WPSL Eastern Division

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by SueB, Mar 4, 2003.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    According to this thread at usldiscussions.com,

http://www.usldiscussions.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000192;p=3

there will be an eastern division in 2003 - this season - in the WPSL. Apparently, the USASA has voted to recognize the league as a national league rather than a regional league, opening the door for the new division.

Only team sort of confirmed to be taking part is the former W-League team, Maryland Pride. The league is not mentioned on the team site www.marylandpride.com , but they are definitely not in the W-League, and they are having tryouts soon for 2003. Rumor has it that the other teams will be from Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island (the Rays are not in the W-League this year), and Connecticut.

Above thread says an official announcement will be made Mar 15.

2. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPSL originally started by the coach of the old W-League's San Diego franchise. Was upset with the league for the league fees and the fact that they had travelled across the country for the Championships three years in a row without any thought from the league to move the championships out there (back in the day the W-League held a weekend long round robin tournament to decide which teams made the championship game). Last years Championships in Vancouver were the first time a Western team hosted.

Maryland just couldn't make the W-League's financial thresholds this year. So makes sense that they would jump on board the WPSL. Maryland has always had a competitive team on the field.

I have also heard that Springfield Sirens are thinking about joining the league also. Only if their problems with internal ownership are resolved.

Until the WPSL becomes more organized I don't think they will compete against the W-League (didn't one of the teams not show up for the championship game last year?). But, if it is only a matter of financials, and teams start fleeing the W-League, they may be able to build up a strong league. If that happens, the same issues will be a concern for the teams: revenue from games - costs of running team = empty pockets. Most teams have been able to move away from any air travel. This new East Coast division for the WPSL has the same problems that exist for the W-League teams. Team travel.

Until teams start making money either at the gate, through camps and training (like Long Island , Boston, etc.) teams will come and go because ownership won't want to continue losing money.

Could the WPSL be moving towards an official affiliation with the WUSA? (the W-League has no affiliation with the league or any clubs. Nothing could be agreed upon between the two leagues last year because of the amateur status of the college players on W-League rosters)

3. I'm sure this would take forever and a half to do, but to keep the WPSL and W-League (both Div. II leagues from what I understand) from competing against eachother, as mentioned in El Gatos post, I wonder what it would take to reorganize one league as a D II league and the other a D III league (probably WL and WPSL respectively). Maybe have whichever the DIII winds up being kind of take the form of the current WL, but with lower franchise fees (i.e., open status), and have the DII league be more professional, but with much lower payroll than WUSA teams.

I'm glad both leagues are nationalizing, but it stinks to see them compete against eachother.

4. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I think would work is the WPSL on the West Coast, W-League on the East Coast and come together for a championship game at the end of the season.

The ultimate problem is teams are leaving the W-League for the WPSL for a reason. And without further information, I have to believe it is about financials, specifically the cost of running a team within the USL.

5. Interesting press release about the new Eastern Division. Some other teams seem to be confirmed, including not the Springfield Sirens, per se, but another Western Mass team (maybe just a name change, though? I don't know).

http://www.wpsl.info/news/03_0314.html

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Whether it's a name change or a new organization, "Mutiny" seems like an appropriate name either way. :)

7. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    New York Vendaval?

I think that ranks up there with:

St. Louis Screw
    Cincinnati Kids
    Memphis Survivors
    Kansas City Wiz
    New Jersey Lady Stallions

as the worst names of all time.

What the h-e-double poles is a Vendaval??????

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    My guess was that it was an ethnic club name, and that appears to be the case. I assume this team is the same as, or at least an offshoot of, CD (Club Deportivo) Vendaval:

www.cdvendaval.com

According to a translator I plugged it into, "vendaval" is the Spanish word for "gale".

9. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Thanks, SueB. You are a honey.

(cue the catcalls and boos ... but I just had to say it)

Looks like the Vendaval could also loosely translate to Tornado or Hurricane.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT