Would ManU-Real interest you?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Beez, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Details of the ManUtd U.S. tour are on soccernet.com, with one paragraph of particular interest...

http://espn.go.com/soccer/news/2002/1005/1441468.html

"On the East Coast, there will be games in Foxboro, Mass. (July 31), and in New Jersey. The opposition in Foxboro could be Glasgow Celtic, a top Italian club or perhaps Real Madrid. The match in the Meadowlands could bring Juventus or Roma of Italy to the New York metropolitan area."

2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
  4. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only yes, but

"HELL YES!"

They'd sell out the joint on that fixture.

5. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Call me crazy but I would rather see them play the Revs then play some other foreign team thats just gonna come here and play there subs and not care who wins or loses.

6. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I'd rather see Celtic, but surely I'd go see them play Real.

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    But of course.

8. Allez_Zizou

Allez_Zizou New Member

May 24, 2002
    Metro Fan in Boston
    FYI--When Real played Roma this past August at the Meadowlands (also put on by Championsworld), both teams came fully stocked. I drove down for the night and viewed Zidane, Figo, Roberto Carlos, Bastituta, etc. And both teams played to win. Even better, both fan bases were excellent and the atmosphere was very tense.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Doesn't really matter to me, but Celtic would be interesting.

The Magpie

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could not care less.

11. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I second Worldcup76 on that note. And hopefully they don't hold back, play this one for real. Of course they wouldn't, since they'd have nothing to win. But I'd feel better if our teams got blown off the field by their big guns than to play easy-does-it with some reserve team. Either way, they'll probably be impressed with Shaver Stadium.

12. thebeast

thebeast New Member

May 22, 2002
    Boston
    if both teams brought their first teams then deffinately. if they brought their seccond teams then probaly not.

13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timing is the major indicator on these tours. If it's immediately after their domestic season, then it's pure barnstorming with a distinct lack of familiar faces.
    On the other hand, the End of July is fine tuning time for English and Scottish squads and at least two weeks in for the Italians, so one could reasonably expect to see everyone who is healthy, though the big names might not play a lot of minutes.

As for that game, I would probably go if it was Real (couple of co-workers are Real fans), Roma or Inter (like 'em well enough), but I'm not interested enough in Celtic or the other big name Italians to make worth my while to pay out just to boo ManUre

14. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Well I suppose if it's a toss up between Man U and jamming 6-inch long pointy sticks into my eyeballs, then, well.......let me think...

Sorry not a big fan. I think it'll be a great event for East Coast soccer though. I'm sure the "Sons of Satan" will draw quite a crowd (heck, some people love Real Madrid and the Yankees too: there's just no accounting for taste...).

Then again, I could always say I'm going in order to heckle/root against Mr. Spice and his cronies...;)

15. scrub

scrub Member

Oct 12, 2000
    I'd be interested in a game like that, but I'd be more interested in Revs v. a team like that.

For me, though, the best would be a game that counted for something, so the teams would play.

I'd like to see the MLS champ play the EPL champ.

We probably have no right to be in such a match at the moment, but who cares. Let's get it done and let the chips fall where they may.

Call it the "1776 Cup"

16. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come now, it's not about rooting for the ManUre, it's about seeing one of the best teams in the world. I don't expect to be rooting for them (in fact, I'd even root for the Metros over ManU), but I'd still like to see them.

17. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Oddly enough, I don't like Man U, but I like a bunch of their players (Giggs, Keane, Butt, Van Nistelrooy, Beckam).

From what I read about the Roma-Real Madrid game at the Meadowlands this summer, but teams played pretty hard and all of the stars saw significant action.

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would love to see Real Madrid against Man U or AC Milan against Man U. For those people who are doubting that the teams will bring the stars, READ THE ARTICLE. It says that they (Man U) will be taking the games seriously, plus its preseason, so they want to see how their players are doing. We probably wont see 90 minutes out of Beckham, but we will see him there. I'm sure alot of them are pretty excited to come to the US and play, just like we are excited that they are comin so we can see them play. This tour will make alot of money. predicted attendence for july 31st, 68K

19. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Season Ticket package?

I was in Brazil when Man U played in the World Club Championship. I was not impressed.

Supposedly the Mulatas and the Caipirinha did them in.
    ___

Now if we are talking Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo or Rivaldo and it is not $50/ticket. Maybe.

20. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    How can anyone call themselves a soccer fan and not want to see the likes of Figo, ZZ, Raul, Ronaldo, Beckham, RvN, et al, up close and personal? I really hope this happens.

21. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    Re: Season Ticket package?

what are you expecting it to be to see two world class teams?

22. "Red" Foley

"Red" Foley New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    In short, no.

Real Madrid are the fascist club of Franco. The only worse club I can think of would be Lazio, whose support really does consists of quasi-fascist neo-nazi thugs and other vile elements. All Real have going for it is their history. But we might as well look up who Adolf Hitler’s favourite club and invite them for a nice little four team tournament.

And don’t get me started on ManUre. They symbolise just about everything that is evil in modern football. What was the quote from that article, something about their goal being to sell out every stadium ? Silly me, I might have thought their goal would be to get the players firing on all cylinders for the start of the season, so they won’t lose to a mighty side like Bolton, who were too good even for Mike Burns a few years ago !

A pox on both their houses !

But if they brought in Celtic, that would be another story entirely !

Cheers,

"Red"

23. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Red a very 'unbiased' -- guffaw, wink, wink -- analysis. As if there are no political/racial undertones associated with Celtic.

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no sale

Sorry, as much as I would like to see Man U play, I could care less about any of the mentioned opponents. With no local team involved, it just becomes another, and I'm sure, expensive game. I would be more interested in the MLS final then this game.

Now if they were playing the Revs ???? but then, I guess MLS would get the gate, not the Krafts. Wonder if that's why no local team ????

Why not the US Nats ? That would generate some interest.

25. Sporting Fan

Sporting Fan Member

Oct 18, 2001
    I WANT SPORTING !! vs. Man United