World Soccer Masters Tour @ Sun Life

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by futbol in Miami, May 15, 2012.

1. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We sure are getting spoiled this summer. Apart from the AC Milan-Chelsea match, were also having another friendly game with some of the best players in the world. I think this is great to show case S. Florida and can only help to convince Don Goober and MLS to expand down here ( i still have a bit of hope its Miami), as long as we can continue with successful high attendance.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/13/2796810/fc-barcelona-star-lionel-messi.html

2. footie101

footie101 Member

Feb 15, 2012
    California
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a pretty incredible line up. Apparently Dempsey has been added on as well. Messi alone makes it worthwhile in my opinion. It's not too often we get to see him in the States. Galaxy vs. Real Madrid is all we have in the west coast. World Soccer Masters

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Messi and friends is all good fun and stuff. Maybe it'll be interesting, I don't know. I think it will pale in comparison to the Milan/Chelsea match.

That said, you've really got to stop with the fairy tale thinking that Garber and MLS pay more than scant attention to crowds that show up to see Messi. Everyone shows up to see Messi, it means exactly squat to MLS. If the Strikers manage to make it to the 4th Round of the USOC, and they are lucky enough this time to actually host an MLS team, then you can bet your arse they'll be paying attention. Attendance to watch Messi, the Mexican national team, or Chelsea in no way correlates to the potential for a market to support US club soccer. We continue to have only one way to show our "worthiness" (fair or not) to potential investors in American club soccer, and that's to support the Strikers. Stop me if you've heard this before......Anyone in the tri-county area who truly wants pro soccer at the highest level in our market has to be at every single Strikers match. Period. That's it. That's all that really matters at the end of the day. Garber said this himself. There is everything to gain, not the least of which is what actually should be the most important ingredient, and that's enjoying high quality pro soccer in your own backyard; and there's nothing to lose. It's cheaper than a freaking Marlins game even!

Everyone should have fun watching Messi, absolutely. But if you really want MLS in South Florida (that is what this thread is about) then you have to be at Lockhart tomorrow night, Tuesday night, and every other game night thereafter. If we can average 7,500+ someone who is out there watching us right now and weighing their options will take a chance. No doubt about it.

RedRover repped this.
  4. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i said it can only help.however you cant just simply dismiss it entirely and continue with your essays about joining your cult. weather you like it or not, large crowds attending soccer matches will draw attention as well as tv ratings which our region consistantly does well. we all know its going to take more than that, and by supporting the "local" club, but for better or worse, these friendlies do have and impact, although at a smaller scale.

5. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It really just comes down to this - do you attend Strikers games? Do you actively try to promote the team in any small way that you can by wearing gear around town or inviting friends and family to come to games with you? Like I said above, Messi and friends is great. Personally I think Milan and Chelsea will be more fun for a true soccer fan. Both of them are good for fans of soccer in our area. But you're kidding yourself if you think it matters beyond more than an, "eh, yeah, that's nice." I'm not telling people not to go. Have fun! I hope the Strikers are allowed to use both events as a place to get their brand in front of more fans. That right there is far more meaningful to the pursuit of bringing MLS to South Florida than how many tickets are sold to those other games though. Everyone with sense will tell you - most of the crowd watching those event games are a very different and discerning fan than you have loyally supporting the Strikers, or any other US pro team ever in this market for that matter. And support for American club soccer is the only true measuring stick we have, even if it's imperfect, for projecting support for another team at the top flight. I'm telling you, if the Strikers could grow (and to do so they need much stronger advertising and more money behind them) to an average of 7,500 per game, someone would make a bid for MLS. With support in place already at that level, someone would take the risk on this market because of the potential upside of doing so. It would definitely happen. MLS wants to be here, and someday a better tv deal will make it very attractive to be here.

I don't want to argue my friend. But it frustrates me to no end some of the stuff that gets posted, because it's either misleading, or downright false. At the end of the day we should all be on the same side, supporting everything that matters. Including the Strikers. When a select few scoff at the notion of supporting the only thing we've got - the exact thing Garber said from his own lips is the best thing to do for the cause - it shows me a lack of commitment to the ultimate truth, and instead smacks of personal bias.

Antique repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good, even though Haiti is not that strong the Haitian multitudes that inhabit South Florida will probably turn out en mass. Since the Strikers are on the road that Saturday I may even join them if I can afford a ticket and the parking.

Thanks for the link....:)