Would A European Super League Make As Much Money As The NFL?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by F.L.I.P., Aug 26, 2010.

1. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Haven't been on this board for a while. This whole discussion in this thread does pique my interest in another area though. Why is it that people are desperate to explain how Euro soccer could be "richer" or "make more money" when the economics do not suggest this in any way? Is this primarily from European people? NA (with or without Mexico) is economically the size of the entire EU without language barriers and the NFL is a profit mindful business while most soccer clubs are run with massive deficit and waste and are very political.

The real discussion needs to be a fundamental change in the European soccer culture of going away from endless spending and abolishing transfer fees and adopting the more common sense "free agency" of NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS. Then they need to restore the advantage of each individual club to compete at the highest level so that the economic strength of their league doesn't rest on 4-5 teams. Right now their are only 2 successful businesses in EPL soccer, Tottenham and Arsenal. And that's out of 20 in the most successful soccer league in the world. Real Madrid have revenues of close to 600 freaking million but still needed government loans! This should be the real topic of discussion: how do people in Europe change the stupid culture of idiotic spending?

2. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    why do you care about that?

why is it important that football clubs are successful businesses? some are non-profit organizations who only exist to play football and represent their city or region. what's wrong with that?

and if some rich guy wants to spend his money on football why should we stop him?

free agency already exists in football, and has existed for 15 years. when your contract runs out, you're free to sign with anyone you wish. if you wish to leave before the end of your contract, compensation for breaking the contract has to be paid. usually the club you want to move to pays that ? where exactly is the problem?

3. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I understand that England is a democracy and so is Spain but the fans are being denied a great opportunity to see competitive games every week every game. As an example: in the NFL every team is about as rich as AC Milan or Inter. Imagine a league with 20 AC Milan caliber teams the quality of viewership goes up tremendously. Does anybody really care about watching Blackpool vs Blackburn? That's why the NFL is so fun to watch - every team has tons of money and can get any player and every game can be a competitive game.

As a fan isn't that what you want to see? Or do you just want to see Barcelona win every single game against teams that spend 300 million less than them?

4. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah Blackpool and Blackburn fans, they're the ones that matter.

5. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know any Blackpool fans - but I'm sure they're real happy that they'll never win anything and that their club is there just to promote a few rich clubs.

And in a more direct response - you wouldn't rather a potential higher national interest in all games and higher overall quality in the EPL? (as a viewer myself only about 1 or 2 games a week interest me. I'd probably watch Bundesliga over most games in EPL if it were in English and they had better players. The Germans are a good example - Bayern Munich are in 5th)

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Total nonsense. Your own words contradict. Coverage received is BECAUSE OF the success of a team. If a team were to become doormats, they would receive less coverage. That's obvious, but yet you skate over it because it refutes the rest of your argument. So when Liverpool becomes a perennial doormat in a Super League, what happens with the younger viewers (from other countries particularly) who have no idea of or don't care of their glorious past? They follow another team .... that's what.

What is truly "myopic" as you state is believing that the Asian markets are NOT following the winning teams because they are glory hunters. What other reason do they have for following teams that they have no connection to? Fans are fickle. They like winners. And for fans halfway across the world with no ancestral/personal connection to Liverpool whatsoever, there is no reason for them to suffer for Liverpool when they stink, year after year.

What makes those big Barcelona/Manchester games big games is that they are both one of the best. When one of them becomes Stoke City, the "bigness" of the game will reflect that reality.

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you measure success in monetary success: No, because German football (along with a few neighbour markets like the NL) is not willing to sell it's soul, and without THE key European market the super league couldn't dream of rivaling NFL, and you couldn't rival it without private ownership of clubs, relegation/promotion, etc.

If you measure it in how many fans it could reach, how much prestige it could have etc, if done the right way, probably.

If you measure it by 'being popular in North America': Only if the US is wiped out and Mexico takes over.

8. trezege100

trezege100 New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Club:
    AC Horsens
    I think yes, Champion league will get more money, like NFL in USA.

9. LoveModernFootball

LoveModernFootball New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Club:
    --other--