World Stars of the Future?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by jd6885, Jun 1, 2003.

1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who will be the next Beckham, Ronaldo, and Zidane?

Here's my list (in no particular order):

Mourad Meghni (France)
    Andres D'Alessandro (Argentina)
    Freddy Adu (USA)
    Sinama Pongolle (France)
    Caetano (Brasil)
    Darren Fletcher (Scotland)
    Konan Cedric Axel (Ivory Coast)

I like all these guys i listed above, but my favorite right now would have to be Mourad Meghni. I think he's 18 right, now turning 19, but he has good Zidanesque touches.

Who do you guys think has what it takes to be a football superstar?

2. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
  3. Tombo

Tombo New Member

May 31, 2003
    Krimpen, Holland
    - Rafael van der Vaart
    - Nigel de Jong
    - Wesley Sneijder
    - Maarten Stekelenburg

BTW: I'm not to sure about Adu. He can do nice tricks yeah and he goes pas all those defenders with ease but those defenders suck.
    And many players have been heraled as the next big thing but turned out to be absolutely nothing.
    Unlike Adu, Those players above have already proved themselves.

4. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Roque Santa Cruz from Paraguay, plays in Germany. Look out for this kid, he has a big future if he can go to one of the big three leagues.

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robinho and Diego from Santos should be considered. :)
    It's also possible if Donovan becomes a great finisher in 3-4 years and the USA gets consistantly good results, he could become an international star of the 1st order but it's a long shot at this time.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    well jeez give him a chance - he's all of 13 - besides i wouldnt worry too much about freddy, he's got all game... you'll change your tune by the time he signs with AJAX ;)

7. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are there any asian up and comers?

8. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess Koreans might say Yang.
    He destroyed the USA U-17's the other day.
    He's their Freddy, I would say.

9. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see anything great in Landon Donovan. He's fast, yes, but besides that, he doesn't finish very well. Well, I suppose he is talented in his vision. He passes too much and is not greedy enough for a good striker.

10. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    I agree. Donovan is the kind of player that you either love or hate, and that is a good thing, he recieves alot of attention. That attention is gonna get him snatched up by a european team real soon. When he moves to europe, we'll see if he's for real. I have seen a little brilliance from him, but not enough. I think that that kid Convey is way better.

11. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    One of the most promising players today in the world is without a doubt DIEGO of Brazilian club Santos (and wears Pele's #10). He is 18 and already and established star that plays consistently well game after game. Ive watched him play on TV now dozens of times in the last year and he truely is amazing. He plays as if he was a mature adult. His teammate ROBINHO, 19, is talked more about but Robinho's contributions on the field are less than what Diego does. Robinho is like a Denilson style player, flair and dribble as where Diego is a classic midfield brain which organizes the team creates goal situations while also scoring himself some amazing goals.

Freddy Adu if he is really 13 is simply too young to say. Adu is mostly hype at this point and most people that talk about him have seen only clips of him in action. What if this 13 year old grows another 6 or 7 inches in the next 5 years? Would he be too gangly for soccer? One never knows. I will rather sit back and wait to see Adu play professionally before commenting. Ive seen way to many junior promises turn out to be duds to buy the hype.

12. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the above assessment by SoccerScout is great except in that the question for this thread was about stars and being the best isn't the only thing sometimes. Robinho could be a bigger star not having the midfield skills and overall importance to his team that Diego may end up having.
    Beckham is a good example of what I'm trying to say.
    It will also depend on where they end up playing.
    Same for almost any player.
    The "flash" of a Robinho could end up making him a bigger "star" in the end depending on certain factors even if Diego is a better all around player in the end.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    cavenaghi - river plate

he's so good he might make crespo look like fabbro

14. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any transfer talks on him?

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    he's been linked with juventus since the dawn of time... or at least it seems that way

16. Tombo

Tombo New Member

May 31, 2003
    Krimpen, Holland
    Maybe Cavenaghi is a good striker for Ajax :p

17. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never heard of Cavenaghi. Tell me, what type of player is he?

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    if only... apparently some bayern people recently flew down to try and acquire, but no luck

he's a 19-year old striker, a true sniper - oppurtunist and marksman of high order

19. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Shaun Maloney
    Celtics next Henrik Larsson

20. fcbayernfan181

fcbayernfan181 New Member

May 20, 2003
    Rafael van der Vaart has a great future ahead of him. He is a good forward and can also play excellent in midfield. He played brilliantly against the Czech Republic for Holland.

21. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    maloney could be the next Mark Burchill.

I reckon that Freddy Adu will the next Nii Lamptey..

22. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Could but he wont ;)
    I never rated Burchill that highly to be honest with ya ronald, that was a media creation because of his pace and his finishing which is quite good, his first touch and technique in general though are mince.
    Still he does hold the european record for the fastest hat-trick which he got in the uefa cup and he is only 23 or 24 so time is on his side still.

23. Tombo

Tombo New Member

May 31, 2003
    Krimpen, Holland
    Yeah, too overrated now and eventually he's gonna be totally shite

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    have you even seen him play? either way, some free advice: don't wager on this notion

25. Tombo

Tombo New Member

May 31, 2003
    Krimpen, Holland
    Yeah, I've seen him play. But you can't judge someone on how good he's gonna be when he's only 13...