WPSL forms Elite Women's Soccer League

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by MRAD12, Feb 9, 2012.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Maryland Capitols have applied. Since they're the closest top-level women's club team to me, I'm hoping it's them. I'm wondering about Sky Blue, though - any word on their plans?

2. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems like a sensible decision. And you know I'll be there, regardless!

3. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    8th team announced: Philadelphia Fever. Games will be split between the Philadelphia, PA and Atlantic City, NJ areas.

http://www.prlog.org/11801875-philadelphia-fever-joins-new-wpsl-elite-league.html

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, from north to south, we have:

Western New York Flash
    Aztec MA
    Boston Breakers
    New England Mutiny
    Chicago Red Stars
    FC Indiana
    Philadelphia Fever
    ASA Chesapeake Charge

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ....I'm slow; which is the other amateur club?

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like that

So we have

3 Boston area teams
    1 Philly/NJ
    1 Maryland, not sure how far from DC
    1 Rochester area
    1 Indianapolis area
    1 Chicago area

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea. Except for WNY and Boston, they were all amateur last year. The press release about the Mutiny ("owner Joe Ferrara is enthusiastic about the opportunity to match his team up against professional-level competition") implies that they're the other one, but isn't explicit and could be otherwise interpreted.

8. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Charge play about 30 miles from the White House and about 20 miles from downtown Baltimore. Last year they were an amateur team with a lot of college athletes, with a few exceptions like Emily Janss and Kelly Hammond. I don't know what their plans are this year, though.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The New England Mutiny have just accepted an invitation to become one of the eight (8) franchises in a newly formed league. The Mutiny will join three (3) former WPS teams: Western New York Flash, the Boston Breakers and the Chicago Red Stars. The other teams who have committed are the ASA Chesapeake Charge, Aztec MA (formerly Boston Aztec) and F.C. Indiana - all from the WPSL. The Indiana-based side defeated the Mutiny in the WPSL National Semifinals in 2005 and National Final in 2007.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just emailed the Mutiny in order to let them know that their press release seems to be a missing a team...

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably did not know who the 8th team would be when they sent the E-mail.

13. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    FYI, the WPSL corrected their Philadelphia Fever press release. They misspoke when they said that Morgan, O'Reilly, and Cheney would be playing in the WPSL Elite league.

I wonder a bit about Philadelphia. Their parent organization, Atlantic Soccer Factory, appears to be starting up 4 new teams this year: Philadelphia Fever (WPSL Elite), Philadelphia Fury (U.S. Club Soccer’s National Adult League), Philadelphia Flash (USCS-NAL), and South Jersey Arch Angels (WPSL). In addition, they already run a 5th team, the AC Crusaders (NPSL). That seems like a lot. I know that there is economy of scale, but I worry that they might be stretching themselves thin.

The Fever posted on Twitter saying where their games would be played, but the posts have since been deleted. I'm not sure if the information is correct, so I won't mention the exact location. Of the two teams mentioned in the press release as ones the Fever would play double-headers with, the AC Crusaders play at Egg Harbor Township H.S., in Egg Harbor Township, NJ and the Philadelphia Fury will play at Daniel Boone Area H.S., in Birdsboro, PA.

14. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    So who will be named the head coach of the new Philadelphia team?

15. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    anyone know the starting date of the league?

16. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm figuring it will be mid-May just like the regular WPSL schedule. Either May 12 or May 19 (both Saturdays) would be my guess.

17. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Approximate map of the WPSL Elite league:
    [​IMG]

18. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On wikipedia the Elite League will add a possible West coast conference in 2013.

Confirmed teams for 2012

[edit] Committed cities for 2013

Expected team(s) in parentheses

[edit] Further candidate cities

• Phoenix
    • Houston
    • Dallas

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just FYI, none of the articles cited say anything's set in stone, just that they have *some* west coast cities committed but no teams officially stated, just guesses from past information. I should know - I've added the majority of the information on that particular page. ^.^'' It's really scary, I've seen three references to that wiki page in the past two or so days, and the only information I'm going on is from articles I've seen posted around BigSoccer.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like we have achieved circular reference.

21. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    good point hopefully it does come true and some how the elite league is able to become a stable league like MLS but i wont hold my breath.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yep.
    And that's what's scary, I've never had this "people citing Wikipedia in discussion" happen before on any other wiki articles I've worked on.

FWIW, the nice thing about working on wiki articles like that is that they're really good places to collect information as opposed to just report it. I think each of the articles I've cited on the WPSL EL page came from a different thread here.

23. danjacks10

danjacks10 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  25. StarCityFan