Would you guys object to a playoff if...

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by 400lb Gorilla, Apr 30, 2008.

1. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok guys don't immediately flame me. I'm not talking about an every season playoff. What i'm saying is would you object to a one game playoff to settle a tie in the standings at the end of the season. For example this year, there is a perfectly reasonably chance that Chelsea and Man U could end the year tied, instead of going to goal differential wouldn't having a one game playoff at either Wembley or the home of the team that would of won the tiebreaker perhaps be a better solution?

2. Jono-NZ

Jono-NZ New Member

Aug 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    No.

Why not just make it another knock-out competition while we're at it.

Winning the league is about consistency, if it comes down to goal differential some people are always going to throw questions around. At the end of the day the most consistent team over the season wins the title.

Besides the last 2 games of the season are going to be like tiebreaking finals for the top 2.

3. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    No, it's fine as it is. I like the fact that goal scored and conceded count in the final standings! If they have playoff, it would become useless.

4. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    no. BUT, the nhl stanley cup playoffs is one of the most intense, exciting spectacles in any sport - so it can work very well.

however, the cultures and traditions are very different, so i don't think it would ever work in football in England.

5. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    How is the NHL playoffs any different to the NBA ones? And it may be exciting but it's not fair.

6. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No it wouldnt be right, if Chelsea lost the title on goal difference it may teach them to try and win games by attacking rather than sitting on leads.

Playoffs are exciting just look at the championship, league 1 and 2 but i think if they should be scrapped, the only reason they arent is there are no european places on offer in the lower leagues so playoffs are needed so the last 6 games actually mean something.

7. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This system was used in Italy up until quite recently, and I think it's not without its merit. I remember quite an exciting relegation playoff between Reggina and Verona several years ago.

8. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No this is a terrible idea. I think they should keep it the way it is. I would rather keep the goal difference rule or let there be co-champions than have an extra game.
    I think that promotion should be based on points and not a playoff system too, btw.

9. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Co-Champions.. that's ridiculous. I think Playoffs are a possiblity already if the teams are already equal in every possibility: Points, GD, GF, GA, Wins, Head-to-head, if all of them are equal I think there is a playoff or it is just done Alphabetically, there definitely used to be an extra deciding game anyway.

10. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said earlier, I was posting some odd stuff yesterday. Co-champions? :eek:

11. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Those are the rules...besides, it would add to fixture congestion. And, since this is a Euro year, how would you feel if you supported Portugal and Carvalho and Ronaldo both went off injured in a playoff - the CL final will work well enough. Besides, I see no dishonor in losing due to a tie-break, and it would also reward attacking football...

Asking to change the rule would be so ..Liverpool.....

12. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    How would that be so typical of Liverpool? You can't go around avoiding matches just incase someone gets injured, why have friendlies if that's the case.. These guys aren't gods they are just people that are quite good at football, and if the rules change so that they have to play an extra game they can play a ********ing extra game.

13. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    whin(g)ing to change the rules.....apparently you don't recall (or fail to see my point)why a Liverpool side which had finished fifth bitched and moaned to get into the CL several years back....and I know that risk involved might not be an issue for you, as Ingerland are staying home this summer, but if you were a Geordie you might recall one Michael Owen being injured in Germany2006....

14. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    He got injured in the tournament not a playoff.. that's exactly my point thanks. Liverpool didn't bitch and moan about it, UEFA did it all because they didn't think it was right that you could have a tournament where the holders don't compete for it, I think any other team in the world would have enquired to see what could be done if they were in Liverpools situation, and it's not like they kicked anyone else out, they had to enter it from before round 1 with a game against TNS if I remember correctly.

15. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Can I also make it clear that I care very little about the success of England as we won't win another trophy for a very long time, I only care about Bolton Wanderers, and would have no problem with us playing extra competitive games, if this really was such an issue they wouldn't have FA Cup Replays would they?

16. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    well, I would think that any playoff would have the same intensity as a game, even a preliminary rounder, at a WC Finals. Some made a point - and I can't completely disagree- that season match fatigue affected some major nations, particularly at WC2002.

You're correct about 'Pool playing at TNS in Wales. To UEFA's credit, they did NOT kick out the 4th place side in the Prem that season to accommodate Liverpool. (Who wazzit? Everton? Villa? West Ham? Spurs? Bolton? The usual suspects, I reckon).

My objection was to the sense of "entitlement" so typical of the Red merseysiders- but I do agree that a champion should be allowed to defend their crown - and we see some sides in the CL/UEFA Cup competitions who are NOT doing that well in their season (Getafe screams out, I'm sure there are several others who are merely languishing in their domestic leagues).

Now, back to the grind. Good evening to you.

17. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Bolton kind of screams out like a child getting raped. Yes.

18. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Our missives crossed -
    glad to see that. I think that's why the Champs league has exploded with globalization. I don't care (and I'm sure my friends in North London would agree) how many Englishmen play for my side - as long as they field the best 11 they can. Besides, nationality is not a great construct - when you have naturalized citizens, children of split nationality, (I know - my sister's a citizen of Belize!), players who elect to play for the nation where they make their money, etc..
    re: FA Cup replays. It's one of the places where the "little guys" (Divs 2, 3, 4 and the Conference- I refuse to call it "The Championship"- it's Div 2, and always will be), win - they get their home ground, then get the replay (and half the gate) at the ground of their larger opponent.

19. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Forgive me my grinning....What I wanna know is- how did Big Sam lose the plot so much at Newcastle?

20. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    The only reason UEFA didn't kick Everton out is because they couldn't; The rules were clear in that it was the Premier League's decision, and for once they stood up for the integrity of the league. UEFA only allowed Liverpool in through the back door when it was clear we weren't going to make the 'right' decision and give Everton's place to Liverpool.

After this UEFA changed the rules; Now a Champions League winner who hasn't qualified for the next years tournament will be automatically given a place at the expense of a qualified team from the same country.

21. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    He was always quite slow at building his team up to being successful, and made this clear when he joined Newcastle. This is because he isn't a tactical genius his main quality is his man management and motivation and he relies heavily on the basics of the tactic that made him successful at Bolton, so when he hasn't really been given enough money to bring in the key players;

A powerful targetman (he got Viduka who flopped through injury/shitness),

Tireless aggressive midfielders (he got Alan Smith who also underperformed greatly, but I think he knew it was a gamble in the first place, and then Joey Barton who managed to get himself locked up)

Defence which was always the key to his tactics and Newcastle had a noticably weak one, he goes for players that may not possess a great deal of pace or reading of the game but the key is to get players who know their positioning, are versatile, are tall and can play a good long ball (so he brought in Enrique, Cacapa, Beye and Faye. Enrique has a great long ball but he failed to show the other qualities that were most important to Allardyce so wasn't played, Cacapa impressed on some occasions then on others seemed to just fall asleep, he was far too inconsistant, Beye has looked very good more so under Allardyce than Keegan, and Faye who mainly impressed for Bolton in Midfield as your kind of Vinnie Jones player played in his secondary role in defence and didn't really have anything to offer apart from solidity, he couldn't read the game so you could really exploit him.) I'll just ignore Rozehnal. What Newcastle really lacked was a Defensive leader so the defence often got out of position, I think he intended Taylor to fit into this role but he was highly unimpressive at the start of the season.

Basically Allardyce is a one trick pony, and to really transform Newcastle into a good side he needed alot more money, he spent most of his budget on a defence which didn't perform, but the main problem was that he didn't have enough money left to strengthen midfield with pressuring players and didn't have the talisman of his attack - a strong Target Man. It took him around a decade to do what he did with Bolton, Newcastle couldn't be bothered waiting more than 3 years and really just didn't want to play unattractive football, mainly because they view themselves as a bigger club than they actually are.

********ing hell thats miles off topic.

22. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    A one game playoff would be great. It happened in Argentina about 2 years ago and the game was great. Boca Juniors needed one tie in their last 3 games and lost all 3 and then took the lead in the playoff game vs Estudiantes and lost 2-1. It made for an exciting finish to the season.

23. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    But that's because the atmosphere at Argentinian games and Boca in particular are unrivaled in sport, so any game is going to look immense. It wouldn't work in England because not only are we strict traditionalists, it promotes scoring a goal and defending all game when chasing the title, ala Bolton's last 4 games.

The next step of the Premiership is to try and promote teams to go out and attack rather than sit and defend against certain teams, since GD at the moment isn't enough.

When you share the same opinion as Avram Grant you know you're an idiot.

24. Salop

Salop New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Shrewsbury, UK

Absolutely. The introduction of the playoffs to decide the final promotion place in the lower leagues has been nothing short of brilliant for clubs in those divisions. However, this is because teams in those leagues are more than happy to accept the inherent unfairness of the system as a trade off for the increased interest in their final regular season league matches, which leads to increased revenue from higher attendances and the potential of TV money and a big pay day if you get to a Wembley final. In other words, the playoffs were a necessary evil for clubs who found that their gates were dropping to perilously low levels when it became obvious they were heading for a mid table finish 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through the season.

However, there's absolutely no need for this in the top flight. The carrot of Champions League or UEFA Cup football is more than a big enough incentive for the top sides and Goal Difference is obviously the fairest way to seperate the two teams as it awards consitency over 38 games (which is what the whole thing's about) rather than the ability to turn it on or just completely fluke one match.