WPSL West Conference 2006 Season Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by cristoforo7, May 18, 2006.

1. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I just got back from watching San Diego take over sole possession of first place in the WPSL West with a 2-1 victory over the Storm on second half goals scored by Zhang Ouying and Jen Nielsen. :cool:

2. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Storm vs Sea Lion game [R]

With a scoreless first half, we thought for a while that the teams would end up with a second 0-0 game. Both teams had chances in that first half, but neither could capitalize. San Diego had the better chances, and I think that Danica Carey's shot from the top of the box was the best one, but she hit it several feet over the bar. There were some shots on goal that the Storm keeper did a good job getting in front of.

Ouying was able to get the scoring going in the 3rd minute of the second half - a ball lifted over the defensive back line allowed her to get to the ball just before the keeper, and she was able to tip it up and over her for the goal.

About 9 minutes later the Storm were able to tie it up. Things started out with a botched endline call by an assistant ref who got caught 5 yards from the endline when a Storm player touched it - but was able to play it back to another California forward when no call was made. The Storm kept the ball in the box, and finally a low shot was taken that went past 5-6 players before it hit inside the far post. Lu was screened on the shot and had no time to react.

Play was fairly even for the next 10 minutes with both sides getting chances but the Storm chances were actually better during that period. But in the 73rd minute Jen Lalor-Nielsen was sent in on a semi-breakaway and was able lift a fairly long shot up over the keeper and just below the crossbar as 2 defenders were catching up with her.

That 2-1 score looked shaky for much of the rest of the game, as SD seemed to get a bit too defensive and at the same time California was pressing forward and keeping control of the ball in the SD half of the field. But none of their good chances were put on net, either going wide or over the top.

It appears now that the 2 make-up games between SD and Ajax will determine who will end up on top..

3. pacmaam

pacmaam New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Ajax vs. Sacramento Pride

Ajax beat Sacramento 5-0 today. Nice goals from a bunch of players, including two corner kick tallies off headers. Jessica Edwards scored, as did Myisha Delaney and Liz Bogus. Don't know the names of the other players, but will try to find out.

A good weekend for Ajax.

Props to the Pride goalie who made an awesome flying save in the second half. And the Ajax goalie was totally on it, though she wasn't tested much. The Ajax defense if solid.

4. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Re: Ajax vs. Sacramento Pride

Sol beat the Tabagators in Las Vegas, 3-1, giving the Sol a 7-3-1 record and 22 points.

Remaining games for Sol are away at the Power on Sunday July 9, away at the Pride on Saturday July 15 and home versus the Storm on Sunday July 16.

5. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

Question about the tiebreaking procedure. This is what the WPSL's website says:

I would think the first tiebreaker would be head-to-head points, regardless of head-to-head goal difference.

If two teams play each other once or twice (as in the West), the distinction doesn't matter.

But if two teams play each other three or more times, the "head to head goal difference" tie breaker could conflict with the "head to head points" numbers. For example, in a three game series, team A beats team B 5-0 in game 1, but team B wins the next two games 1-0 and 1-0. According to the tie breaker as quoted above, team A gets the playoff spot.

I thought that in some other divisions, some teams play each other more than twice, but maybe I am wrong about that and it's all a moot point.

6. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a decision and announcement on when the two games with the Sea Lions are to be played. I would have thought that single weekday games would have to be played during these next two weeks.

7. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

The Sea Lions, Storm and Ajax all control their destinies in terms of taking one of the two playoff spots.

Sea Lions get a playoff spot by going (W-T-L) 3-0-1 or 3-1-0 or 4-0-0.

Ajax get a playoff spot by going 4-2-0, 5-1-0, 5-0-1 or 6-0-0.

Storm get a playoff spot by going 4-0-0.

The Sol need to go 3-0-0 and get a bit of help from the results in other games.

The Power are still alive mathematically, but it would take a 4-0-0 record (all home games against the four teams above them in the standings) plus an astounding set of results in other games for them to have a chance at making the playoffs.

The Power certainly could play the role of spoiler with those four home games, as so far they are undefeated and untied at home this season with a +10 goal differential (albeit against the three teams at the lower end of the standings)

8. pacmaam

pacmaam New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Cristoforo7, are you talking about the remaining games?

9. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Yes, my read of the schedule is that Ajax has 6 games yet unplayed, the Sea Lions, Storm and Power have 4 each remaining, and the Sol have 3.

The W-T-L numbers I posted for the Sea Lions, Storm and Ajax are the numbers that guarantee them a playoff spot. Any given team could do worse than what I posted and still make it, but that would depend on the results of games not involving that team.

10. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    WPSL West Playoff

Will the club that finishes first in the WPSL West host a playoff match against the club that finishes second in the West? Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just took a quick look at the WPSL site and wasn't able to find any details about a WPSL West playoff.

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Re: WPSL West Playoff

The first place team in the West proceeds directly to the semifinals of the national championship. This is the only team that does not have to go through at least one playoff match to make the "Final Four."

In the East, there is a four-team playoff, the winner of which goes to the semifinals.

The winner of the South plays the winner of the Midwest for a third spot in the semifinals.

The second place team in the West plays the winner of the three-team Southwest Conference for the fourth place in the semifinals.

http://www.wpsl.info/championship2006/

12. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    WPSL Playoffs

Thanks so much for posting all of this playoff information. I just went back to the WPSL site and found the link that you posted right above the standings and the link to the Brandi Chastain interview done by our local channel 10 news last year on the 4th of July.

13. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Just out of curiosity, do you know if the West Conference runner-up would get to host this playoff match? Also do you know if this playoff would be scheduled during the weekend of July 22-23? Thanks!

14. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

No, West conference runner up does not get to host. They have to travel to Denver or Utah for 7/23 game, then if they win travel to Utah again for the games on 7/28 and 7/30. Lots of travel.

15. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Thanks for clearing that up cristoforo7. So I guess that means that for those of us in San Diego our last chance to see the SeaLions play at home will be whenever they play the makeup match against Ajax.

16. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

If the playoff game does end up being in Utah, I wonder if any of the WPSL West clubs still in contention have the budget to just stay there 3-4 extra days and be a lot more rested for the start of the playoffs?

17. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    WPSL Fever - Catch It!!

I just got in awhile ago and have checked the WPSL site several times and keep getting the following message:

"The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments."

Could the WPSL site actually be too busy?!?! ;)

So who is playing this weekend in the West? All I know is that the SeaLions were supposed to play Ajax twice this weekend, but those matches have been postponed.

18. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Re: WPSL Fever - Catch It!!

The WPSL site is still "unavailable" and I can't access the San Diego WFC site either:

"The server at www.sealionsoccer.com is taking too long to respond."

:mad:

19. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Re: WPSL Fever - Catch It!!

It's working now and today's West scores are up:

Pride 0 Ajax 3

Power 1 Storm 5

With goal difference the second tiebreaker, the Storm and Ajax have really been pouring it on the teams in the lower half of the standings.

20. pacmaam

pacmaam New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Tonight's game between the Storm and Ajax should be a good one. If any one out there is going, please give the rest of us out here in cyberspace an early report!

21. pacmaam

pacmaam New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Two things: I just looked at the WPSL results pages and am a happy soccer fan! I had not seen this before, and it gives a very nice wrap up of games. Thank you thank you thank you!

I also came across this story from June in the Sacramento Bee, and thought others might find it interesting.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14272812p-15083062c.html

22. pacmaam

pacmaam New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Ajax beat Storm, 3-2. Don't know any details.

23. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Thanks for posting the result. I just got back awhile ago from Little Italy in San Diego where the victory celebration was still going strong so I'll leave the analysis of the playoff implications of this result to our friend cristoforo7. ;)

FORZA ITALIA!!

24. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, Ajax has taken the lead with 27 points. They and the Sea Lions have played 10 games, with SDWFC having 25 points.

The Storm also have 25 points, but have played 12 games now. The Sol have 22 points and have played 11 games.

Records:
    Ajax 9-1-0
    SDWFC 8-1-1
    Storm 8-3-1
    Sol 7-3-1

Max possible points for each team: 39 Ajax, 37 SD, 31 Storm & Sol.

Ajax plays the Nighthawks & Power, along with the Sea Lions twice.

The Sea Lions play the Power & Nighthawks, along with Ajax twice.

The Storm play Las Vegas and the Sol

The Sol play the Power, the Pride and the Storm.

25. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Thanks for helping to clear up the WPSL West playoff picture Tsunami. After this weekend's results it looks like the WFC can now clinch a playoff spot by going 2-1-1 in their final four matches.