World Of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by bostonsoccermdl, Jan 7, 2006.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Anyone else hooked on this game?

I wanted it earlier but didnt have the video card to support it. I finally caved and bought a better one last night along with the game. I have 512 RAM, so it was reccomended I step that up too, which I probably will soon. The games runs well, but not fantastic on my machine as is.

I just got it yesterday, and although it has a bit of a learning curve (which I am beginning) it is fantastic.

Great graphics, alot of ways to customize your character for individuality, and interacting with other people is a little strange but cool.

If anyone has advice on how to get better or develop your character let me know. Right now, I get killed quickly when attacked.

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I played for ages when it first came out. I've got a lvl 53 Elf Druid but I hardly play on it anymore. It just got to similar for me and I couldn't be bothered to advance anymore lvls.

My tips for a beginner is to stick with groups when you try major quests, you'll all complete it and get lots of XP and stuff. Plus you will probably make some friends that will progress with you and so you will be able to help each other on future quests.

My second tip would be don't be afraid of dying, it's part of the game. I lost count of the number of times I died during the first couple of weeks of play. You'll get XP from fighting these monsters and you'll slowly get better.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Is that one of those MMO games? I haven't played any of those, and I'm afraid to start. I know my personality - I'll get hooked on them. ;)

4. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I dont know the term MMO, but it is essentially an online virtual world RPG. Think D&D interacting on a screen.

You interact with others, but also interact with computer designed characters that give you quests, etc. So you can basically play the storyline or make your own with diff people all over the world.

It is a bit overwhelming now for me, but it looks awesome wonce you stsart developing your character.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    MMORPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

So yeah, that's what it is.

:)

6. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Oh man, I am out of the loop! :D

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    What character have you gone for and which server are you on?

Something I forgot from earlier. Try and join a guild. They are basically a clan of players that help each other out and share tips. Try and join a one with a good mix of experianced and newbies and try to join one that doesn't have to many members or you'll be annyomous, one with about 50-75 members.

8. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    an Elf Warrior, male, and not sure of the land. Looks to be "Teldrassil"...

I will look into the guild thing. thanks. Repped.

One thing I noticed is that peoples conversations are commenting/compalining how busy it is and how everyone must have gotten the game for XMAS.. lol...

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Do you have to pay a monthly fee to play the game online?

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Most of the good ones you do about £10-12, but some very clever people have realised that they can make even more money by putting advertising in games and not charging players.

WoW has about 2-3 million players worldwide, which company wouldn't like their name in a game that has that many players? 2-3 million people that spend long periods of time looking at the same areas over and over again. It's like a company putting a poster on the wall of the house of 3 million people.

Look out for big MMO games coming out next year that don't charge.

Also if WoW isn't your cup of tea check out http://www.cityofheroes.com/ it's a superhero type of MMO.

11. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Good lord I had no idea there were that many!! lets say 2,500,000 x 12/month= $30,000,000 x12 months= 360,000,000 per year...

I missed my calling in life.. :(

Anyway, I forgot to mention that I chose my class and race based totally on appearance and "what looked cool" rather than what was ideal. How important is this?

Should I go back and do more research or is it more hype?

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, City Of Heroes looks like a lot of fun. One of my favorite in person RPGs was Champions.

13. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yes but you do have to pay for servers and the upkeep of those 3 million people, plus game development and advertising and such.

Each class has its good and bad points. For example I'm an Elf Druid, I'm very very good at magic and spells but my physical combat and armour grades aren't that good. However a warrior on the otherhand has excellent physical combat and can use all the different types of armour and weapons.

Race doesn't really matter apart from the different sides, the Alliance and Horde.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Have you ever played Freedom Force?

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    No. That's a PC game, right?

Champions is an RPG like Dungeons & Dragons or Call Of Cthulhu.

16. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yeah, it's sort of a Superhero strategy game. It's basically like a 50's comic book that you can play.

D&D Online is out this summer btw.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, I heard. I'm a bit dubious. Playing D&D around a table with a bunch of friends is a lot of fun. However, since Wizards of the Coast bought out TSR, and then Wizards of the Coast were bought out by Hasbro, the quality of the game has gone downhill. If the computer game is based on the older rules it might be good. If it's based on the stupid new Hasbro rules, I don't want to have anything to do with it.

Why yes, I am a computer programmer. How did you guess? :D

18. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's using the d20 system. I have no idea what that means but I assume you do.

19. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Man, this game is challenging. It is a bit frustuating getting going.

You start off with no $$ so it is hard to equip yourself for battles. And you need to kill in order to get expereince and $$. So it ends up being a vicious cycle, and you end up getting killed alot.

Toon, is their any short cuts to speeding up the process (ways to rob to get $$, etc) , or do you just keep grinding out the quests over time?

20. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    \

I have been keeping updates on the D&D game due out in a few months...

link to site below:

http://www.ddo.com/index.php

Seems it will be a forced group play, but hey you know some old timers who used to roll the dice with....meet up and do a party run. They have been trying to keep it as close to pen and paper as they can.

~worm~

21. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Quests are the only real way early in the game to get money and XP, once you get to lvl 5-6 you can start to fight someone the smaller creatures which drop a small amount of coinage and give you a bit of XP, so if you go and kill about 20 of the you get quite a bit. But until you get to about lvl 10-12 the money is small but I found that I got all the items, such as health and magic potions from enemys I killed. You also get alot of good stuff, such as weapons and armour, from the quests you do.

22. Pilum

Pilum New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Runcorn
    60 Warrior, EU Bloodhoof server - when there's a queue of less than 150, anyway, grumble, moan, etc.... That's probably another reason for everywhere being crowded, I know I've started a new character or two on a new Realm because I don't fancy waiting.

Your race isn't really important. It's quite like tabletop D&D in this respect - a Tauren warrior may have a few more HP than a Gnome one, but essentially it's just window dressing. Now your class... THAT matters. Now, the problem with a warrior is we're very gear dependent. When you get good kit, things WILL get a bit easier. I've seen it recommended (and can say it's not a bad guess, from experience) that of ALL classes, a Warrior especially should always aim to have his kit no more than 2 levels below his own. Now that's obviously an 'ideal', but if you try to adhere to that, life will be easier. Unfortunately, that leads to a lot of money being spent in the auction house, and by the nature of our job we also have the highest repair bills of anyone (save perhaps paladins). My lvl 20 warlock already has about 4G+... my new 20 Warrior? Barely 1, IIRC. Still, as the old saying goes, if you can't take a joke... ;)

To do it quickly, I would recommend you try to avoid fighting anything more than one level above your own. 2 is perfectly doable, but usually a hard fight - if another monster gets in on the action you'll probably be in trouble, especially at your level. If you can kill just 'green' monsters (the colour of their level on their picture), sure, you won't get much XP for it, but you WILL go through them a lot quicker with less downtime, so it balances.

Right. Money. It depends really, targetting humanoid monsters will get you some cash, but it's been a while since I started an elf (I wasn't terribly keen on them either, to be honest. Human starting area is a bit better, IMO) and I don't think there are many of those in their starting area. What you're best doing is picking 2 gathering professions, that is, mining, skinning or herbalism, then selling those to either NPC vendors or on the auction house (I imagine that now AH's have been put in ALL major cities, new elves, humans, Tauren and forsaken have a slightly easier time making cash). This is especially the case with the latest "World event", which involves turning in HUGE amounts of material, so prices have just gone ridiculous now, frankly.

In terms of the 'everyman' professions (for want of a better phrase), First Aid should be almost mandatory for a warrior, and you will max that out obscenely quickly. Cooking and fishing are nice bonuses, but not terribly worth the effort in grinding them up.

No robbing, not as a warrior. Rogues can Pick Pockets, but not as a class feature as such (they have to learn it at a later level), and that has the risk of the target noticing something is happening - which can be occasionally somewhat... painful.

I'd recommend a look at the warrior forums too. Ignore the whining, just look at the Talent Build and How To Tank threads. I've actually found the EU forums a bit more 'novice-friendly' in this regard than the US ones. Perhaps the US players all think that everyone playing this game has played every single MMORPG ever created? (Hint: put WOW Europe into google, not just WOW).

But most importantly, have fun! Hope that wasn't TOO rambling! :)

23. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Have 2 60's on Dragonblight, a warrior and a paladin, but I switched to a newer server (Malfurion) a while ago because I was sick of the alliance never winning in PvP battlegrounds.

24. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I may have to check it out.

I'm debating on whether or not to give World Of Warcraft a spin.

25. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC