Would instant replay be good for football?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by DerMongerer, Jan 1, 2005.

1. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Given some of the questionable missed calls that could've potentially altered the history of football, (the Hand of God, Battiston butchered at WC82, Belgium's 1st goal vs. Brazil, Blatant De Boer dive vs. the Czech's at EURO 2000) could something along the lines NFL (American football) style Instant Replay be implemented to help crack down on dives, simulations, hand balls in the penalty box?

Suppose if the ref was able to walk around with some sort of mini-TV in his pocket that could replay an incident.

However teams wouldn't be able to call on the ref to challenge a call like they do in the NFL. What does anyone think of this?

2. #1realfan

#1realfan New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    S. Philip. Barbados
    It would be alright.But it should only be called on when the ref is in doubt.Or the assistant ref.

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I know that instant replays will make the game more just, but ref mistakes are an important part of the soccer culture, so i will vote against replays.

4. #1realfan

#1realfan New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    S. Philip. Barbados
    Yes but sometimes some people get relegate when they're not given a penalty or a wrong offside call in the all important match.

5. Vic#10

Vic#10 New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Orange County
    Instant replay would make football even greater. It always makes me made to see that almost every other sport has it. When ever I see Rugby I wonder why football can’t follow in its footsteps with replays.

6. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    Instant replays would be good on staming out on bad penalty decisions, but they would also interupt the flow of the game.

7. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Perfectly said. Other sports have it because rarely anything of them posess the flow and lack of stoppage that soccer does. Even when the ball does go out, it is only for a very short period of time. If American football, there's 3 mintes of break for every one minute of play. There's time to use.

Using instant replay could distrupt the game, thus giving the other team an advantage, so either way a team is at a loss. Vote no on instant replay.

8. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    I'm under the impession that it could be implemented differently than from other sports. Perhaps only used on a few certain plays where it is truly necessary, to limit interupting the game.

9. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    That would be for the best, but ...

... even using it just once per game could be vital to changing the momentum of the game.

10. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    i wouldnt want instant replays. i came to see the sport, not some guy watching TV every few minutes. there is so much more momentum that you need in this sport.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Football is unique in that it does not stop. The only way to make instant replay work even remotely well would be to only use it to determine if goals were legal. That's really the only time that games stop anyway. Other than that, no way.

12. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    I suppose that's true.

13. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We don't need Instant Repaly for that, we can just put a Linesman next to each goal. They could make sure if the ball crossed the line or not, and could spot fouls in the penalty area that the referee can't see. The Italian federation just proposed that today.

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What he said...

15. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Well given that your Chelsea :) got away with a clear handball yesterday by Tiago in the penalty box, I think that there are other things it could be useful for as well. I mean potentially that 2 points lost could end up costing Liverpool a CL/Uefa Cup spot.

I agree that the fact that football doesn't stop makes it unique, but how many times are we going to keep continuously sweeping critical referee mistakes under the carpet?

I think not having instant replay in football kind of reminds me of NHL players who insist on not wearing visors during matches. They're so adamant about this outdated unwritten rule, but yet I think it's going to take someone (heaven forbid) getting killed for them to think otherwise.

Same thing with football, refereeing miscues are ok to laugh at until it conspires to eliminate you from a EURO/WC tournament. Yes people can say some referees are better than others, but even a respected figure like Collina fell for that obvious dive by De Boer vs. the Czech's at EURO 2000 potentially costing them a place in the next round.

16. aguilas

aguilas New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Club América
    Yes it should be installed. Everyone thought that it would mess football up but it has made it a lot better.

17. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    I am for whatever technology that helps the refs implement the rules of the game but does not stop the flow of the play. If some methods of instant replay can do that, I'm all for it.

18. bora bora

bora bora New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Brisbane
    every bloody english supporter will say yes, because of the euro 2004 quarter

19. cajun___soccer

cajun___soccer New Member

Jun 10, 2004
    never....................I hope it never happens

20. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    It should be used on goals that are scored and waived off due to offside or goals scored that are offside. Other than that I am not sure how it would work.

Lets face it ,had repaly be in play at WC 2002, Italy had Korea beat in Regulation time. Twice they had perfectly good goals taken away. one in reg one it golden goal. They where not even close they where so onside it was sick.

21. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    For those of you saying about how one bad call can take away a place in Europe, I'm sure that the ratio of easy chances that have been missed : goal changing referee calls is so much that every team controlls its own destiny, regardless.

Layman's terms; there are more sitters not capitialized on, than there are decisions that give a goal the other way.

22. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    But with the massive corruption that is world football, how do you expect the judgement of 'truely necessary' to be used correctly? And do you actually expect all of the corrupt refs to make the correct call with a replay? I highly doubt it.

But were these mistakes simple officiating errors, or was there a bigger reason to it? Maybe the problem's source should be fixed first.

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    that's actually an interesting question because in England the goal would have stood, but in most of europe it's accepted that it wouldn't have been allowed.

Something like that, where there's room for interpretation, isn't a decision that could be made by TV - not unless you allow a few hours to debate it.

An incident like the 'handball' in the US v Germany match couldn't really be helped by TV either, as the TV pictures there can't prove intent either way.

A ball crossing a line, yes. Whether a penalty was a foul or dive - possibly. Much else? Not really.

The Battiston incident in 1982 wouldn't have been helped by TV. It wasn't as if people missed it, it was just that back then goalkeepers never got sent off.

24. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great question. There are times in a match that replay's could definetly be used. However,one of the thing's i love about soccer is it's continuous flow. I would be afraid that it would disrupt the flow of the game.

I am in favor of replay's that are currently used as in the case of Wayne Rooney shoving that Bolton player in the face. I like the fact the FIFA or the FA could go back and reveiw a foul and then penalize a player.

25. Vic#10

Vic#10 New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Orange County
    I see the point of instant replays slowing down the game, i just wish that the ref looked at the gigantic screen above his head every once in a while. It is always funny when you see an instant replay and all of the fans start to boo but the ref does nothing.