Worldwide TV Ratings for the 2010 FIFA World Cup Final

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Pingudo, Jul 8, 2010.

1. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004

Dude, I can not talk about ratings because it is difficult for me to think that there is a uniform system in place that will be more than 80% accurate.

But your assumption is that outside this country, people tune in like Americans do. The answer is no. If you pay close attention to each olympic event, you will notice that the top 20 countries are always getting all the medals. So in reality a ton of countries get to participate, but few actually win.

Now, do you really believe outside this country, people are as passionate as Americans when it comes to the Olympics. I am not really that sure, but I am very sure about people being passionate about the World Cup. And is not only the participating countries that get in to it. All Latin America, Africa, Europe and Asia get in to the fever of the World cup.

I wish I had real data to argue with you, but I have seen with my own eyes how people react to the World Cup outside this country, and it is very impressive.

And let me also ad something else. A good portion of the people that tune in to the World Cup are casual football fans. Some may even go years without seeing a football match.

2. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    these are definetly wrong, in africa there's not enough tvs, but everywhere there's one there are at least 50 to 100 people watching, the same can be said for a lot of places in asia.
    usually estimates woould be about 1.5 bill. everyone that's is a from a football country would agree that everyone watches the final, so that number in brazil would probably be more than 50 mill for example, or that 300 in Europe would be probably 400, but that 110 in Africa would definetly be somewhere in the 500 region or more.

3. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
  5. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What has been the audience in Germany , France, Russia, Asia ( India, China, Japan, Indonesia etc ), Australia, Latin America, Africa etc ?

6. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I love it. I love that we now get to tell U.S. soccer bashers that the World Cup outdrew the World Series, NBA Finals, etc. And I love that we get to tell soccer's U.S. bashers that we had more World Cup viewers than their countries did.

7. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. violentrl

violentrl Member

Jun 16, 2010
    To Sportsfan1,

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fifafacts/ffprojects/ip-401_05a_tvstats_9299.pdf

So does that beat 2008 Olympics?

9. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's all academic, and percentages still put us to shame, but yeah raw population numbers do make the argument fun. I'll be making that to a few friends this week!

funny - Someone in another thread/board posted a link to an article (I wanna say the WSJ) that questioned the methods used to gather those numbers as polling data isn't scientific in, say, India as it is here.

again it's all academic. They're both large events that are different enough to make comparisons strained. anyone can find the odd statistic to prove one thing or another.

11. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    What the hell is Unique Viewers? Pardon my ignorance.

12. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    ******MOD NOTE *******

Let's keep this thread for a discussion of worldwide ratings. Olympics comparisons should go elsewhere (Sportsfan1, you're free to start another thread if you want to argue about it, but keep it out of here).

Thanks,
    GN

13. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    People not counted twice.

If you watch 32 games, you're counted 32 times in an overall figure (it's the problem with measuring an event that lasts for a long time).

14. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    FL
    Don't know yet but it sets Spanish and Dutch tv records

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/12/world-cup-final-sets-spanish-dutch-tv-records/56772

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    They have a style all their own and an electrifying personality. :D

GN hit it. You are one unique viewer even if you are included in the numbers for 30 games.

16. Hansadyret

Hansadyret Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Bergen, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    More international ratings:

"Certainly the game proved a ratings winner across Europe, with 25.1 million Germans, 71% of the audience, watching on ZDF; 18.4 million, or 66 perfect, of Brits catching the game, which was simulcast across BBC1, BBCHD, ITV1 and ITVH; 13.5 million viewers (63.46 perfect) watched on RAI in Italy and 14.1 million French viewers tuning in on TF1 (a 63 perfect share). TF1 and RAI's results were the best-ever ratings for a soccer game not featuring the national sides."

And in my country Norway the game got a marketshare of 73% and an average of 1,3 million. In Sweden 2,8 million watched the game.

As i understand most of these countries don't use a ratings-system for catching public viewing of sporting events like Canada or Netherlands.

17. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And in China ? I know that Germany - Argentina has been watched by 55 million o viewers and I am curious to know the audience of the final ( I know that the time of the game in China was terrible......... )

18. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MN
    Link? It'd be interesting to see numbers for any country in Asia.

Some Euro countries:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118021623.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

19. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  20. BarcaFan

BarcaFan Member

Nov 14, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What kind of ratings system is used by Canada or Netherlands?

21. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Personal People Meters.

they will be fully operational in the US soon.

all sporting events here will go up.

I can't wait to see how many folks really watch the Superbowl.

22. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    FL
  23. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    funny article about the state of punditry

World Cup 2010: Punditry Unprofessionalism & Joke Journalism | Twohundredpercent

25. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another one: Three and in – not just another football blog » Blog Archive » The impact of the World Cup
    i wonder how they would have liked ESPN's coverage. (ESPN US, not ESPN Int'l - a.k.a. the Tommy Smyth comedy Hour)