Wrap up thoughts from both conventions

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Nutmeg, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, you made money.

But that doesn't have jacksh*t to deal with who wins in November. If I bet on a team that's a 10-point favorite, it doesn't mean they are likely to win. It just means more people are betting on them to win. InTrade's the same way. We have no way to tell the makeup of who is placing the bets on InTrade as well. So if it's Obama 55/45 with two-thirds of those placing bets being Democrats, that's different than Obama 55/45 with a 50-50 partisan split on the people betting, but we don't know the makeup of who is betting. Also, partisans inflate the numbers based on emotion and who the person wants to win instead of reality. Even if a person thinks his team is going to lose in football, sometimes they place a bet on blind faith in the hopes their team wins. This occurs on InTrade as well, and was definitely seen in the primaries.

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you know what you're talking about, you don't order it straight up, you order it neat.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is interesting about MSNBC dropping those guys is that the ratings were great. Since alot of those around here who defend media bias that I see by saying, hey, it's all about the ratings, how could that possibly be? :rolleyes: :mad:

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Like always.

He/they bring it out whenever they want. It's completely detached from reality.

Bunch of little, prissy bitches that insistently pull out the librul media bias card whenever they are getting hammered b/c of faulty logic, stupidity, etc.

There's nothing wrong w/ being conservative. I love dialogue. It's good for democracy. Intelligence in the opposition garners nothing but respect, and we are all better for it.

Stupidity, on the other hand... drives me nuts and I simply cannot respect it. And not surprisingly, it's awful to base foreign and domestic policy on stupidity. See: Bush Jr.

Therefore, I cannot respect a party that is, essentially, idiot-mongering.

7. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the execs feel that an increase in MSNBC's ratings were not worth a decrease in big NBC's:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/business/media/08msnbc.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&em

8. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't run a regression model or anything, it's just the impression I got from reading the NYT article.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The impression I got was that alot of NBC people were going "back channel" about how they, personally, didn't like the MSNBC coverage. IOW, it reads like this was a move to placate Brokaw and Williams and co., not Nielsen.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If you are talking about the party that voted for the war,Patriot Act, farm subsidy bill, FISA and raised subsidies for oil companies I agree with you.

13. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Dems have been far too compliant. Here's hoping they can roll back that shit once they finally have power.

14. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was likely done for ratings (MSNBC finished last in Convention coverage) among cable news networks and likely done because News Execs could no longer excuse the blatant partisan nature Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews approached the news... Comments like "get a shovel" toward someone exercising an opinion differing from Olbermann clearly define the unabashed liberal nature of their broadcast; so much so that even liberal News Execs wondered whether Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews worked for MSNBC or the Obama campaign. I don't think placating Brokaw or Williams is that important to MSNBC due to their poor ratings...

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really should watch Bob Roberts. The scene with John Cusack on the faux-SNL show especially.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I watched MSNBC for the conventions because I thought it would present a liberal viewpoint on them, which it did. I'm also glad that, unlike Fox news, they don't claim to be impartial, and thus, they don't insult my intelligence.

17. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lack that much confidence in your POV that you need it reinforced by a network?

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Yes matt, I do. I'm really that stupid and insecure.

If you don't believe that objectivity is possible, which I don't, then at least I can watch MSNBC and sit there and go "yeah! that's right! uh-huh, you go, tell him!" which at least provides a little more entertainment than the fox news propaganda or the elitist status quo entertainment of CNN and the networks.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great? They were dead last.

Superdave, do you think the LA Galaxy's record this year is great?

:D

20. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could always watch PBS and learn something.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but they weren't a BAD last. By MSNBC standards, that's great.

I think the relevant analogy might be the 2006 Chivas USA team that Bob Bradley coached. They were bad, but that was a big improvement over "historically bad."

Or let's put it another way...is the best way for the Galaxy to improve for them to replace their good players (Buddle, Donovan, Goldenballs) or to replace their bad players (everyone else)?

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True. They are like Venezuela in South America. They won't make the WC, but at least now they are winning a few games.

23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You're a better person than me.

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Considering the same people donate to both sides of the aisle I am not sure anyone will roll anything back. I just do not see a difference between the oil/bank with respect to insurance/pharm party and the insurance/pharm with respect to oil/bank party.

25. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You could let a person watch what he wants to watch and let him enjoy and describe why he enjoys it.