano flying home after someone forgot to place the little chocolates on his pillow in the hotel?

his best days for ireland are behind him. time to move on.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Now, that's funny. :)

21. Silvio Dante

Silvio Dante Red Card

May 22, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    It justs hows the class of the man that eventhough his best days are indeed behind him he's still a giant in out midfield.

Try and get you hands on a video of the Romania game and you'll see for yourself....

22. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    first up,since he's only played one game after comeing out of retirement,i believe it's somewhat premature to say time to move on,wait until after the wc2006 qualifers and then asses his performances.

secondly who do you think we should move on too?