world war II in japan

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by DCunited11, Sep 28, 2005.

1. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    does anyone know where i can get primary accounts of how the ww2 affected japanese women?? thanks

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCunited11=> Not sure from your question whether you are seeking data on war itself or war's ultimate effects. In any event, I believe there are several sources and I recommend the primary works:

Effects of War Itself on Japan
    John W. Dower's "Embracing Defeat" (1999) details how the Japanese overcame the end of the war, met the challenge of "starting over," and the the fate of Emperor Hirohito. I recommend it highly, as it details the historical subordinate culture of women in Japan and how the end of WWII changed this culture.

War's Ultimate Effects
    Samuel Glasstone's "The Effects of Nuclear Weapons" (1962) and revised edition (1977) charts the phenomenology and effects of nuclear weapon blasts at Hiroshima and Nagasaki on city occupants, which did include many women. Glasstone's "The Effects of Nuclear Weapons" is based on the post-war bomb surveys and radiation assessments of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the Navy's Bureau of Yards and Docks and the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey.

IntheNet

3. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    The best places to find PRIMARY sources (I assume that's what you're looking for) are libraries and archives. I assume you're from the DC area since you support United, so I'd suggest looking at the library of Congress, or in the libraries of any of the colleges and universities in the area.

4. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    I would suggest getting Dower's book (which is excellent) and going through his footnotes to see what primary sources he used, just going to an archive without any particular documents to look for can be an enormous waste of time. Once you do start going to archives, I would recommend checking out the wartime records of state and defense on Japanese society, which are probably housed at the NARA branch in College Park.

If your college library has access to proquest historical newspapers, you might try some searches on there, especially in the Christian Science Monitor. I also think Studs Terkel's The Good War has a couple of oral histories from Japanese women.

5. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    sweet, i will definitely check those out...thanks!