Worst mistake by a goalie ever?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by miko, Jun 7, 2003.

1. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    I'll go for Peter Enckleman(Aston Villa)v. Birmingham City.

2. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Martin Brodeur vs. the Mighty Ducks.....

Oh wait you meant soccer right? I dunno David Seaman has made so many I lost count and can't even distinguish them from one another anymore.

3. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Seaman's was tragic against Brazil. Without that kick to take the lead, they stood a chance, especially if Ronaldinho had still ended up getting sent off.

Meola's against Brazil in '94 was pretty bad. Who knows what would have happened?

Kahn's against Brazil was tragic. It was tragic because he and Ballack had pretty much carried Germany to the final, and then to have one of them suspended for the final and the other commit the blunder that let Brazil take the lead. Granted, it wasn't the easiest shot to hold in. It wasn't a boneheaded play so much, if that's the kind of mistake you're looking for. It was more a bad mistake because of the ramifications the situation around it.

Those are all of the ones I have seen anyways. The stupid ones like not trapping a ball right and letting it go into the net aren't what I was thinking of. I was thinking of ones which cost the team dearly.

4. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Jerzy Dudek for Liverpool against Man U this year was atrocious. Diego Forlan isn't supposed to score goals. That was so boneheaded it wasn't even funny. :(

5. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Name more than two then. Ignorant twat.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    One against Brazil as someone else mentioned.... another one against a UEFA Cup Final in the early 1990's.

7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    actually, that was against Real Zaragoza in the 1995 Cup Winner's Cup final, when Seaman was beaten by a long distance lob from former Spurs player Nayim.

8. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    1. Ronaldinho
    2. Getting lobbed from 50 yards by Nayim
    3. Watching a corner kick go in the net vs Macedonia

shall we continue? twat?

9. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Stanley Menzo knocking a corner into his own goal leading to Auxerre's 3-2 (eventually they won 4-2) in the 93 or 94 UEFA Cup quarterfinal.

10. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Onstad's set and spike OG vs. KC this year was a howler

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    that would be my vote...watching him fumble it you knew what was going to happen and could only laugh the whole time knowing he was going to punch it in his own dan net.

12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    At Euro 2000, Belgian Filip De Wilde had two blunders in the tournament. The first one gave Sweden a goal, but Beglium still qualified. The second one gave Turkey a goal and a ticket to the second round.

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    1990 World Cup 2nd Round. Cameroon vs Colombia

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but it was extra time and Renee "El Loco" Higuita casually brings the ball out of his area, passes to a defender, who tries to get the ball back to Higuita but the ball is stolen (I'm sure it was Roger Milla) and results in an easy goal for Cameroon.

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think Mila stole the ball from Higuita himself.

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well number one really should be his ponytail.

3 honourable mentions

Barry Sidall, Stoke City v Spurs 1985. To set the scene both clubs were having contrasting fortunes. Spurs were second in the league, vying for the championship (really! yes, suspend your disbelief) with Everton, while Stoke were well on their way to recording the worst season in top flight history. Their final tally of 17 points (from 42 matches) would make even Sunderland fans laugh. After a surprisingly tight first half the score was 0-0. Straight from the kick-off though, an overhit pass was played forward into the Stoke half. Forward runs Barry, last in a long line of bushy-bearded goalkeepers to hack the ball to safety. Perhaps Barry was scared by an advert for gilette razors on the pitchside advertising boards, I don't know, but for some reason he totally misjudged the path of the ball as it went past him. A full blooded air-shot at a ball two-feet to his right, followed by an elaborate fall on his arse earned 7.8 for artistic merit by a panel of judges, as well as eternal gratitude from Garth Crooks as he ran through an tapped the ball into the empty net. For a comedy value for money bonus, that was inevitably the only goal of the game.

Simon Sheppard. Reading v Luton 1995. After selling Reading legend Shaka Hislop to Newcastle after the 1995 play-off final defeat, Reading had signed another keeper who would go down in Reading folklore for rather different reasons. Simon had a good reputation and had been an England youth international, which was perhaps a worrying portent for England's current goalkeeping problems. It was in this match, early in the season, that Simon chose to make a name for himself, although I'm sure "stupid f****** c***" wasn't quite what he had in mind. Early in the game, about the third minute, a Luton pass was made past Reading's back four. Although a Luton player was chasing, the was no real danger as our best and most experienced defender, ex-Polish international Dariusz Wdowczyk (oh the fun of hearing many an ill-prepared tannoy announcer trying to say his name) was there to sheppard th ball back to Simon. But Simon clearly thought if there was any shepparding to do, it should be done by him as ran forward to clear the ball. Sadly he failed to communicate this intention to Darius adequately, or indeed, at all, the result of which was not only did he completely miss the ball (of course allowing Luton to score into an empty net, but he managed to connect with Dariusz instead, putting him out for most of the season and effectively ending his career.

Peter Van der Kwaak. Wrexham v Reading 1998.
    After a catastophic late collapse that would give even the England cricket team nightmares, Reading were among the favourites to claim back the Division 1 place they'd lost only a few months earlier. With Tommy Burns now at the helm, and the new Madejski stadium due to be opened in two weeks time, confidence was high for this opening day fixture. Among the new faces on display for Reading was the Dutch goalkeeper Peter van der Kwaak, who had apparently been with Ajax when he was younger. As we were to discover, Ajax have such a comprehensive youth system that rather than being a hallmark of quality, the list of ex-Ajax youngsters was about as exclusive as a list of players who'd eaten tomato soup as a youngster.
    He actually was at fault for two of the goals in the 3-0 defeat that day. The first, not so bad one, came just a few minutes after remarks of "he's going to get caught out punching the ball away like that" were made upon noticing his "continental" punching style of goalkeeping. Do I need to tell you the goal was a result of a poor punch?
    His second mistake, the icing on the cake, was in the second half, with us already 2-0 down. Andy Legg, 40 yards from goal and out on the touchline decides on a safety first approach when under pressure and hits the ball back to his keeper. A nice safe pass rolling along the flat, bobble-free, opening day surface. It rolls perfectly towards Peter. No danger. He had all the time in the world. No pressure. Not a player within 30 yards of him. All he has to do is trap it, then kick it upfield. Sadly Peter couldn't have trapped a bag a cement that day and it rolled over his foot for effectively a 50 yard o.g. His career never scaled the same heights again, but as it only lasted 3 more games it's not surprising.

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Massimo Taibi, anyone?? Or how about Barthez against West Ham and Di Canio??

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    "The Blind Venetian" is quite possibly the greatest nickname given to a soccer player, ever. Well, maybe after David James, whose antics earned him two nicknames, "Calamity" and "Dracula".

18. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Didn't David Seaman give up a somewhat blunderous goal against Gianfranco Zola during the beginning of the season this year? I don't really remember it that much but I remember the english press gave him shite for it, although that mightv'e been due to the fact that Ronaldinho's goal was still fresh in their minds.

BTW Richard... Twat is a very strong word and should only be used when describing Franchesco Totti. :)

19. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    The first match I ever attended in Ingurland.

Boro played West Ham at Upton Park. Branco had just signed with Boro. If I recall, that might have been the first season of the revised rules on back passes to the keeper.

Bad back pass and keeper just kicked it right in front of the ugly Ian Dowie (or Julian Dicks, I forget) who stroked the ball in the back of the net.

20. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    The one where Keller kicked the ball into a Mexican player's head and the ball went in. That's funny as hell.

21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    There was one in a South American match, from a free kick.
    As the ref blew the whistle he raised his hand and as the ball came through the crowd without touching anyone the goalie side stepped it... and let it go in..!!
    He (The goalie) claimed that the ref signalled for an indirect kick (Dunno why...!!!) But the ref gave a goal.

They shoot refs for that down there, don't they?

22. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    Milla stripped Higuita , who was known for dribbling out of his own box, and scored.

23. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC

That was absolutely hillarious.

24. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    well, I am not a goalkeeper but I played this morning, and I misjudged and throw in and knocked it into the net.

Thank god we won 6-2............

Everyone may now laugh at me!

25. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    couldn't of been Dowie because he would have shot it over the bar.