Would you "settle" for 5th place?

Discussion in 'Everton' started by kerpow, Feb 3, 2005.

1. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Looking at the table, we're 10 points clear of Boro and Charlton with Bolton and Spurs a further 1 and 3 points further back respectively. Surely none of them have the squad to really charge up the league with that gap already established.

So would you be happy with 5th and guarenteed UEFA qualification? Or would you be gutted if we missed out to the top table of CL?

2. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    If the Shite finish 4th instead of us, I'd be gutted. We're a better team than them this year and we should finish above them. That being said, this team has far exceeded my expectations for the year, and honestly I'm happy with anything above 17th. :D

There are still many months of football and a lot can happen until the end of the season. An injury would hurt, as we saw with Martyn being out a month. Granted, we didn't completely fall apart but we sure weren't the same team we'd been all year.

3. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Would I settle for 5th place now?

Are you joking me? Everton have been mostly 3rd this season and have spent all season above the redsh1te who still think it's 19fckin80. It's 60 odd points to get that Champions League spot.

Let's say the target is 64 points (last season Liverpool got the CL spot with 60 points), that means that Everton need 17 points out of a possible 39 points. That's

5 wins (15 points)
    2 draws (2 points)

That means that Everton could probably afford to get beat 6 times and still get a CL spot. Maybe 7 times, if it's only 61 points to qualify.

It reminds me of 2002/03 season when Everton were fourth all season, and they ended up finishing 7th and the only team out of the top 10 to actually fail to qualify for Europe.

There's no way I can see us missing out on Europe this season, not while we've on 47 and Boro and Charlton are on 37. And Moyes has learnt a lot, he isn't killing the players like 2002/03, and we are a much better team than then.

But I can see the redshite taking fourth place because that's the type of sh8tty thing they would do. They qualified for CL last season on 60 points, while we qualified for nothing the season before for that despite finishing on 59 points.

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could live with 5th place if need be.

This club needs to be sure first and foremost that it remains reasonably stable financially.

And if we finish 4th in the league, buy up a bunch of players in the offseason, and subsequently crash out early in the CL, we could find ourselves in a financial crisis and headed down to the Championship.

5. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I don't think Moysie is going to spend irresponsibly, CL or not. He's just not that kind of manager - frugality seems to be his specialty. I agree that financial stability is important, but making the Champions League will bring in a ton of revenue. Even if we crash out early, which I would fully expect we would, we'd still see some extra cash.

6. ~eM~

~eM~ New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Sydney
    i think u guys even have the chance for 3rd..
    arsenal will start dropping points afterthe loss against united..
    and if u guys are steady... we will see everton in 3rd with arsenal and livo fighting for 4th

7. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest I don't want to be drawn into a discussion about if we qualify for the Champions League, or that would just jinx it. :D

BUT, Moyes has got money to spend in the summer. Possibly £20 million, and that's not including the 12.8 million investment from the Fortress Sports.

Everton budgeted this year to finish 14th, it's £500,000 for each premiership place up the table. So that means that if we finnish fourth, it's already a £5 million bonus (money we didn't expect to get). Which nearly pays off the beattie transfer.

Qualifying for the champions league brings more money, Moyes isn't one to waist money. BUT if we qualify for the CL, Moyes could bring in players that want to play in the Champions League. That otherwise would have rejected a move to Everton who were just in the UEFA Cup.

He could spend £20 million and Everton could fail, but fanancially Everton would be OK and he would have strengthened the squad a lot.

Course I'd be happy with a UEFA Cup spot, but I definetely wouldn't settle for it right now.

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read, it's not until they reach the knockout stages that clubs really start to see some financial rewards.

If they just make the group stage and get eliminated, supposedly they break-even or so.

9. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Oh I totally agree. Infact Moyes had said as much, albeit Man U rather than Arsenal. Man U are playing well but Arsenal could quite feasibly collaspe. They have the huge pressure of CL and may put a cup run together (as that is realistically the only trophy they can win). We on the other hand have Man U in the cup, and while I honestly believe we could beat them, at what cost?

If we did finish 4th I would like to see some loan deals made for experienced CL campaigners but save the real cash for more upcoming youngsters.

10. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'm making no predictions and taking nothing for granted...but shouldn't an Everton supporter look back at history and just quietly and patiently let things play out as they will?? ;)

11. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A club will receive at least £5m (could be euros) just for qualifying I believe.

12. Scouse

Scouse New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Manchester
    how do you figure a club would break-even?

not like there's a £5m entry fee is it?

13. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002

That sounds about right. Do the losers in the CL qualifiers still get a kick back to the UEFA? I had heard they were thinking of abandoning that idea.

If nothing else, finishing 4th and therefore qualifying for CL will raise our image and attract better players.

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right.

I checked on the web and it turns out that Liverpool earned £5m for reaching the group stage of this year's Champion's League.

They then won another £5m for finishing in the top 2 of their group and qualifying for the first knockout stage.

My guess is that I read "break-even" and Champion's League together in an article commenting on club finances. Should Everton come in 4th, for instance, they're apt to spend an extra £5-10m in the transfer market just so they can do respectably well in the tournament.

15. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I think Everton still has a chance of taking 3rd. Stop looking behind you and look up. You're not that far off. And they've lost 3 in the last 10 or something. They've got some injuries and things aren't going their way.

16. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    3rd - Arse - 51
    4th - Everton - 47
    5th - Liverpool - 40

Take 3rd and for sure Liverpool finishes below you. :)

17. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good point :)

That's what Moyes and Irvine (the assistant) have been saying anywya. One of there answers to the win against Norwich was "we've closed the gap on Arsenal" :D

18. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Good to see them doing that. I'm sure placing that way is worth a few more bucks, at the very least. Plus to be able to go out in recruit in the summer after beating Arsenal should help a bit, too.