Worldwide TV Ratings for the 2010 FIFA World Cup Final

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Pingudo, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The reach of this year's World Cup final could be anywhere between 700-900 million viewers.

Fifa claims 715 million people watched the 2006 WC final.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/marketing/factsfigures/tvdata.html

That was the most realistic figure FIFA has ever provided. Long gone are the days when FIFA used to claim more than a billion viewers for a WC final, although we'll reach the billion mark in the next few World Cups. FIFA now uses a more rigorous approach and more audited data when reporting tv figures, hence the lower numbers.

Early morning in Asia and having two teams from the same confederation won't help maximize ratings but it should still be the second most watched live event in human history after the 2008 Beijing summer olympics opening ceremony.

It's estimated there're about 1.4 billion TV households in the world. China is by far the largest television market in the world with close to 400 million tv households, followed by 2) the European Union = 200m; 3) India = 130m; 4) USA = 115m.

Here's a breakdown by region:

Approximate TV households (in millions)
    Asia Pacific .................730m (China 400m, India 130m)
    Europe East/West ........310m (EU 200m, Russia 52)
    Latin America/Caribbean 140m (Brazil 50m)
    North America .............130m (USA 115m)
    Africa/Middle East ........115m

Here's my estimate. I'll use 3 or 4 persons/household in my calculations:

Asia .............. 9% of households -> 65.7m * 4 ~ 263m viewers
    Europe .......... 32% -> 99.2m * 2.5 ~ 248m viewers
    L.America ....... 20% -> 28m * 4 ~ 112m viewers
    Africa/M.E....... 20% -> 23m * 4 ~ 92m viewers
    North America...11% -> 14.3m * 1.6 ~ 23m viewers

Total worldwide in-home tv viewers: ~ 740 million

Worldwide out-of-home viewing tv audience (pubs, bars, public viewing, private parties, etc) ~ 40-60m viewers, for a global total of 800 million.

DVRs are becoming increasingly popular and could add more viewers.

Online viewers should be in the millions as well.

2. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    These are the numbers from Initiative which gets data from 54 countries accounting for about 85% of the world's TV households.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...nd-most-watched-event-in-human-history-100605

Initiative considers “in home” viewing only. But anyways, if we assume a modest 10% viewership in the remaining 15% of tv households not covered by Initiative we would get an additional 100 million viewers for a total of ~ 738 million in-home tv viewers for the 2006 World Cup final.

3. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    FL
    http://allafrica.com/stories/201006141104.html

The percentages for Africa and Latin America sound about right at 20% but if we're talking about "reach" Europe should be much higher. The average in Europe should be around 25%, but the reach should be something like 40%.

4. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MN
    Well in Spain and Germany the reach is close to 40% as it should be for their own NT. The reach in Holland is said to be 70%+ which doesn't sound right for some reason. Average for other NT games, in France and England is 20% of total population, and 25% in Germany and Austria. If that's the case, a ceiling of 40% in Europe sounds about right, and a reach for the rest of Europe in the 30% range is to be expected.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/world/news/e3ic639ed027f3e13c94c8a4bff9e554189

Also, this shows how fragmented North American viewers are:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/0...wers-have-watched-some-of-the-world-cup/55917

5. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In Italy this final will be watched at least by 16 million of viewers.

6. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Wonder what would the ratings be if India and China were part of WC :eek: :rolleyes:

7. theultimatewarrior

theultimatewarrior New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Don't forget in poorer parts of the world there'll be dozens of people all watching on one tv, i know i'm casting aspersions but i saw if for my own ears in the middle of Asia 8 years ago.

8. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I think the ratings in urban China for this WC should be quite good. It is carried on CCTV5. During my recent visit to Beijing, I was in the lobby of 3 hotels and they all have the schedules and scores of all the matches prominently posted, usually with some kind of promotion for viewing parties.

9. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    FL
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/columns/story?id=806811&cc=5901&ver=us

http://www.eufootball.biz/Television/8388-2010_world_cup_amazing_tv_ratings.html

In China I expect a reach of about 80 million viewers for the final. It's possible at least a third of Asian viewers will be from China, maybe even 40%.

10. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
  11. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    The World Cup. We've been through this one a couple of times around here.

12. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    always counting the "single" events.

how many viewers would a summer or winter olympics get overall vs a world cup.

in the US alone it was more then double for the winter games alone.

I highly doubt the world cup which lets 32 countries in has more viewers worldwide then the olympics..

think of the women

14. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    The winter Olympics do not draw that much international attention, and the olympics well, soccer is the number one sport in the planet so I will think more people will tune in than to see gymnastics or running or swimming.

Plus women outside this country do love their national teams.

15. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1000 % soccer !!!!

16. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Again: We've been through this before. And yes, the World Cup is bigger than the Olympics.

You're looking at it through American glasses. The Olympics are a bigger deal here than just about anywhere else, so you naturally (and understandably) assume it commands that same level of importance elsewhere around the world.

(I am not contending the Olympics aren't a big deal in other places. Obviously they are, and the Beijing opening ceremony was a massive TV hit worldwide. But the World Cup is bigger, and folks around the globe will promptly tell you the same thing.)

17. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there is no way 4.7 different billion people watched the world cup, let alone 3.9 billion.

if you can find numbers for this..I stand corrected.

yeah, no one cares like us...

even when China didn't host them 3.9 billion watched.

I know the world cup gets huge ratings...but there is a lot of repeat audience.....I am trying to find totals like that..with only 32 countries involved..it won;t beat that.

why did you say the olympics aren't the same worldwide when there are numbers like that?

18. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    You're picking one metric and holding it up as the end-all-be-all. (It's also a metric for which I don't know the World Cup comparison. I'm sure there's some specific industry jargon, but "different people" isn't it, and you can search for it if you want.)

Meanwhile, a simple Google search on "bigger olympics world cup" will give you more than enough data -- and other supporting evidence -- to make your head spin. And the broad, even universal, consensus is that the World Cup is the bigger event.

The question posed in this thread was: "So which event is bigger and must popular World wide: The World Cup or the Olympics?" And the answer is the World Cup.

The people who have to put their money where their mouth is -- lots and lots and lots of their money -- will tell you the same thing: http://adage.com/article?article_id=143889

19. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it is watched by hundreds of millions less then the Summer Olympics.

as a singular event it by far the most popular sport...

but he is refering to one sport(soccer) not a collection like the Games.

I agree 100000 percent that the world cup is the biggest single sporting event.

but your using his opinion to dismiss that the Summer games in 2008 had more viewers.

he is refering to things like the Superbowl...not the olympics..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_summer_olympics

204 countries.....4.7 billion viewers.....how can you say the world cup is bigger worldwide.

soccer is by far the most popular singular sport and the world cup is the most popular singular event.

please give me more data that shows the world cup being more popular world-wide then the summer games.

20. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I usually just skim through these cumbersome, convoluted threads about ratings and such, but now I see why everyone gets so frustrated arguing with you.

You're parsing and hair-splitting the guy's statement as if it were some sort of technical legal brief. He didn't sneakily utter the phrase "No. 1 event in all of sports" privately knowing that the Olympics don't count because they're actually a "collection of games." The Olympics is indeed an event, just as the World Cup is an event, just as the story's writer identifies them in his graf introducing the quote: "marketers ... are describing the 2010 FIFA World Cup as a larger event than even the 2008 Beijing Olympics."

I'm not "using his opinion to dismiss that the Summer games in 2008 had more viewers." That's not what my citation of that story did. I'm simply addressing the question that was posed here: "Which is bigger and more popular?"

And who cares about that one quote, anyway? It's just one Ad Age story. There are gazillions more like it. The widely held consensus, based on plenty of data from plenty of sources, is that the World Cup is a bigger, more popular global event than the Olympics.

21. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Dude, not only that, but I had the pleasure of being overseas during a couple of this world Cups, 86, 90, and 2006. And no matter who is playing, everybody is watching.

I am not sure how accurate this measurements are. Think of Latin America and Africa, it is difficult to get proper readings there, but when you are there during this event, everything stops.

Something I have never witness in this country during the World Cup, Including our own in 94.

22. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny it is frustrating arguing with me...you use a subjective statement that you interpret as fact..then dismiss the massive olympic tv audience.

you just say there is a gazillion more stories like it....the olympics had more people watch on tv...clearly they have more people in attendance...why is that dismissed?

SO his statement means the world cup is more popular but the olympics get hundreds of millions more viewers?

ok

23. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

with all due respect...you talking about a minute fraction of people....and then your questioning the ratings report...you wouldn't question it if it was for the world cup.

I cannot dismiss it when it says 4.7 billion unique viewers watched the 2008 summer games..and 3.9 billion before that...and 3.2 billion in 1992...its not like they went from 400 mil to 4 billion...those are some freaking huge numbers...

24. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Ok, so I do not have ratings for any Olympic events. But Think about this. There are so many different sports during the Olympics, and probably Gymnastics and athleticism are the must popular of them all. But do you ever remember anybody showing up to a bar or a plaza or a square to see any olympic event.

That is why this rating thing does not make much sense outside this country. It is very difficult to get accurate ratings outside the United States, but one thing is for sure. I have yet to see Olympic parties at any bars here in The United States of America.

And today here in Southern California every bar was pack with lots of Anglo Americans watching the final of the 2010 World cup between Spain and Holland.

25. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wouldn't you say the same for world up ratings then outside the United States? What would be the difference.....The same patriotism seen in the World Cup is seen in the Olympics..
    the difference is that there are so many events....and it is on multiple channels all day..

the world cup doesn't have that.

so the Olympics cater to many different audiences....over the course of the games.....the amount of viewers is staggering..no single event can touch world cup soccer...but added together it blows by any sporting event.

look at it this way:

the Olympics are on 2-3 channels at one time in many different countries.....over one day in say just the US...

three World Cup soccer games even featuring the US..may have 30 million total viewers....and have an average close to the Olympics.....but the Olympics will have 60-70 million total viewers that day.

cumulatively the world cup blows the Olympics away.

in total viewers the olympics has more.

passion wise the world cup is un-matched.