WPSL vs. W-League

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by mace, May 13, 2008.

1. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi,

I'm new to the women's soccer scene and was wondering what the difference is between the WPSL and W-League USL. Which league is "higher"? I know that in 2009 the WPS will start up which should be the equivalent of MLS for women (top league in USA).

I've done a bit of searching on the web... but both the WPSL and W-League USL seem like regional leagues and very similar.

Thanks for any info or links,

Mace

2. kinetica

kinetica New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Mace-being from Indiana you could see one of the best non-proffesional teams in women's soccer. FC Indiana is very talented and enjoyable to watch. The website is www.fcindiana.com. First league game for them is next week in Indy. Then they play Sunday in Lafayette. If you get a chance catch a game. My daughters love to go watch.

4. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh, the soccer pyramid. That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Mace

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contrary to what the "pyramid" shows, I think both leagues are on the same level. At one point the WPSL was primarily on the west coast. However, today they have a national foot print. To provide some background the WPSL started when some west coast clubs left the W-League and started their own league. Both leagues have some good teams and also a number of weaker teams. The WPSL similar to the NPSL give more authority to the various conferenses. For example it's up to these conferences to determine how many games they will play and their playoff formatt. On the playing field I think the top teams are rather similar in level of play.

6. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    I would disagree. The top two teams in the WPSL have either moved to the W-league or folded. Would that ever happen with the W-league?

The worst teams in W-league, yes = the WPSL worst teams. But the best overall league is the W-league.

7. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see how FC Indiana does now that they're in the W-League instead of the WPSL.

8. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i doubt that the W-League's top teams would jump to the WPSL, but the Cocoa Expos did take the jump this year.
    http://www.cocoaexposoccer.com/Stories/index_wl.php#_2008_04_02

i guess a club jumping to the WPSL would have a lot to do with finances, and proximity to other clubs. The WPSL has a lower franchise fee and operating costs, but the W-League has more stability. The turnover in clubs from year to year is much less.

9. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Someone mentioned that the San Diego Sunwaves, last year's Western Conference regular season champion, did much the same thing.

10. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Wednesday night FC Indiana home opener v. Michigan Hawks. Will that be a solid challenge to see how FCI will compete this year?

Last Friday was a 2-0 victory over Kalamazoo.

11. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be. Last year the Hawks finished second in their division, then lost to the Atlanta Silverbacks in the Central Conference playoffs. The Silverbacks won two more playoff matches before falling to the Freedom in the final.

12. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Indiana were given permission by the USL to pay their players this year. Just extra beer money, from what the FCI website says. I'd guess it's a precursor to them being a developmental (or reserve) squad to Chicago's WPS team next season. So, FCI has the added advantage of being the W-League's only pro side.

13. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    From what I heard players were signing 2 year contracts, no doubt egged on by the fact that the team is well connected to the WPS team and for the added bonus of that extra beer money. The only thing that stood out to me though in hearing that, is that Indiana would hold their rights for the following year, and if they didn't end up catching on with the Chicago WPS team then they would be back to Indiana FC when presumably they would want to play WPS, but wouldn't have the chance to try for/get drafted to other teams? I'm thinking in terms of NHL/AHL which presumably is the same thing (you sign to an organization and you are stuck in that system until your contract runs out.)

With no agents for most likely all of the players, and the WPS link being held in front of their face as a carrot and the added prestige of being "pro", I am thinking players might have been blinded to the long term disadvantage to taking that route.

Will be interested to follow the team this season.

14. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I only began watching FCI last year. My daughters are training with FCI personel at the Lafayette facility, so I am sure there are things that I am blind to. I have been very impressed with their proffesionalism and the way they treat people.

They allowed Luckenbill to go work out with the WNT and miss most of their pre-season program. I would hope that if one of the players were to be drafted by one of the other teams and not Chicago they would let them go.

I would think that if someone had a chance to get that close to one of the new teams they would take a chance. How many open spots will be left with Washington and Boston? If a player had a chance to get into a system or take a chance on the open market you would have to weigh your options.

Women's soccer is now becoming a business also and a team would have to look out for their best interest. If the Chicago franchise is trying to start a "farm system" and a true club atmosphere then they are on the right steps.

Just my two cents. And for the record I am not a soccer guy. Never played the game but have come to enjoy it very much through my daughters who hope to play for a long time.

15. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A two-year contract IS a contract, after all. If a player can't make it with Chicago, then she will have a guaranteed place to play in 2009. And i'm going to assume that a contract signed this spring will end in August 2009 after the W-League playoffs. That's essentially a 1 1/2 year contract that will end in time for the European season. So it's not that bad of a deal for the players.

16. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I would think that some players would do whatever they could to play this year. If you were in the W-League playoffs that would put you in front of more scouts. At least I would think so.

17. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the fcindiana.com web site the team is entertaining the thought of joining the WPS in the future, with the home stadium being a renovated Kuntz stadium in Indianapolis. I suppose they would have to break their ties with the Chicago team if that were to happen. Of course, a move like that would be several years out.

As far as players' futures, several have stated as a goal that they want to play in the WPS next year.

Mace

18. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    After talking to a couple of players Sunday I got the impression that FCI may be looking at the jump sooner than later. I don't think it can be made by 2009 season. I would love to see them join WPS, but the stadium would be the biggest obstacle I would see at this time.

19. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    What kind of fan support is there?

20. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Support was better Sunday in Lafayette than it was in Indy. I think with the academy in Lafayette they get more response from younger players.

21. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. MU11

MU11 New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Great stuff, BB... after working in the W-League for many years and witnessing first hand the way they like to operate (not the color of grass but money), I've been inclined to the "under-dog" WPSL for some time now - but it still makes me laugh (but yet, quite frustrated at times) to hear some of these people go on and on about which one is better, etc. and blah-blah... plus the apparent viciousness, borderline classless-ness (if that's a word) and lack of insight...

Great teams in both leagues - glorified town rec teams in both leagues... FCI and Ajax (with essentially the same starters) split in their two big games last year, the WPSL Semi (ending in PK's) and the Open Cup Final... the ONLY thing is resources as the W-League has the USL structure to fall back and rely upon...

23. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you completely. I've know groups in both leagues and like you mentioned each have some good teams / organizations and both some groups that shouldn't be running a soccer team/franchise. I think a lot of the issues stem from the more or less a broken family. The WPSL started because most of the west coast left their relationship with USL. The kids always get hurt in a messy divorce. :D

24. MU11

MU11 New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Great analogy!! And oh, what will the W-L kids think of this... looks like that "rebel" league is at it again! Subverting at all costs... hey now, sorry for the sarcasm!

But seriously, it looks like the WPS is doing the RIGHT THING: one, they're trying to ameliorate between the two leagues; and two, get a real go-getter (with his large youth soccer base & connections) to help form the new Philly team... no matter if its W-L or WPSL...

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid2922.aspx

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid2884.aspx

25. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting information. Thanks for the additional info! It seems my confusion on the difference between the leagues was caused because the leagues have a lot of similarities. It is interesting that the Chicago franchise has partnered with both W-League and WPSL teams.

Mace