Would you vote for this candidate?

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Matrim55, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Income taxes:
    • The 47% of Americans who paid no income tax now pay 1%.
    • Individuals who makes more than $200k per year, or any family that makes more than $250k per year see their rate climb from 35% to 38%.
    • Individuals who make more than $500k per year, or any family that makes more than $600k sees their rate climb from 35% to 42%

Capital Gains Tax:
    • Taxed at the same rate as income, except for families who make less than $100k or individuals who make less than $75k. They will pay a 10% tax on capital gains.

Corporate Tax:
    • Corporate tax rate is lowered from 35% to 30%. All corporate loopholes, however, are closed.

Social Security:
    • The payroll tax cap (currently $106k) is lifted
    • Reduce social security benefits for those with incomes in the top 30%.
    • Raise the social security retirement age to 68

Estate Tax:
    • Exempt first $1 million from taxation. Anything above that is taxed at 50%

Glass-Steagall
    • Re-enact the Banking Act of 1933 en toto

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission
    • Comprehensive plan to fight the ruling, by hook or by crook

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you anti marriage with regards to your capital gains tax proposal?

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds good to me. But you probably suckered me and will now tell me that's from Bachmann's policy statements.

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not anti-marriage. The cap for capital gains taxation breaking into "normal" brackets is 33% higher for families than it is for individuals. Compare that to income tax brackets - those are set at 25% and 20%. If anything, the proposal favors married couples.

Math is hard.

Anyway, would the capital gains tax as suggested here be a deal-breaker for you?

Hah. No, this just happens to be the plan I talked my (incredibly right wing) family into over dinner yesterday.

Their biggest right-wing issues: Everyone has to pay some sort of income tax, even if it's 1%; and the corporate tax rate needs to be lowered.

I was willing to give on both of those, provided we close the corporate tax loopholes that companies like GE have exploited.

We'll also have to allow some hydrofracking in the Dakotas and Appalachia, but in return for that I got $500 billion to implement a WPA-style wind power project through, mostly targeted for the heartland and offshore.

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Make the cap $150K for families and we are in business

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So your relatives want to risk my drinking water so that hicks and the Kennedys can have renewable energy?

Tell them they need to give me something in return.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Do they not realize:

1) They're not paying any federal income taxes on their income up to a certain level either?

2) Even those paying no federal income taxes pay other taxes, including payroll taxes?

This is such a pathetic, wingnut bogeyman issue.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I would not! I mean what if he is nuts on foreign policy?

Well it is your state that wants the fracking, So I guess you get more State taxes to buy cleaner water.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I would love to get rid of the Child credit, why should people with out children be punished for not wanting to over populate the world.

Also get rid of the home interest income deduction, why punish people that want to rent? Renting allows for a more mobile work force that can move readily to where jobs are more available.

PS, just letting the Bush/Obama tax cuts expire is good for me. That alone will bring about 600+ Million.

10. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too much. Either I'll go to $125k at 10%, or everything from $100k to $150k gets taxed at 17%.

Long-term, they'll be giving you all the renewable energy you can use and plenty of jobs to clean up the environmental mess caused by the fracking. I can also guarantee that at least one wind turbine plant will be in your home region, and we'll make sure that Appalachia are used as a testing ground for some of the "schooling fish" wind farms:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/schooling-fish-offer-new-ideas-for-wind-farming

Short-term, they'll be giving you and your hick neighbors tens of thousands of high-paying, union jobs.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If 1% buys happiness for the wingnuts, I'm all for tossing them the 1% bone.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They understood both those things. But were unmoved.

I'm willing to get them their 1% tax on the poor in order to avoid a VAT and to secure their votes not only for rolling back the Bush tax cuts, but actually increasing taxes on those in the highest brackets.

I didn't think to bring that up, but I guarantee it wouldn't have been worth the fight.

Again, I didn't bring this one up, but there's no way they would have gone for it.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It won't. They'll just want something else.

14. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if a candidate was able to get all of the above through, but had to make the 1% concession, would you not vote for him/her?

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Would I vote for this candidate? No, not based on these answers which show a complete lack of understanding of the issue. Who is the candidate?

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Only if the rates are low. Is the candidate proposing a 15% flat tax? Or are they proposing we tax capital gains at 28% or 35% (or God forbide 39%)?

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Would I vote for this candidate? No.

Why should an estate be taxed at a higher rate simply because someone is dead?

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ACtually, my state's governor, and the Republican dominated legislature, isn't planning on taxing natural gas extraction. They're letting local communities consider it.. that way, Philadelphia can't benefit.

That's not their stated plan, but it sure looks like it.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why do you approve of handouts?

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Can you be a little clearer? What do you mean?

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A estate is a handout that comes from daddy rather than the government.

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is apples and land mines here.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    No it isn't. But it comes as no surprise that you've boiled it down to one sentance of stupidity. TBH, I feel silly for thinking you might have had a point worth discussing.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I guess you're for a halfway meritocracy.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Huh? Perhaps if you could explain "halfway meritocracy" and how it applies to taxing an estate when someone dies I could decide whether or not I'm for it.