worthy of dismissal?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by threeputzzz, Jul 17, 2017.

?

Dismiss?

1. Toss him immediately

35 vote(s)
    76.1%
  2. Not enough to dismiss yet

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    yes

Referee blew the whistle for a foul before the coach yelled. Play had not restarted yet.

2. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017
    ok, good. I assistant now run to coach area and make scene so everyone also see. I tell him, not loud, give time to referee put whistle in mouth, referee slow today, coach very fast. Most time, coach agree and make peace.

3. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    The referee blew the whistle to call the foul, then the coach yelled because he did not agree with the call.

4. errolv2

errolv2 Member

Barcelona
    Italy
    Apr 26, 2017
    No way am I ever allowing some hot-headed adult inject such horrible behavior into a match for which I am responsible. As the Referee I am removing him from the match. As an AR I am seeking a word with the Referee and advising him along the same lines.

5. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    To me it is very clear that he gets sent off simply because of the ROC.

I've played (and coached) in leagues where the members of the rules committees decided to crack down on 'foul' language. None was to be permitted. In this case, a coach yelling "GodDamn" loud enough for everyone to hear it has crossed that line. I personally don't agree with these types of rules, but that is a different discussion. In this particular instance, the coach has dug his own grave. You merely tell him to step into it.

6. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Story time! I'm AR2 on a small (and I do mean SMALL) evangelical college men's game. The game is pretty hot and the referee is, frankly, struggling to keep things from boiling over, couple of cards issued. Home team player doesn't like my offside flag and exclaims "Judas Priest!" This is a church school, that's sacrilegious and I am quite confident that the school does not tolerate that kind of language. Flag up, call referee over, advise him to caution the player for incidental foul language, unsporting behavior. He goes to the player and issues the caution, immediately followed by a display of the red card. His second caution.

Now the layout at that field had a fence behind AR2, on the other side of which was most of the student body (this was their only fall sport, so it was a big deal at the school.) I hear the students behind me buzzing about this. "Joey just got a red card for saying "Judas Priest!"" I didn't have to turn around to know that their eyes were bugging out at what had happened. Funniest thing. Not a word of complaint from the coach. The game dropped from a near boil to a simmer and there were no more cards issued.

SccrDon, IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  7. magres

magres New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Just read this thread (on vacation). My thoughts are I am not tossing a coach for "GD" at this point of the match for what I consider mildly profane. If the ROC require some action, why can't you run over and tell the coach that he/she can't use that language and he is in the book for dissent or whatever the ROC call for. (cautioned, don't show a card) He'll know he's stepped over the line a little. Lets the players and spectators know you'll deal with the behavior. In NFHS, it's incidental foul language (even by a coach).

8. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I, too, often round down on behavior issues when the game is just about over, especially for first offenses. So, maybe I would go AC here.

But, I very much disagree that in NFHS this is incidental. At a High School game, I am deciding between Yellow and Red for this, and would be leaning strongly Red since it was so loud.

9. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're forgetting that in NFHS incidental cursing is a yellow card.

10. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFHS also says "using insulting, offensive or abusive language or gestures" is a dismissal. So that doesn't mean that because the person was having an emotionally charged reaction they get a free pass.

Incidental to me is more akin to getting hit on a sensitive area and saying something. Not being upset and failing to control yourself. One is a result of physical pain, the other is result of not controlling ones emotions.

Law5 and SccrDon repped this.
  11. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no argument from me. I was just replying to jayhonk that by the book incidental foul language is a card not AC

fairplayforlife repped this.
  12. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I thought you were going the other direction with it.

Some people I ref with would bleet until their dying breath that a profanity laced tirade is a yellow because the rules say incidental foul language is only a yellow. My apologies.

IASocFan, Law5 and tomek75 repped this.
  13. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ok, off topic but this was just too weird. I thought the game under discussion was going to be my last of the summer season but I ended up answering a call for help at the state tournament today (Wed) through Friday. The location of the state tourney games is about 40 miles away from where the qualifier game was. On my way to the field where my game is I pass by Mr. GD useless call on his way to another field. Ok, that's weird, but his team did hang on in that game and earned a trip to state so I shouldn't be surprised to see him here. Then I get to my game and the head coach of the away team was the same coach of the team that Mr. DG beat that night. It's like a youth soccer twilight zone.

IASocFan, dadman and jdmahoney repped this.
  14. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I think the lesson here is - the rule as written (profane language) is too vague. Unless the league wants to leave it up to each referee to decide for himself..... I know, I know, this can fall into the category of I know it when I hear it.......

I am reminded of a situation a couple years ago where a 14 yr old female center ref (from a relatively pious family that has produced 4 decent refs so far) carded a 12 yr old female player for calling a teammate something derogatory, but not "profane". When asked why, the ref responded that she had used a dirty word. To which the player responded, it's not a dirty word in my family. For the life of me, I can't remember what the word was, but it was not something most of us in 2015 would consider "bad". Disrespectful, yes, but not dirty or profane. (dumbass maybe)

All amusing (to me) so far, but the coach exploded at the ref after the game and caused her to retreat in tears. And it almost got physical when the older brother (also a ref) raced to protect his sister.

So my opinion about rules like this is - make a list of what words are not allowed and enforce it.

PS - coach was terminated

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  15. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I'd say that "dumbass," especially when said to a teammate, is unsporting, especially for U-13 girls. Shorten the claws, ladies. Too much girls mistreating each other around that age just because they think they can.

I don't know if my earlier post made my message clear enough. We frequently hear from high level instructors that the referee needs to ask themselves, "Does the player need a card? Does the game need a card?" I think we get caught up too much in the language topic worrying about whether the player needs/deserves a card and the precise level of offensiveness of the words used.* We also need to consider the effect of the language on the atmosphere of the game and how it affects, in subtle ways, the expectations of players, coaches and parents/spectators about what's going to be allowed today. If the referee allows certain vulgar, borderline language, it can be taken by others as indicating that the referee isn't going to call stuff today unless it's big, and that's true of both language and other behavior.

* I worked occasionally with a then Canadian FIFA referee who told the story about doing a pro game in which a frustrated player "asked" him "What porch did your mother crawl out from under when she had you?" Is there a single "bad" word in that sentence? Should he be sent off for saying it?

Bubba Atlanta and dadman repped this.
  16. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The state I work in has issued guidance on top of the NFHS rulebook that is basically, this is a school event. If you can't say it in a classroom, you can't say it on the field.

17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be surprised at how unhelpful the "can it be done in school" threshold is in the modern world.

IASocFan, Doug the Ref, Law5 and 2 others repped this.
  18. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I always find it amusing when a referee gives the "extension of the classroom" speech and adds "if it isn't acceptable in the classroom, it isn't acceptable here." I'd wager that not many high school teachers accept running around and kicking things in their classrooms.:)

dadman and Doug the Ref repped this.
  19. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have to resist rolling my eyes or scoffing at another ref who talks about it in the pregame. When my wife was teaching HS, she was able to get the things like, "That's gay." and "Retarded" out of the students language. That doesn't mean there wasn't swearing, it was just never directed at anyone and usually under the student's breath.
    I was doing a dual on bad girls soccer in February and there was a girl in the first half near me that swore every time she wiffed on the ball, so once every 5 minutes. It was never loud enough for anyone further than 10 yards away to hear. Her team was down by at least 7 in the second half and the other ref disqualified the player for foul language. A) it was no more than incidental and B) it was never an F bomb, always Sh!t or Dmnt.

20. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Right, I'm not advocating what your partner did, I just use it to inform my decisions. A girl quietly saying "goddammit" when she misses a kick, heard by two other people? Not an issue. An adult screaming "GODDAMMIT" across the field so everyone hears it? That's an issue. A teacher can't stand and scream that in a classroom if the students didn't do their homework. I don't think I have rabbit ears by any means, but my tolerance for profanity/abuse from high school coaches is a lot lower than it is from players. They should know better and model better behavior.

And, I would add, I don't mention it in my pregame speech.

21. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't go to my school then... But to be fair, it was a different time, maybe a long time ago in a ... ....

I was once given a nice hard neck pinch by a teacher as he came up behind me when I wasn't doing my work. He then whispered in my ear "Quit f&*^king around and do your work" That was 7th grade. If I could've given him the RC I would've...

IASocFan, dadman and Law5 repped this.
  22. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    My high school didn't have a lot of money, at least not in my day. The legend is about one of the priests, who was also assigned to be the groundskeeper, and one day he's teaching in a classroom with lots of windows. During class, he sees a kid or two out on the lawn, screwing around. He stops class, pops open one of the drop down windows and yells "Get off the Goddamn grass!"

When I was younger, I would tell the captains at high school games that I didn't want to hear "anything you wouldn't say around your grandmother." One female captain then asked me, "What if you had, like, a really cool granny?" I told her "If she says words like that, then she isn't really cool." I also stopped making the statement to captains after that.

23. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I coach U12 girls. If I heard the other coach say that and I thought the refs heard it, I would expect him to be sent. If I said it, I'd expect to be sent. We're supposed to be setting the right example.

ArgylleRef repped this.
  24. MarinFCsoccer

MarinFCsoccer Member

May 16, 2008
    Novato
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Bunch of snowflakes here. I was raised in England where strong language is much more accepted in the mainstream than here.

Since when has "Goddamn" directed at a call been anything other than a point of emphasis?

frankieboylampard repped this.
  25. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We snowflakes in the Midwest like more genteel manners. Different regions have different standards - particularly when children's games are concerned.

Our High School Administrations do not want anything said that would offend anybody. This attitude is shared by many parents of youth players. And they are the ones who support the game.