World Cup Viewing: NYC (pro-USA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nmw365, May 30, 2010.

1. nmw365

nmw365 Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I was hoping some people on here could throw out some ideas of where me and my (not yet of age) friends could meet up to watch the World Cup games in New York City.

2. USAIsraelFan

USAIsraelFan Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Re: World Cup Viewing: NYC

yeah I was wondering too. I heard jack Dempseys is a good spot?

3. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Same here. Planning on Nevada Smiths, but might try Dempseys. Which is better?

4. buyy

buyy New Member

Mar 21, 2010

Nevadas will be packed. I advise going elsewhere. Lunasa on 1st ave is a good choice, like Nevadas but usually less crowded. Best spot might be south street seaport, if I understand correctly, Puma has a month-long event on the pier. They'll be playing the games live and then having music at night (from what I heard).

Since the games are at 9.30 AM or 2PM, its not likely that a bar will card you to get in, and most bars in the city have the games. Just tell them youre underage and there to see the game, order cokes and chill. Bouncers arent usually too strict for me about it when its early in the day (age 20).

5. cmquaker

cmquaker New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Philadelphia
  6. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

-If you go to Nevadas, get there 4 hours early and be prepared to see a fight (English drinking for 4 hours with Americans singing = bad scene)

-Jack Demsey's will be a good spot. I go there often and just came back from the bus trip held by the bar to Philly. Epic Saturday!

-I'm sure there will be a bar for every neighborhood that will be hosting something special. The Parlour, O'Connell's, Kinsale Tavern, The Red Lion, Mercury Bar, Mad River, etc. All probably have something for the events.

7. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There will be many bars in NYC showing the game.

If I was looking for the best pro US atmosphere, I would be going to one of two places:

*Jack Dempseys - where the American Outlaws NYC will be watching. Couldn't really link to their page that well but here is their info:

Watch Every World Cup Match with us at Jack Demseys
    May 21, 2010
    If you are in Manhattan or the outer boroughs come to Jack Demseys for each and every World Cup match. This will be the only pub in the city where you are guaranteed a Pro-US crowd. So don’t risk being thrown in a hot damp crowded basement, come out with the American Outlaws of NYC and have the time of your life. American Outlaws NYC watches all matches in Jack Demsey’s Upstairs lounge on 33rd st. between 5th and 6th. Anyone is welcome no matter what club you support or where you are from.

or

*Scot's Club in Kearny, NJ - where the North Jersey Brigade and many other New Yorkers will be watching (with free transportation from the PATH station for US-England)

I'm more partial to the 2nd option myself since we'll be running that. We'll be having cheap food, cheap drinks and lots of cool prizes. For more info on our watch parties, you can check out our Big Soccer Thread or click here for more information on our website.

I wouldn't go near Nevada's for these games, but that's me.

8. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

in NYC, go to Jack Demsey's.
    Only complete Pro-USA crowd.
    The entire upstairs is reserved for the American Outlaws.
    Plus we get shots anytime we score :cool:

Nevada's..... is a ripe hell hole.
    Only go here if you are English or an American who wishes he was English.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

NYC - Jack Dempseys
    NJ - Scotts Club

10. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree..stay away from Nevada Smith's ..
    BTW..I've sent a few guys to your page on facebook...Looks like you're gonna have a full house.might have to use the upstairs as well

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

gonna be a great time at both places

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A lot of New Yorkers are going to the NJB watch party at Scot's Club. It's going to be a great time and easy to get to, even from the city. I'll be there!

13. xibalba89

xibalba89 New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not of any use to the OP, but Ives' team is hosting a party at Dempsey's on 2nd Ave btwn 4th and 3rd.

Link

14. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Anyone who is near downtown Brooklyn, my buddies and I will be watching at the Blackhorse Pub in Park Slope.

15. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it true that during the Confederations Cup at Nevada Smith's they put the USA vs Egypt game on in the basement and put the Italy-Brazil game on upstairs?

16. xibalba89

xibalba89 New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They actually had both on upstairs, and I seem to remember them being pretty evenly distributed. One of the most exciting soccer experiences I've had, since the Italy-Brazil game made such an impact on the importance of the US-Egypt result.

17. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. chrisnatti

chrisnatti New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nyc usa fans!

Sometimes it's a real drag not having any hard core USA soccer fan friends here in NYC where I live. It's World Cup time and I need a hard core US fan base to watch USA England with. I could use the support so I don't scream at my TV alone.

I want to be surrounded by as many enthusiastic USA fans as possible.

Just wondering if you are in NYC, can you recommend where the biggest group of USA fans will be watching the England match?

I often go to Nevada Smith's which is crazy fun. I was there for the last USA - Mex qualifier. Just wondering if there was an even better spot for US fans.

NYC USA FANS where are you?

Any tips would be helpful.

19. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Nyc usa fans!

SBI is having a viewing party. Check the info here: http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/06/sbi-viewing-party-for-usa-v-england-game.html

20. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC

Or, go to any bar in the East Village. The entire area will be overflowing with people.

For the Euro championship knock out rounds, you could not even get into a bar in the East Village unless you went early.

It is going to be a lot of fun. I can't wait.

21. DjTannerr

DjTannerr Member

Dec 3, 1999
    New York/Milwaukee,WI

Yeah. I've been here for 8 years..... when the world cup hits, NYC is pretty soccer crazy. Virtually EVERY bar/pub is showing the games, even the outdoor TVs in Times Square.

I'd recommend Nevada Smiths, but you probably can't get in unless you're at least 2 hours early. Ha... maybe earlier. And you can't leave or you'll lose your spot.

Honestly, fans are not hard to find. Hell, I watched a US/Italy in a random French bistro (after being rejected from Nevada Smiths). It was intense! Everyone becomes a fan.

22. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I was looking for the best pro US atmosphere in NYC area, I would be going to one of two places:

*Jack Dempseys - where the American Outlaws NYC will be watching. Couldn't really link to their page that well but here is their info:

Watch Every World Cup Match with us at Jack Demseys
    May 21, 2010
    If you are in Manhattan or the outer boroughs come to Jack Demseys for each and every World Cup match. This will be the only pub in the city where you are guaranteed a Pro-US crowd. So don’t risk being thrown in a hot damp crowded basement, come out with the American Outlaws of NYC and have the time of your life. American Outlaws NYC watches all matches in Jack Demsey’s Upstairs lounge on 33rd st. between 5th and 6th. Anyone is welcome no matter what club you support or where you are from.

or

*Scot's Club in Kearny, NJ - where the North Jersey Brigade and many other New Yorkers will be watching (with free transportation from the PATH station for US-England)

I'm more partial to the 2nd option myself since we'll be running that. We'll be having cheap food, cheap drinks and lots of cool prizes. For more info on our watch parties, you can check out our Big Soccer Thread or click here for more information on our website.

23. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DO NOT go to nevada smiths for USA/England....you will be outnumbered and drunk ex-pats are not friendly people. I recommend you head over to jack demseys.

24. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United

This is my backup plan if barbes isn't showing the game. It was a pretty great spot during the euro 2008. Blackhorse has a pretty crappy tv setup for being a soccer bar.

25. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where are we ???? The same place we've been for 2 YEARS NOW..Jack Demsey's 33 street between 5th ave and 6th ave

I repeat..DO NOT GO TO NEVADA SMITHS..its a football pub that is dedicated to the English. When Ireland played England, they took the Irish tri color off the ceiling and stuck the Irish downstairs . For that US vs Mexico game..90% of the US fans that were there for that game, will be in Kearny NJ.

So in the NYC area ..i only know of 2 places that will be PRO USA..Jack Demseys in Manhattan and the Scots Club in Kearny NJ