Worst strike force we've had in decades?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Marco Delvecchio, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Marco Delvecchio

Marco Delvecchio Red Card

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    If not the worst.

BAGGIO-Schilachi
    Baggio/Signori/Massaro/Casiraghi
    Vieri -Baggio/Del Piero with inzaghi as a sub

2000 we had Totti/ super pippo del p and me

2002 vieri, dp, monetella and super pipo

2006 Toni/Totti/ dp/ pippo and that hack iaquinta

We have shit strikers. Our team is an embarrassment

Pelle, eder, el sharrWy , zaza?

******** me sideways

gumbacicc and el napulitan repped this.
  2. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think 2010 world cup was the worst with Iaquinta leading the line

Rossonero23, el napulitan and calabrese8 repped this.
  3. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And I know he's not a forward but ********ing Simone Pepe was also on that team. Arguably the least skilled player that Italy ever sent to a tournament

el napulitan and Marco Delvecchio repped this.
  4. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The forwards all called up on the 2010 team were Iaquinta, Gilardino, Di Natale, Quagliarella, Pazzini. Jesus that's a rag tag looking group if I've ever seen one

5. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the sad thing is that he was probably the most effective player in 2010 for us lol... not much skill but at least he was one of the only guys running and giving a shit

6. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Too bad he couldn't put his sitter away against Slovakia

7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    oh yea.. that was qualification right there teed up for him

Rosay repped this.
  8. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Quack did score one of the goals of the tournament, but apart from that, they were a pile of radioactive trash.

Marco Delvecchio and Rosay repped this.
  9. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Could've really used Cassano in 2010, that was a great year for him, even Balo wasn't full retard yet.

Rossonero23, el napulitan and Rosay repped this.
  10. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Almost forgot about Rossi, can't believe he didn't make the cut in 2010....Squad selection was subpar at most

Marco Delvecchio, Stamos and Rosay repped this.
  11. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2010 was a strange buildup because everyone knew Lippi was off his rocker but he built enough trust and equity from 2006 that we gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    But 2010 could have worked out if he wasn't so stubborn. Rossi, Cassano and Quagliarella would have been interesting upfront. And if Gigi didn't get injured, who knows... Marchetti had 0 confidence that tournament. And wasn't Pirlo injured almost the entire 3 games (I remember how epic it was before he was being subbed on to save us)..
    So stubborness and important injuries are what did Marcello in in 2010..

For what its worth, 2012 lacked depth. Balotelli and Cassano and who else..?

Rosay and mattteo repped this.
  12. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    If we had Rossi, Cassano or Balo we would have prgressed past the group. Even just one of them. Lippi is a ********ing disgrace.

Rosay repped this.
  13. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lippi won a world cup and every other trophy on the planet including a Asian CL.

Dage repped this.
  14. secretariat89

secretariat89 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portsmouth, NH
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

To be fair Rossi was injured that's why he didn't get called. Gigi was injured for few games and Pirlo only played the last few minutes of the third game. The only mistake he did was that he didn't call up Cassano who had a great year at Samp that year.

15. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Plus Marchetti was between the posts in 2010. God I hope Buffon and Sirigu stay healthy in France

16. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    You're joking right? When Quagliarella finally came on we looked like we could actually play football, plus quags and gioa showed in wc warm up games they had a good partnership. The journos were reporting how sharp quags looked in training. What I remember of pepe was that he tried quite hard in that last game to get sent off. Any time s manager calls up a shit player loke pepe he should be sacked with immediate effect.

17. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    as de laurentis put it. Lippi either banged his head and lost all knowledge of football or someone is paying him to select certain players. Dela doesn't understand football, but he was spot on with that statement. Lippi didn't help things by later claiming "I knew we wouldn't win"

18. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Simone Pepe makes Giaccherini look like a Stefano Fiore

Marco Delvecchio and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  19. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think in general this is the worst team we have seen at a major international tournament from Italy.

Goaltending - Buffon is old but I still have a lot of faith in him and I think he can still be one of the best keepers in the tournament plus his experience is a huge asset.

Defence - the Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli combo is probably the best defensive combination in the tournament. By Italian defensive standards though it is the worst I have ever seen. Just glad nobody else really stacks up to our level. Our wing backs, Florenzi and Damian I have faith in. Overall the back line is our strong point.

Midfield - the mid looked pretty strong with De Rossi, Marchisio, and Verratti. I was actually pretty confident. After the injuries to Marchisio and Verratti I'm now terribly scared of what is in store for us. In my oppinion we don't have anyone who can fill in that will be good enough to play at the level we need them to. I really can't name one other midfielder who I'd want to fill in. I feel Midfield has now become our weakest point, other than De Rossi.

Attack - I like Insigne and El Shaaraway on the wings. Unfortunately, we have absolutely nobody for the center. Eder and Pelle won't cut it. Hopefully Pelle ends up being a surprise though and somehow pops them in for us.

In conclusion, if our midfield wasn't injured I feel that we'd have an OK chance but with what we have now I feel that the chances of us passing the first knockout round are a solid 5%. It's dissapointing considering were Italy and are always contenders but truthfully I worry for our embarrassment this year. Hopefully I'm wrong though and somehow the universe conspires in our favour.

Marco Delvecchio repped this.
  20. paisano22

paisano22 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2014 was by far the worst attacking line up I've been watching since 1990. We left off Rossi who was our top striker and Mattia Destro who scored 13 goals in a half season and was in top form all so Prandelli could center the squad around Balotelli and their political agenda.

21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ya but I think Destro is shit now. He could have been shit for Italy

Marco Delvecchio repped this.
  22. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Destro is a ********ing bum and just another one of many hyped up players by our idiotic fans. I've heard countless guys get billed as the next big thing but delivered absolutely jack shit. We have far too many clueless fans who are so biased it's not funny.

23. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    cant believe eder made the team ahead of the telli

insanity...italy are going to suck, but they should at least be entertaining.

telli telli telli

24. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    With the attacking options we have, I believe Pelle is our only hope. If he can hit a hot streak/get off to a good start with a few goals and build up some confidence, I think we might have a chance to see the semi's.

25. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Graziano Pelle is going to be our Schillaci